Right now it's:

1.Seattle
2. Chiefs
3. Ravens
4. Eagles
5. Cowboys
6. Rams
7. Giants

I don't even put the Packers on there because they never beat us lol.

I dont know that I have ever disagreed with a post of yours stronger than I do this one. Seattle #1? Why? Who cares about Seattle. Outside of like 3 years they are irrelevant.

Cowboys #5?! That's 4 spots too low.

Actually, since my list is about right now, I should put the Cowboys lower. LOL

I just turned 32 the other day... so I'm too young to remember the old days.

The pain I've experienced as a fan has been through Seahawks, Giants, Rams NFC championship, and Ravens and Chiefs SB losses.

I remember the loss in 2002 vs the Bucs but that team was clearly better IMO.

The Cowboys historically are the biggest rival... but right now, they're irrelevant since they couldn't even make the Divisional round and we beat them every year.

Ccowboys one all day long.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Right now it's:

1.Seattle
2. Chiefs
3. Ravens
4. Eagles
5. Cowboys
6. Rams
7. Giants

I dont know that I have ever disagreed with a post of yours stronger than I do this one. Seattle #1? Why? Who cares about Seattle. Outside of like 3 years they are irrelevant.

Seattle can go 0-17 for the next 30/40/50 years. I'm still putting them at # 1. Those fans are a complete joke

Cowboys isn't even about the rivalry with SF anymore, jist sick and tired of a mediocre franchise hogging the spotlight
[ Edited by RiceOwensStokes on Jan 26, 2024 at 1:16 PM ]
Seacocks
Lambs
Cowbiatches
Iggles
Gnats
fudgepackers
Ratbirds
queefs
It's generational:

Boomers - Rams & Cowboys

Gen X - Giants & Cowboys

Millennials - Cowboys & Packers

Gen Z - Seahawks & whoever beat the Niners most recently in a meaningful/big game (e.g. Chiefs, Eagles, Ravens)
I'm putting the Ravens at the top.
They are loathsome and detestable.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Right now it's:

1.Seattle
2. Chiefs
3. Ravens
4. Eagles
5. Cowboys
6. Rams
7. Giants

The pain I've experienced as a fan has been through Seahawks, Giants, Rams NFC championship, and Ravens and Chiefs SB losses.

The Cowboys historically are the biggest rival... but right now, they're irrelevant since they couldn't even make the Divisional round and we beat them every year.
those one game anomalies hurt you that bad to think they are a rival ?

The quest was, who's your most hated teams... not who's our biggest rivals.
Cowboys
Eagles
Seahawks
Rams
Cards
Ravens
Chiefs

Actually if Philly and Cowboys played today i'd be more delighted that philly loss than i would be if Dallas loss.
[ Edited by miked1978 on Jan 26, 2024 at 1:48 PM ]
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
It's generational:

Boomers - Rams & Cowboys

Gen X - Giants & Cowboys

Gen Z - Seahawks & whoever beat the Niners most recently in a meaningful/big game (e.g. Chiefs, Eagles, Ravens)

Millennials goes up to the year 1996 though.

I was born in 1992, and 5 years later the 49ers lost to the packers in the playoffs, which was the last time that happened.

If you born in 1988, 5 years later the 49ers lost to the Cowboys in the playoffs for the last time.

Idk about y'all but I don't remember s**t when I was 5.
It's generational:

Boomers - Rams & Cowboys

Gen X - Giants & Cowboys

I was born in 1992, and 5 years later the 49ers lost to the packers in the playoffs, which was the last time that happened.

If you born in 1988, 5 years later the 49ers lost to the Cowboys in the playoffs for the last time.

Yeah, I'd identify as a millennial, sure I hated those 2 teams along with the Greatest show on turf Rams early on in my fanhood, but as time went on and the Cowboys did nothing important outside of early playoff exits and the tables turning on GB, it's hard to still "hate" those teams like I did when I was younger…Seattle on the other hand..
[ Edited by RiceOwensStokes on Jan 26, 2024 at 2:10 PM ]
Originally posted by RiceOwensStokes:
It's generational:

Boomers - Rams & Cowboys

Gen X - Giants & Cowboys

Yeah, I'd identify as a millennial, sure I hated those 2 teams early on in my fanhood, but as time went on and the Cowboys did nothing important outside of early playoff exits and the tables turning on GB, it's hard to still "hate" those teams like I did when I was younger…Seattle on the other hand..

I suppose I should've specified likely initial exposure to the said "hated" teams as a burgeoning rival in the list I posted above, i.e. when a Niners fan is a kid (ages 5-15). Of course, one may consider additional teams as hated rivals and expand their list as they grow older and not be locked to what I listed above as who'd they consider their main hated rival(s). A younger generation as well can inherit a legacy rival from their parents/forebears and develop animus towards that team, especially if the Niners reignite an old feud with said team (example: Cowboys and Packers recently…less so Rams, though most of these have been one-sided in favor of the Niners in recent matchups).

My "generation" breakdown (subject to others' interpretation and definition) and which Niner era a fan born in each generation likely first remembers watching:

Boomers: born ~1945 to ~1963 (Niners' early years to pre-Walsh era 70's dark ages)

Gen X: born ~1964 to ~1980 (Niners' pre-dynasty to early main dynasty years/Montana era, 1981-90)

Millennials: born ~1981 to ~1996 (Niners' latter main dynasty years/Young era, 1991-98 to the 2004-10 dark ages)

Gen Z: born ~1997 to ~2012 (Niners' York ownership wilderness era through to Harbaugh tenure and the current Shanahan regime)

not listed…
Gen Alpha: born ~2013 to present (post-Harbaugh suckage to Shanahan era)

My own example:

Born 1983…

• Barely remember tail end of Joe Montana era Niners (1988-91) so didn't develop hate towards Rams or Giants much

• Cowboys I distinctly remember starting to hate around 1993-94 when I first clearly remember watching and understanding games and football rules, by '95 I definitely hated them with a passion.

• By 1995-96 around the time I became a teen I watched Niners games almost every Sunday, and my hatred shifted to the Packers after they always knocked the latter Steve Young era out of the playoffs

• Any of the old NFCW teams (Saints, Falcons, Panthers) were never considered rivals by me since they were mostly terrible in the late '90s and a guaranteed 6-8 wins (including the Rams), but the Panthers, Falcons and GSOT Rams were at least a thorn in the side, thwarting some of the latter Steve Young and Jeff Garcia era playoff runs.

• Then came the dark era after 2003…Niners were terrible and I couldn't care as passionately if they (usually) lost to any of the old rivals: Giants, Cowboys, Packers, Rams. Niners were barely in any marquee-billed matchups or primetime games 2005-2010 as well so they were hardly national news.

• Harbaugh era I heartily embraced the hatred for the Seahawks (whom I was ambivalent towards, and disdainfully couldn't care less for, pre-2011…only rooted for them once, when they played the Steelers and Holmgren was still their coach, but mostly due to not wanting the Steelers would get Lombardi #6 first)

• Currently, I still hold on to the old Cowboys and Packers hate come time to play them, but recency bias and playing them more often means Seahawks and Rams are there as well. The AFC teams that have beat us in the Super Bowl also hold a special place in hell I want them to burn in…
[ Edited by Dr_Bill_Walsh on Jan 26, 2024 at 3:06 PM ]

I was going to say the eagles, but we beat the heck out of them, and they've been washed since.
The Cowboys might be the one team, but they choke when playing the 49ers.
I don't hate the Ravens, but their fans keep rubbing that Super Bowl on my face, so hopefully Niners can one and one against them.

i hate the chiefs cuz they're annoying but they aren't really rivals. If the 49ers play the swifties, they can suck it.
Hate Level DEFCON 1 (under no circumstances can I root for them to win)
Seattle
Dallas
Philadelphia
LA Rams

Hate Level DEFCON 2 (only can pull for them if they are playing a DEFCON 1 team)
Green Bay
Kansas City
Pittsburgh
Arizona
Baltimore
Chicago

Hate Level DEFCON 3 (would rather them not win but not a huge issue)
Tampa Bay
NY Giants
Cleveland
LV
Denver
Minnesota
New Orleans
Indianapolis
New England
Detroit

Hate Level DEFCON 4 (could possibly pull for)
Atlanta
Carolina
Washington
LA Chargers
Tennessee
Jacksonville
Cincinnati
NY Jets
Miami
Buffalo
Houston
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Right now it's:

1.Seattle
2. Chiefs
3. Ravens
4. Eagles
5. Cowboys
6. Rams
7. Giants

those one game anomalies hurt you that bad to think they are the most hated ?

The quest was, who's your most hated teams... not who's our biggest rivals.
FTFY

Since most hated and rivals are different to you, you love your rivals?
Ravens, Chiefs, and Seahawks. I can't remember the last time they beat the Chiefs or Ravens (granted they didn't play often). The Seahawks dominated them with Wilson.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 5Jan2003:
I'm putting the Ravens at the top.
They are loathsome and detestable.

I hate them as well because of their recent success against us, but to be honest they are the modern day elite / classy franchise. We like to lump teams like the Packers, Steelers, Cowboys, and Niners are great franchises with a pedigree, but one can argue that Baltimore has joined the ranks with their success. I'm a little hesitant to add New England to the mix. Their success was based on Brady and only Brady.
Share 49ersWebzone