There are 301 users in the forums

49ERS vs Lions Pregame thread 2023 Season NFCCG

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • titan
  • Veteran
Laporta and Gibbs are Goffs quick escape. Gotta get to them right away without missing a tackle.
Originally posted by scooterhd:
I dont disagree. The thing is, he hasnt been 100% for years. He didnt get injured this week, he got injured in the game and still played well against Vita. He had knee surgery in December, missed one week and came back playing at an all pro level. Hes been on the injury report every single week this year. And every single week last year. He has chronic toe issues, I think considered non operable and he guts it out every game and plays well. So yes, less than 100% is a good thing for us, but I wouldnt expect his actual performance to be any worse then any other week of his.

I'm not denying he's tough as nails…the fact that he was in so much pain last week shows how serious those injuries are. He's not missing this game. I'll take a less than 100% Frank then the other way around..toss in a horrible replacement next to him at LG. There's an advantage there.

also I thought Vita played well
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by BSofSF:
I disagree on Bosa. I don't think he's been effective. Lane Johnson totally neutralized him. On Aaron Jone's big run (that could have knocked us out of the playoffs had the the Packers competently finished) Young was knocked out by a WR and Bosa was jogging half ass in pursuit. I don't know how they grade pressures, but it seems like another way of saying "not getting there". He was clearly playing at a higher level his rookie year and last year when he won DPOY. We need him to be the game changer his contract says he is, not just grade out well in the nefarious world of PFF.

Pay attention to the defensive scheme vs Philly. The plan was to keep hurts in the pocket and force him to be a QB. It wasn't about sacking him. It WORKED and was the game plan for everyone going forward vs Philly. You saw the results.

Pressuring the QB is NOT just a PFF stat…any coach/player will tell you consistent pressure is more important than getting a sack.

I know the company line that you're carrying. And I watched the game against Philly. Yes, they didn't want to over pursue, but Bosa has always been pretty disciplined in that regard and this doesn't represent a total departure from the way he has always played. He is powerful and quick, but almost always deliberate and under control. So what they did scheme wise to Philadelphia was less a change in Bosa than it was maybe in some of the other speed guys like Gregory, Young or Ferrell might over pursue right past the QB in pursuit of a sack only to give up a big QB run. (And no, per Jason Kelce, the rest of the league did not follow the Niners blue print because as he says their subsequent opponents played different defensive schemes than the Niners). Bosa is having a subpar year after resetting the market for DE pay. He's not horrible, he's getting pressures, sure ... but how many games have you come away this year saying, wow, Bosa took over that game. We need impact performances now if we want to win it all. And the idea that a pressure is just as good as a sack is total analytics BS. A sack puts a team behind the sticks and almost always results in a change of possession. A pressure might lead to an interception or something less like a mere incompletion, or even a mobile QB escaping that pressure and running for a first down or hitting a WR on a scramble drill. Pressures are a consolation prize for a nice effort that doesn't finish the job.
[ Edited by BSofSF on Jan 25, 2024 at 1:57 PM ]
Originally posted by tankle104:

If no setback, he definitely playing.
I know the company line that you're carrying. And I watched the game against Philly. Yes, they didn't want to over pursue, but Bosa has always been pretty disciplined in that regard and this doesn't represent a total departure from the way he has always played. He is powerful and quick, but almost always deliberate and under control. So what they did scheme wise to Philadelphia was less a change in Bosa than it was maybe in some of the other speed guys like Gregory, Young or Ferrell might over pursue right past the QB in pursuit of a sack only to give up a big QB run. (And no, per Jason Kelce, the rest of the league did not follow the Niners blue print because as he says their subsequent opponents played different defensive schemes than the Niners). Bosa is having a subpar year after resetting the market for DE pay. He's not horrible, he's getting pressures, sure ... but how many games have you come away this year saying, wow, Bosa took over that game. We need impact performances now if we want to win it all. And the idea that a pressure is just as good as a sack is total analytics BS. A sack puts a team behind the sticks and almost always results in a change of possession. A pressure might lead to an interception or something less like a mere incompletion, or even a mobile QB escaping that pressure and running for a first down or hitting a WR on a scramble drill. Pressures are a consolation prize for a nice effort that doesn't finish the job.

Stopped reading when said it was riding the company line

you think pressures mean nothing and are a made up stat. I don't

Looks like a go to me.
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:

I'm confident He'll play and have a monster game too.

Looks like a go to me.
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:

I'm confident He'll play and have a monster game too.

Put his all out there and then if we win, he will have two weeks off to get better.

even if he doesn't get a ton of catches/runs, just having him out there as a decoy is huge. If they slip up and give him room, get him the ball and he can just get down. Lol

Laporta is only averaging like 10.3 yards per reception which is good for 46th in the league amongst TE's. He is 27th in passer rating when targeted and is tied for 4th most INT's when targeted. I think where Laporta is most dangerous is in the redzone. He leads the league with 10 TD catches among TE's. So I imagine we'll be giving him extra attention in that area.

St. Brown is only averaging 12.7 yards per reception which is 51st lowest among WR's in the league. He is 88th in the league in ADoT. He is 17th in the league in YAC per reception, is tied for 9th in missed tackles forced and he is also a big redzone threat with 10 TD catches.

Jared Goff is dead last in the league in deep ball attempts amongst QB's with atleast 18 attempts. Has 5 TD's to 4 INT's on the deep ball. So I don't imagine him testing the deep ball much if at all in this game. Especially against a secondary that leads the league in INT's. He is ranked ranked 32nd in BTT% at 3.1% on all dropbacks. He is 38th in the league in ADoT.

DET is 12th in the league in YAC per completion and 8th in the league in 1stD%. If we slow down their rushing attack and we tackle well, we should win easily.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Stopped reading when said it was riding the company line

you think pressures mean nothing and are a made up stat. I don't

Stopped reading when you saw the number of words because you don't want to engage. I said sacks are better than pressures. We are settling for all this pressure BS because we're not getting sacks and we want to still be supportive of our guys. A pressure is better than nothing. A pressure can force the QB to make a mistake and throw a pick. I'll take a sack, or a strip sack, over a pressure any day of the week.
Stopped reading when you saw the number of words because you don't want to engage. I said sacks are better than pressures. We are settling for all this pressure BS because we're not getting sacks and we want to still be supportive of our guys. A pressure is better than nothing. A pressure can force the QB to make a mistake and throw a pick. I'll take a sack, or a strip sack, over a pressure any day of the week.

For the love of god at least break it up into paragraphs….If you want to have a convo.

like I said consistent pressure is more meaningful than a random sack a game. SF is getting consistent pressure, which matters more. That's my point
  • Disp
  • Veteran

Oh hell yes!
Jonah Jackson missed 5 games during the regular season. The Lions gave up 3, 2, 1, 5, and 3 sacks for an average of 2.8 sacks per game against without Jackson. In the 12 games with Jackson they averaged 1.42 sacks against.
Share 49ersWebzone