There are 251 users in the forums

49ERS vs Lions Pregame thread 2023 Season NFCCG

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Originally posted by scooterhd:
Jonah Jackson missed 5 games during the regular season. The Lions gave up 3, 2, 1, 5, and 3 sacks for an average of 2.8 sacks per game against without Jackson. In the 12 games with Jackson they averaged 1.42 sacks against.

Nice detective work! Bodes well for this Sunday.
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Stopped reading when said it was riding the company line

you think pressures mean nothing and are a made up stat. I don't

Stopped reading when you saw the number of words because you don't want to engage. I said sacks are better than pressures. We are settling for all this pressure BS because we're not getting sacks and we want to still be supportive of our guys. A pressure is better than nothing. A pressure can force the QB to make a mistake and throw a pick. I'll take a sack, or a strip sack, over a pressure any day of the week.

I am sure that pressure has had a lot to do with leading the league in INT's. So its not nothing. We are 2nd among all playoff teams in giving up TD's when we get pressure. We are 3rd among all playoff teams in passer rating allowed when we get pressure. 3rd among all playoff teams in INT's when we get pressure. Sacks aren't everything. Speeding up a QB's proccessing is more important imo. It leads to mistakes.

"it's almost because of Jimmy G and what people said about him". Hit that on the head.
Originally posted by tankle104:

"it's almost because of Jimmy G and what people said about him". Hit that on the head.
damn furlow, SD & 4f6 caused this !
Originally posted by YACBros85:

Stopped reading when you saw the number of words because you don't want to engage. I said sacks are better than pressures. We are settling for all this pressure BS because we're not getting sacks and we want to still be supportive of our guys. A pressure is better than nothing. A pressure can force the QB to make a mistake and throw a pick. I'll take a sack, or a strip sack, over a pressure any day of the week.

I am sure that pressure has had a lot to do with leading the league in INT's. So its not nothing. We are 2nd among all playoff teams in giving up TD's when we get pressure. We are 3rd among all playoff teams in passer rating allowed when we get pressure. 3rd among all playoff teams in INT's when we get pressure. Sacks aren't everything. Speeding up a QB's proccessing is more important imo. It leads to mistakes.

I understand that there is a logic to it, and I get that there is a correlation perhaps to interceptions. But there is also a more positive effect of sacking a QB repeatedly and rattling his cage. A sack puts a team behind the sticks, it often can result in a fumble, a very, very near sack (a pressure) can force an errant throw or a deflected interception, a sack can send a jolt of energy through the team and crowd that changes momentum, and repeated sacks can so rattle a QB as to make them inaccurate and skittish for the remainder of the game.

Second paragraph (for the benefit of NY) ... I would analogize the flawed logic of "a pressure is as good as a sack" to the same conservative mentality that led Shanahan to rationalize his handling of the final drive in the first half. He could have went for the jugular and tried to go up 8 points and receive the second half kickoff, balanced against possible failure and leaving GB with one final 45 second opportunity to put up points. He took the conservative approach. Many have criticized that decision. Shanahan has his reasons, he won't admit there was a mishandling, etc.

Concerns me a little to be measured and conservative facing a very aggressive Detroit. We need to put the peddle to the metal, put up 35, and SACK Goff's ass 4-5 times, not worry about the analytics of time of possession and the fruits of QB pressures. Should be a moot point with Goff. He's a relative statue. Get after his ass, and do it right up the middle where they are weakend by injury.
[ Edited by BSofSF on Jan 25, 2024 at 2:36 PM ]
Go 49ers!
  • DrEll
  • Veteran

I love Steve Young, but he's a hardcore homer. He would prop Jimmy up when he was on this roster. This Luke Skywalker stuff is a bit much…
I wish I could just fall asleep and wake up at 6pm sunday(eastern time)
Originally posted by DrEll:

I love Steve Young, but he's a hardcore homer. He would prop Jimmy up when he was on this roster. This Luke Skywalker stuff is a bit much…

young is a very small amount of the video. It's more of Pat mcafee, the old colts coach, AJ Hawk, and the boys talking about brock.
I mostly agree with what coach says as to what D-line pressure with 4 players does against the enemy QB , especially as it pertains to keeping a mobile QB contained to the pocket and not giving up big gains on a scramble, ( and that can keep the score down) Ideally, we get pressure and some sacks, as many times a sack can be a drive killer and that also can help keep the score down. The players have given assignments and keys according to that particular defensive play call and situation. We have won a lot of games this season and I don't see that defensive philosophy changing much.

Originally posted by njninersfan420:

i wish someone could see the future and just tell me if we won so i can be stress free
Originally posted by YACBros85:

I understand that there is a logic to it, and I get that there is a correlation perhaps to interceptions. But there is also a more positive effect of sacking a QB repeatedly and rattling his cage. A sack puts a team behind the sticks, it often can result in a fumble, a very, very near sack (a pressure) can force an errant throw or a deflected interception, a sack can send a jolt of energy through the team and crowd that changes momentum, and repeated sacks can so rattle a QB as to make them inaccurate and skittish for the remainder of the game.

Second paragraph (for the benefit of NY) ... I would analogize the flawed logic of "a pressure is as good as a sack" to the same conservative mentality that led Shanahan to rationalize his handling of the final drive in the first half. He could have went for the jugular and tried to go up 8 points and receive the second half kickoff, balanced against possible failure and leaving GB with one final 45 second opportunity to put up points. He took the conservative approach. Many have criticized that decision. Shanahan has his reasons, he won't admit there was a mishandling, etc.

Concerns me a little to be measured and conservative facing a very aggressive Detroit. We need to put the peddle to the metal, put up 35, and SACK Goff's ass 4-5 times, not worry about the analytics of time of possession and the fruits of QB pressures. Should be a moot point with Goff. He's a relative statue. Get after his ass, and do it right up the middle where they are weakend by injury.

Sacks are great for the stat sheet sure and it can get the crowd into it. However they have nowhere near as much of an impact as an INT has on the crowd or in the game. Lets be real. Also, some context needs to be taken into consideration here. GB max protected, chipped, double teamed a lot in that game. I mean a lot a lot. The pressure forced Love to make a few errant throws with 2 of them being INT'd. I will take 2 of those in the 4th quarter over 2 sacks every single game.

He *might* go down in the history books? lolol..after that 1st SEA game (2nd start) I said this guy is going to go down in NFL history books. Late to the party folks haha. But better late than never
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by njninersfan420:

i wish someone could see the future and just tell me if we won so i can be stress free

35-21 niners. Purdy 3 tds 333 yards, kittle td 90 yards, aiyuk td 120 yards, juice receiving td, cmc 84 rushing yards 2 tds. Bosa 1.5 sackarooni's, young .5 sack, hargrave 1 sack. Lenoir 1 int, Gipson 1 int
Originally posted by DrEll:

Homer huh? No way man. Dude speaks truth. Jimmy was good for a while but never have I seen Steve so outspoken about a player after he left the Niners. He is totally a fan of Brock big time because BP is amazing. I like The Force talk lol..just a way to say, he's got IT. Not many do..it's really something special
Share 49ersWebzone