LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 267 users in the forums

49ERS vs Lions Pregame thread 2023 Season NFCCG

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by Patton:
Any way Lynch might be able to have Demeco run the defense this week that way we can give Wilks a much needed week off?

offense and special teams were way worse than the defense vs green bay

Eh… defense was kind of a mixed bag. Yes they got the two interceptions and several red zone stops, but the Packers had a lot of lengthy drives and controlled the clock until near the end of the 3rd quarter.

It reminded me of the Vikings game where everyone said the defense was raw sewage even though we "only" gave up 22 points. The Vikings had extremely long drives and controlled the ball for what felt like the vast majority of the game. A few red zone stops and a missed field goal made the defensive performance look a lot better than it really was.

aint no one saying the defense was great, but as a unit they were better than the offense and special teams
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Originally posted by Patton:
Any way Lynch might be able to have Demeco run the defense this week that way we can give Wilks a much needed week off?

offense and special teams were way worse than the defense vs green bay

Eh… defense was kind of a mixed bag. Yes they got the two interceptions and several red zone stops, but the Packers had a lot of lengthy drives and controlled the clock until near the end of the 3rd quarter.

It reminded me of the Vikings game where everyone said the defense was raw sewage even though we "only" gave up 22 points. The Vikings had extremely long drives and controlled the ball for what felt like the vast majority of the game. A few red zone stops and a missed field goal made the defensive performance look a lot better than it really was.

aint no one saying the defense was great, but as a unit they were better than the offense and special teams

Amen..

we can get to the numbers, not the feelings of 'felt like' they controlled for the vast majority of the game. Time of possession was about 50/50 in the GB game. The MIN game was more slanted to MIN in TOP.

Can't argue this. That being said, get Demeco on the phone and at least let him lead the team out or something. What about a compromise…..Wilks in the booth and Demeco on the sideline?
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Amen..

we can get to the numbers, not the feelings of 'felt like' they controlled for the vast majority of the game. Time of possession was about 50/50 in the GB game. The MIN game was more slanted to MIN in TOP.

3 possessions in a half… only two where the offense could function without time constraints (some self imposed), is not a 'feels like' thing.

Our offense had the team in position to score more in that half per drive than they averaged per drive for the season I'm pretty certain.
A lot of the defensive issues were slipping. Go rewatch. This went INTO the 2nd half! I don't understand it....how our defenders kept slipping
Originally posted by tankle104:
The defense is probably the only unit that played a good game. They weren't elite but came through with red zone defense, fourth down stops, & turnovers. That's what kept us in the game.

i really don't understand what Kyle was doing having Brock throw so much and so many empty sets in that weather. At least it shows that Kyle trusts Brock ALOT. Lol Kyle needs to be better though, probably his worth playoff performance. I think next game will be a lot better.

nah purdy needs to complete the passes. that was their gameplan and he failed for most of the day

Both can be true. Purdy can need to do better and Kyle. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Brock needs to play better and Kyle needs to do better on his game plans. He's a great enough coach and play caller, and this is a good enough team, to where we should control these games - even if they're close, we SHOULD be in control.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Amen..

3 possessions in a half… only two where the offense could function without time constraints (some self imposed), is not a 'feels like' thing.

Our offense had the team in position to score more in that half per drive than they averaged per drive for the season I'm pretty certain.

Defense wasn't perfect but they came through when it was most important (red zone, fourth down etc). Similar to what our offense did.

we've had issues throughout the year on defense with giving opposing offenses way too many long drives.
Defense wasn't perfect but they came through when it was most important (red zone, fourth down etc). Similar to what our offense did.

we've had issues throughout the year on defense with giving opposing offenses way too many long drives.

Right and that can handicap your offense. That's why teams play ball control against explosive offenses. We were very good in not giving up TDs on those long drives, but failing to get off the field really put major pressure on the offense to be extraordinarily efficient. Had we given up TDs on those drives it would have been a death sentence for the game.
The defense is probably the only unit that played a good game. They weren't elite but came through with red zone defense, fourth down stops, & turnovers. That's what kept us in the game.

i really don't understand what Kyle was doing having Brock throw so much and so many empty sets in that weather. At least it shows that Kyle trusts Brock ALOT. Lol Kyle needs to be better though, probably his worth playoff performance. I think next game will be a lot better.

nah purdy needs to complete the passes. that was their gameplan and he failed for most of the day

Both can be true. Purdy can need to do better and Kyle. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Brock needs to play better and Kyle needs to do better on his game plans. He's a great enough coach and play caller, and this is a good enough team, to where we should control these games - even if they're close, we SHOULD be in control.

idk man kyle cant complete the passes for him
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Right and that can handicap your offense. That's why teams play ball control against explosive offenses. We were very good in not giving up TDs on those long drives, but failing to get off the field really put major pressure on the offense to be extraordinarily efficient. Had we given up TDs on those drives it would have been a death sentence for the game.

Yeah, that's really been my pet peeve with the defense this year. Our pass rush isn't as consistent as I thought it would be. Our run defense isn't as great as the last few years - but I don't think either of those are as big of issues as some make them out to be.

i think our struggles on third down to get off the field, is the biggest issue. We did it a lot more in the first half of the season, rams game comes to mind.

but I agree, it puts a lot of pressure, and potentially panic because they don't get many chances and have to try and make the few opportunities fruitful. Idk what the answer is but I'll say I haven't really liked our third down defensive calls, specially giving so much of a cushion and/or the penalties on third downs.

• Baldie
  • Veteran
This game is gonna be tougher with Deebo out. Aiyuk will be covered by Gardner all night so probably take him out.

Just because there was a pass to be completed, doesn't mean it was a great call. Mistakes happen by the QB, coach, skill players.

we also don't know when a skill player executed the play wrong. For example, Brock didn't miss ray ray on that deep throw - ray ray missed Brock.

it's raining, Brock is clearly struggling. And we are playing against one of the worst run d and we are constantly in empty sets? Throwing the ball a career high time? I love Kyle as our coach, I think he's awesome, but he isn't perfect. I think more than just Brock didn't do well in that Green Bay game.
Originally posted by Baldie:
This game is gonna be tougher with Deebo out. Aiyuk will be covered by Gardner all night so probably take him out.

I think there is a good chance deebo plays but at least if he doesn't, we have time to game plan around it.

but he is a huge loss. I heard someone say that losing deebo is almost like losing multiple players because he's position-less, I thought that was interesting. Losing deebo hurts both our run game and pass game, as well as blocking.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Baldie:

Who said Deebo is out ?
  • DrEll
  • Veteran

Just because there was a pass to be completed, doesn't mean it was a great call. Mistakes happen by the QB, coach, skill players.

we also don't know when a skill player executed the play wrong. For example, Brock didn't miss ray ray on that deep throw - ray ray missed Brock.

it's raining, Brock is clearly struggling. And we are playing against one of the worst run d and we are constantly in empty sets? Throwing the ball a career high time? I love Kyle as our coach, I think he's awesome, but he isn't perfect. I think more than just Brock didn't do well in that Green Bay game.

I think most ppl even acknowledged that Kyle called a horrible game Saturday night. Did not take advantage of the run game in those elements, and put the ball in the hands of his quarterback who was struggling with the wet ball. I want to say lesson learned going forward but he's not gonna change. He's stubborn as hell.
Share 49ersWebzone