There are 373 users in the forums

49ERS vs Lions Pregame thread 2023 Season NFCCG

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Originally posted by BSofSF:
2019 Defense: 48 sacks; 12 INTs
2022 Defense: 44 sacks; 20 INTs
2023 Defense: 48 sacks; 22 INTs

The sacks this year are actually higher, which surprises me, though Bosa's numbers are way off. The INTs are marginally higher this year. So, the numbers don't really back up my argument.

Pressures like every other stat can be misrepresented. I think mixed in with QB hits is the better way.
I do believe the QB needs to actually FEEL the pressure, not just sense it.

How pressure affects the QB is what I am most interested in. Sacks are only 1 of 5 efficiency stats that I look for when judging how affective a pass rush is. The other 4 are passer rating, TD%, INT% and 1st down%. Pressure rate by itself isn't all that telling.
Definitions from Pro Football Reference

Pressures: QB pressures (hurries + knockdowns + sack plays). Note that "sack plays" in this instance include both sacks and assists.

Hurried: Times QBs were hurried - defined as a situation when the QB is forced to throw the ball earlier than intended or is chased around/out of the pocket as the result of defensive pressure

So, a "pressure" includes a sack and a hurry, but a hurry may simply mean the QB was forced to throw it earlier than intended or chased around/out of the pocket. This is what my eyes are telling me, that you can have a hurry, but it can be pretty ineffectual if you have an elusive QB who evades pressure and makes an off-schedule play. This is why I think the pressure stat is overvalued because it is not tantamount to causing an interception. It MIGHT cause an interception. It might simply cause a QB to run, or chuck it out of bounds. A sack is always a positive. A pressure is sometimes a positive. And as another poster said, I would rather have Goff feel the pain of a Nick Bosa sack than move off of his spot in reaction to a threatened sack.
Originally posted by scooterhd:
Originally posted by tankle104:

Looks like Hutchinson got 6 more pressures and 1 sack more than bosa this year.

988 (Hutchinson) vs 821 (Bosa) snaps.

Damn, 167 more snaps. thats 20.34% more snaps than bosa. That would give bosa 18 more pressures and 2 more sacks. Passing him 😏

seems like out of the guys in that list, bosa has one of the lowest snap counts.
Micah parsons played 864
[ Edited by tankle104 on Jan 25, 2024 at 4:12 PM ]

Soon.

The LG thing is not really breaking news. That guy had minor knee surgery on his knee this week. There was no way he was going to be able to go. The center, on the other hand, sounds like the second coming of Jim Otto. He will play and simply deal with the artificial knee replacements down the road. But surely he must be weakened against a good strong bull rush up the gut.
Of the recent 49ers in NFCCG, the current defense would probably stack up this way:
2019 > 2021 > 2022 > 2023
Originally posted by 49ersking:
Of the recent 49ers in NFCCG, the current defense would probably stack up this way:

Now do the offense.
Originally posted by YACBros85:

Now do the offense.

2023>2022>2019>2021

imo
Originally posted by scooterhd:

Looks like Hutchinson got 6 more pressures and 1 sack more than bosa this year.

988 (Hutchinson) vs 821 (Bosa) snaps.

Nice catch! So he would probably be first in the NFL or at least right behind Parsons because Dallas and the Niners had some big leads this year and rested their starters

I am definitely seeing a 38 - 24 score Niners
[ Edited by elguapo on Jan 25, 2024 at 4:37 PM ]

Now do the offense.

Reverse order.

Now do the offense.

Reverse order.

Eh it could be argued that last years was the worst cause we didn't have a QB. Lol
2023 > 2019 > 2021 > 2022

Was not expecting him to be moving around so well. Nice!
Share 49ersWebzone