There are 335 users in the forums

49ERS vs Lions Pregame thread 2023 Season NFCCG

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Ruixx
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by 49ersking:
True, however, I think the coaching staff knows the risks, and maybe that's a positive? Play for a TD vs a FG, but then would Kyle take that chance? So many questions. Yeah, he is a rookie, but a big drop off from Robbie G. Playoffs come down to a FG most of the time, so sure, there is some concern.

I said it the moment he was drafted. You got a ready made SB roster with a ton of vets. You than go draft a rookie kicker (overdraft) and pray to god he doesn't s**t his pants.

I am a fan of Kyle and Lynch and will defend a lot of their decisions but this is the one that has me cursing every week. I just do not understand what happened here. And I would love anyone to explain it to me because it made zero effing sense to spend such a high draft pick on a kicker and let an experienced proven vet walk.
Originally posted by Ruixx:
True, however, I think the coaching staff knows the risks, and maybe that's a positive? Play for a TD vs a FG, but then would Kyle take that chance? So many questions. Yeah, he is a rookie, but a big drop off from Robbie G. Playoffs come down to a FG most of the time, so sure, there is some concern.

I said it the moment he was drafted. You got a ready made SB roster with a ton of vets. You than go draft a rookie kicker (overdraft) and pray to god he doesn't s**t his pants.

I am a fan of Kyle and Lynch and will defend a lot of their decisions but this is the one that has me cursing every week. I just do not understand what happened here. And I would love anyone to explain it to me because it made zero effing sense to spend such a high draft pick on a kicker and let an experienced proven vet walk.

Robbie was 40+ and at that age, kickers are a bit of a gamble at that point, you can't just roster Robbie til 50. In terms of why did the break with Robbie happen in 2023, well he was off contract. And if I recall correct, he began the offseason saying he's done with SF.
Originally posted by BP13:
"If we want to win this game, I'm putting it all on the defense's hands." - All Pro Fred Warner

If Warner said that, my guess he is not talking about the LB core. We all know who is he asking to freakin' step up!

DL has to step up, no question about it. If we're winning it all they have to play like they SHOULD. Which unfortunately has not been how they actually play.

Though I am hopeful the rain didn't give us the best look at what the unit can really do.

DL plays well and we're beating the Lions. SB will be a challenge vs Lamar or Mahomes but either way it will be about pressuring them but not letting them make plays with their legs whether running it or more dangerously - buying time with their legs and hitting for big plays in scramble drills.

We have the defense to get this done and an offense that should be good enough to give the defense some leeway.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Robbie was 40+ and at that age, kickers are a bit of a gamble at that point, you can't just roster Robbie til 50. In terms of why did the break with Robbie happen in 2023, well he was off contract. And if I recall correct, he began the offseason saying he's done with SF.

I don't know what happened behind closed doors. I also think Kyle and Lynch seem to treat players with respect, at least based on insider reports. End of the day, players would play for the 49ers if the $ was right, it's a business in the end. If I have to guess, the 49ers were probably stingy, and that would be a mistake in a SB window.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran

That's not an excuse. You're basically saying that Niner brass was anticipating that Robbie game would decline, therefore decided to cut ties and draft a rookie. Makes no sense. Sure if Robbie's game was indeed on a steep decline and he was becoming a liability then I'm all for moving on from him. But that wasn't the case. The other excuse is his contract demand, which we know is also lane given our front office's ability to make room for players when needed.

Kyle / Lynch knew this was a Super Bowl or bust year. They decided to drop off from a proven winner and go with someone not as reliable. With Robbie we win the Cleveland game. With Robbie we go in leading 10-6 vs GB and maybe it's not so close.
Originally posted by DrEll:

Robbie was 40 and at that age, kickers are a bit of a gamble at that point, you can't just roster Robbie til 50. In terms of why did the break with Robbie happen in 2023, well he was off contract. And if I recall correct, he began the offseason saying he's done with SF.

That's not an excuse. You're basically saying that Niner brass was anticipating that Robbie game would decline, therefore decided to cut ties and draft a rookie. Makes no sense. Sure if Robbie's game was indeed on a steep decline and he was becoming a liability then I'm all for moving on from him. But that wasn't the case. The other excuse is his contract demand, which we know is also lane given our front office's ability to make room for players when needed.

Kyle / Lynch knew this was a Super Bowl or bust year. They decided to drop off from a proven winner and go with someone not as reliable. With Robbie we win the Cleveland game. With Robbie we go in leading 10-6 vs GB and maybe it's not so close.

They're all SB or bust years. He would have needed replacing at some point. Moody had a pretty good season all told. 84%.
let me look up Robbie last year, he was 84%
Is it time for the first beers or not???
I read in the off season that Robbie was demanding 8 million a year or something like that. So they decided to draft a kicker to save money.

Robbie missed the same amount of kicks last year so no it's not an automatic win or bearing on the GB game

not one team signed him.. robbie wanted to move on and that's it

Robbie was 40 and at that age, kickers are a bit of a gamble at that point, you can't just roster Robbie til 50. In terms of why did the break with Robbie happen in 2023, well he was off contract. And if I recall correct, he began the offseason saying he's done with SF.

They're all SB or bust years. He would have needed replacing at some point. Moody had a pretty good season all told. 84%.

Not disagreeing with stats. Simply put, if it's key FG or PA in the playoffs, Robbie G. would be preferred over Moody this season. That is not an option we have this year, so a sincere prayer would be in order.
Let's hope for the best.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Robbie missed the same amount of kicks last year so no it's not an automatic win or bearing on the GB game

not one team signed him.. robbie wanted to move on and that's it

Comeon people. Don't use raw stats to prove a point. We all know that Robbie at this point is way more reliable in the clutch than Moody. I don't think anyone would argue that point. When and if the SB was on the line, and you needed your kicker to make a game winning kick, don't tell me you're just as comfortable le with Moody as you would be with Gould because they both have an 84% make rate
Hey 49er fans we finally get you guys in Lambeau next season. Maybe we can finally get the upper hand lol.

It's really not that complicated. Gould wanted a lot of money and we had a lot of other guys to pay. Gould as good as he was wasn't perfect in the regular season and had limitations to how long he could kick.

They figured they could draft a kid like Moody, save a lot of money, bring in someone they felt had a bigger leg and who could be reliable and clutch in his own right while saving a chunk of money in the process.

All we can hope for is that he doesn't cost us another game this season.

Now he just needs to rebound, get all the kicks through the endzone so the other team cannot return them and make all his kicks. Hopefully the team is doing a better job having him kick lots of XPs so we don't have to worry about him missing or making FGs.
  • Ruixx
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersvsPackers:
Hey 49er fans we finally get you guys in Lambeau next season. Maybe we can finally get the upper hand lol.

When a Packer fan comes in just as we were about to all kill each other over a kicker...
Share 49ersWebzone