There are 267 users in the forums

49ERS vs Lions Pregame thread 2023 Season NFCCG

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Stopping the run Is the only real cause for concern Imo, especially with the amount of missed tackles we seem to have on defense.
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Stopping the run Is the only real cause for concern Imo, especially with the amount of missed tackles we seem to have on defense.

It's the concern every game. This one not special.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersvsPackers:
How many times in a row have you guys beaten Dallas in the playoffs now? I know you guys missed out on that this year but didn't you beat them last year?

They are very much a one dimensional team under McCarthy.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by swoosh6996:
Skip just said he thinks the Niners will "boat race" the Lions on Sunday. Did he hit his head or something? I could have swore everyone is on the Lions bandwagon this week

Kiss of death. Good luck in the Super Bowl Detroit!

f**king Pete Prisco picked the 49ers too.

Good season, we'll get them next year!

They both must have seen the Deebo catching the ball clips on the internet.
Originally posted by 49ersvsPackers:
How many times in a row have you guys beaten Dallas in the playoffs now? I know you guys missed out on that this year but didn't you beat them last year?

Not nearly enough. Got a lot of playoff losses to make up for.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by tankle104:
I would like to see brown in as well. Especially to help stop the lions run game. I love him as a prospect. I think he has a super bright future here. I expect brown and Huf to be our safeties next year, as long as Huf comes back strong - which I think he will.

Agreed. They might catch a break with Huf's injury and his upcoming contract. I'm not breaking the bank for him (or really any safety).

I wouldnt mind trying to draft some serious speed in the secondary.
Agree. I love Huff's game, but he's an injury risk. You need some depth there if Huff is your starter.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:
I thought we are favorites to win the Superbowl because we have a better chance to beat the Lions than the Ravens have to beat the Chiefs, so we have a lot better chance to get to the Superbowl, which makes us have a better chance to win the superbowl.

Of course if it is the 49ers vs the Ravens for the Superbowl, I'm certain we will be the underdogs.

I think it will be Niners favored by 1.5

Maybe, but it would require us to blow out the Lions and look really good and the Ravens to escape the Chiefs with a win while not looking that good with turnovers. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure the Ravens will be favorites.

I agree. I can't believe we'd be favorites winning the Superbowl after the Christmas game.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
People picking Detroit has less to do with tape and analysis and more to do with the emotional factor of wanting to see an underdog. Lots of "it would be such a great story" justifications.

but the Niners have their own underdog.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Health is always a big factor in the playoffs. It affects making it in, staying in, and getting into the Superbowl.

Health is massive. The difficult part is that part of health is just luck. :/ we've been pretty unlucky health wise. Things have been good this year, so far, praying it stays that way.

chiefs just lost an all pro guard in thurny (sp?) at least for the ravens game.

Agree about Health and Luck. There's a whole thread on that - which I won't revisit. One thing I've always felt is that the QB has a role in that injury luck situation. Brock doesn't throw hospital balls if he can avoid it. The more you keep the defense off the field, because Brock can convert 3rd downs, it seems the healthier the defense usually is. The better your passer is, the less defenses can overload the run and gang tackle the RB and cause injury. Stuff like that, I think - from an injury standpoint, how the QB can affect the entire health of the team.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by okdkid:
People picking Detroit has less to do with tape and analysis and more to do with the emotional factor of wanting to see an underdog. Lots of "it would be such a great story" justifications.

but the Niners have their own underdog.

Yea there should be a disclaimer underneath when they've making their picks *wanting is not the same as believing.

these are emotional picks. Just heard the GMFB crew pick their winners. Whereas the Niner pickers go with Shanahan and what Brock can do, the Lions pickers go with heartfelt emotional reasoning.

Regardles I hope the team doesn't come out flat this Sunday. We need to make a statement.

The Lions are just another team in our way of our unfinished business
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by elguapo:
Tbh, I was surprised that we are favorites rn. I actually saw some Vegas odds where we were favored in a matchup over KC & BAL. I was surprised, specifically BAL.

im guessing it has a lot to do with the fact that we got a ton of big plays on them but turned the ball over 4 times (with Brock), 3 of them were fluky - and they only had like an 8 point lead.

if the turnover battle is even or even 1-0 in their favor, we should have an excellent chance at beating them.

This x 1000. Fluky plays indeed. Most of the time 3 of those ints would be incomplete passes. We were running at Will and easily passing on their "great defense"

Also Lamar Jackson in the playoffs may have a bit to do with it and their lack of star power on offense. At least Andrews is back at TE for them.

IMO the odds should be close to even with the niners having the slight edge

Personally, just me, I think the Ravens were more skillful than lucky. They are a good defense this year. John Harbaugh is a good defensive coach. He's an all around coach - similar to Kyle and Bill Walsh - in that he's coached both offense and defense. But he played on the defensive side of the ball when he was younger. I think you have to be skillful and instinctive in playing defense. Hufanga isn't the fastest guy on the defense, but once he got injured, the 49er defensive stats went down. I see those Brock Purdy interceptions a result of good Ravens players being in the right spot at the right time because of instincts, vs just being lucky. Just IMO.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
we need the defense to ball in this game

You'd think Kyle and Wilks would have plenty experience to deal with the E-P system the Lions run.

I think it's more talent vs talent in the playoffs vs scheme. Both teams have a good offensive scheme.
I feel like having a good portion of our starters not playing meaningful football since 12/31 might have played a small part in coming out flat in that GB game.
In Kyle's run, the 2019 path to the superbowl was the outlier, too easy. the others have all been interesting and exciting. I have SF to win by 10 on Sunday, but I also expect some surprises, there always is. I think Brock bounces back in a big way, and on defense, my guy to watch out for is Lenoir, the budding star. He'll see a lot of action covering a banged up Joshua Reynolds in the slot. I'm talking game changing pick, baby! GO 49ERS
[ Edited by BP13 on Jan 26, 2024 at 8:49 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone