There are 287 users in the forums

49ERS vs Lions Pregame thread 2023 Season NFCCG

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by Montana:
Goff is a solid QB but he really only plays well when things are going well for him. Give him some adversity and he struggles really bad.

for him to have the year he's had, it's taken an elite o line and bevy of weapons.

he would struggle here because the o line protection isn't very good. Brocks ability to play under pressure and avoid pressure has been pivotal in this sessons success.

this will be our easiest game this post season. I'm more worried about getting out of this game healthy.

I am guessing we will contain Hutch a bit better than TB did lol..I hope so anyway. Let him just fly through, totally uncovered at least twice. I think we can rattle Goff..this ain't no Tampa Bay..this is the fking Niners. Defense better step up hard though.

Tampa was just letting guys fly off the edges unguarded. Lol baker didn't even see them a few times. We can't let that happen.

we have to watch out for that CB blitz.

On the long CMC touchdown run versus GB, there was a CB blitz, and it played a role in the play as it removed one downfield defender for CMC to have to evade. I know that has little to do with what you said since you're referring to passing plays. Just interesting to note.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Laporta is only averaging like 10.3 yards per reception which is good for 46th in the league amongst TE's. He is 27th in passer rating when targeted and is tied for 4th most INT's when targeted. I think where Laporta is most dangerous is in the redzone. He leads the league with 10 TD catches among TE's. So I imagine we'll be giving him extra attention in that area.

St. Brown is only averaging 12.7 yards per reception which is 51st lowest among WR's in the league. He is 88th in the league in ADoT. He is 17th in the league in YAC per reception, is tied for 9th in missed tackles forced and he is also a big redzone threat with 10 TD catches.

Jared Goff is dead last in the league in deep ball attempts amongst QB's with atleast 18 attempts. Has 5 TD's to 4 INT's on the deep ball. So I don't imagine him testing the deep ball much if at all in this game. Especially against a secondary that leads the league in INT's. He is ranked ranked 32nd in BTT% at 3.1% on all dropbacks. He is 38th in the league in ADoT.

DET is 12th in the league in YAC per completion and 8th in the league in 1stD%. If we slow down their rushing attack and we tackle well, we should win easily.

Cool man, thanks for that..but maybe he will go full Jordan Love and shoot for that deep ball anyway under pressure and Big Play Dre gets another inty:)

I'm shocked Goff's deep throws numbers are that low. I thought they were a good playaction, hit the intermediate, type of passing attack. What is a deep ball attempt classified as? Maybe Goff's numbers in the intermediate range is good?

Deep ball is 20+

Goff is 17th in intermediate (10-19) pass attempts. He has been efficient from that range ranking 8th in completion % and having a 11:3 TD to INT ratio.
  • thl408
Laporta is only averaging like 10.3 yards per reception which is good for 46th in the league amongst TE's. He is 27th in passer rating when targeted and is tied for 4th most INT's when targeted. I think where Laporta is most dangerous is in the redzone. He leads the league with 10 TD catches among TE's. So I imagine we'll be giving him extra attention in that area.

St. Brown is only averaging 12.7 yards per reception which is 51st lowest among WR's in the league. He is 88th in the league in ADoT. He is 17th in the league in YAC per reception, is tied for 9th in missed tackles forced and he is also a big redzone threat with 10 TD catches.

Jared Goff is dead last in the league in deep ball attempts amongst QB's with atleast 18 attempts. Has 5 TD's to 4 INT's on the deep ball. So I don't imagine him testing the deep ball much if at all in this game. Especially against a secondary that leads the league in INT's. He is ranked ranked 32nd in BTT% at 3.1% on all dropbacks. He is 38th in the league in ADoT.

DET is 12th in the league in YAC per completion and 8th in the league in 1stD%. If we slow down their rushing attack and we tackle well, we should win easily.

Cool man, thanks for that..but maybe he will go full Jordan Love and shoot for that deep ball anyway under pressure and Big Play Dre gets another inty:)

I'm shocked Goff's deep throws numbers are that low. I thought they were a good playaction, hit the intermediate, type of passing attack. What is a deep ball attempt classified as? Maybe Goff's numbers in the intermediate range is good?

Deep ball is 20+

Goff is 17th in intermediate (10-19) pass attempts. He has been efficient from that range ranking 8th in completion % and having a 11:3 TD to INT ratio.

Thanks. Okay Goff seems to do his damage in that intermediate range. Perhaps the 49ers can squat in those areas, not having to fear the deep ball.

Thank you for posting this. I've been saying this all week to people. They have very good weapons but they're not explosive. Goff sucks under pressure…..If I haven't said it 100 hundred times before
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BSofSF:
I agree that pressures can create INTs. I agree that INTs are usually better than sacks. What I am surprised at actually looking at the numbers is that, statistically, the number of sacks is pretty comparable in 2019, 2022, and 2023. Picks are pretty comparable in 2022 and 2023, though very low in 2019, which I attribute to Jimmy Ward at FS, who was useless for picks at that stage of his career. This defense doesn't feel dominant, particularly lately, but in those stat categories they are actually better than last year. Bosa is unable to dominate as he has in the past, but the production has been picked up by others from the extra attention Bosa is getting. So why do I feel like this defense is going soft at the exact wrong time? I don't know, but it's a nagging feeling.
I also feel the defense is much softer than the 2019 team. The Kyle offense hides a lot of defensive weaknesses. Hargrave isn't a two gapper like Buckner was. He's an interior pass rusher and can get washed out on the runs. They are missing guys like DJ Jones who are two gappers and can shoot the gaps almost as well as Hargrave.

Opposing teams are also using more of the quick passing and running games to stay out of 3rd and longs.

The solution in my opinion is to get another DJ Jones in there along with Hargrave and Armistead. Also shore up the cornerbacks to avoid those long quick passing drives and atheltically talented enough not to cause a 41 yard pass interference penalty.
On the long CMC touchdown run versus GB, there was a CB blitz, and it played a role in the play as it removed one downfield defender for CMC to have to evade. I know that has little to do with what you said since you're referring to passing plays. Just interesting to note.

That's cool, I didn't realize that. I think the lions defense is going to be ultra aggressive and we need to keep our heads on a swivel to make them pay.
2019 Defense: 48 sacks; 12 INTs
2022 Defense: 44 sacks; 20 INTs
2023 Defense: 48 sacks; 22 INTs

The sacks this year are actually higher, which surprises me, though Bosa's numbers are way off. The INTs are marginally higher this year. So, the numbers don't really back up my argument.

Pressures like every other stat can be misrepresented. I think mixed in with QB hits is the better way.
I do believe the QB needs to actually FEEL the pressure, not just sense it.
Hoping we see a little of this side of Goff lol

Hoping we see a little of this side of Goff lol

Yes please!
Tampa was just letting guys fly off the edges unguarded. Lol baker didn't even see them a few times. We can't let that happen.

we have to watch out for that CB blitz.

Brock has better awareness than Baker, stating the obvious here but lol. Lions about to play a real team haha

Jahmyr Gibbs is smaller than I thought he was. 5'9 200. Obviously he's really good. I just thought he was like 6 foot
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
2019 Defense: 48 sacks; 12 INTs
2022 Defense: 44 sacks; 20 INTs
2023 Defense: 48 sacks; 22 INTs

The sacks this year are actually higher, which surprises me, though Bosa's numbers are way off. The INTs are marginally higher this year. So, the numbers don't really back up my argument.

Pressures like every other stat can be misrepresented. I think mixed in with QB hits is the better way.
I do believe the QB needs to actually FEEL the pressure, not just sense it.

this was back on 12/7. Does anyone have the QB pressures per year for the 49ers?

Looks like Hutchinson got 6 more pressures and 1 sack more than bosa this year.

[ Edited by tankle104 on Jan 25, 2024 at 3:52 PM ]

Looks like Hutchinson got 6 more pressures and 1 sack more than bosa this year.

988 (Hutchinson) vs 821 (Bosa) snaps.
I am sure that pressure has had a lot to do with leading the league in INT's. So its not nothing. We are 2nd among all playoff teams in giving up TD's when we get pressure. We are 3rd among all playoff teams in passer rating allowed when we get pressure. 3rd among all playoff teams in INT's when we get pressure. Sacks aren't everything. Speeding up a QB's proccessing is more important imo. It leads to mistakes.

Bingo
Share 49ersWebzone