There are 287 users in the forums

🏆 SUPER BOWL LVIII PREGAME THREAD - SF 49ERS vs KC CHIEFS 🏆

Shop Find 49ers gear online

🏆 SUPER BOWL LVIII PREGAME THREAD - SF 49ERS vs KC CHIEFS 🏆

Originally posted by MucketyMuck:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

glad this s**t is getting called out! Unacceptable.

On both of these Bosa takes the completely wrong angle. Is this by design or is Bosa just over pursuing?

The second run is the play JD broke down. Just horrible angles and effort. Says teams have been killing them with this play. Expect KC to run this a lot
  • thl408
Originally posted by lamontb:
Watching JD breakdown and the run defense was just all over the place. Detroit ran formations that forced Oren Burks on the field and dude was horrible filling the correct gaps. We can bet KC will be running similar stuff forcing Burks to play. Might have to try something different on defense. And it wasn't just Burks. Greenlaw and Fred were making similar mistakes. And the effort was just awful

One thing I noticed in the DET game was that DET would sometimes use an OT as a TE. In other words they went big with six OL on the field, but the 49ers countered with their typical base personnel (3 LBs). That's advantage DET on run plays.
  • thl408

On both of these Bosa takes the completely wrong angle. Is this by design or is Bosa just over pursuing?

The second run is the play JD broke down. Just horrible angles and effort. Says teams have been killing them with this play. Expect KC to run this a lot

If Gipson makes the tackle then we aren't even talking about that play right now.
It's good that they talk about it. But you still aren't going to get any calls. Mahomes is the golden boy and the face of the league. They definitely do and will favor him. Expect it and that is what will happen.
New report that it looks like Joe Thuney will miss the game. It's not official yet but probable.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
I think the Ravens and the KC defense are similar in scheme and blitz frequency, so I rewatched the Christmas game between the Ravens defense vs the 49er offense.

My first impression (back in Christmas) was just too much passing not enough running - and on my second rewatch, that is still my impression. Not enough runs mixed in with the passes to keep the Ravens defense guessing. On pretty much all 3rd downs - you can almost tell Purdy was going to pass. Second observation - the 49er OLine has to do a better job protecting Purdy in the middle. McKivitz also needs to be playing his best - one pressure caused Purdy to throw an interception, and the same basic thing happened in the Lions game. This is McKivitz' moment. I think if he does well in this game, he's going to be a starter in 2024. If the OLine picks up the blitz, Purdy *can hit those* explosive plays. If Kyle calls the correct run against those blitzes, CMC *can* make an explosive play, but its a hit and miss, and the offense isn't going to be consistent.

49er fans and Kyle have to be patient with the 49er offense in this next game because Spagnuolo is going to make the 49er offense inconsistent with his blitz packages. But if Kyle and Purdy can hit some explosives - there is a chance that 49ers can get ahead big time and that might be what wins the game. We shall see.

incase anyone wants to attend
We just need to play consistently smart, disciplined, and determined defense and we'll win. The offense having success against that formidable KC defense will be icing on the cake. Limit Pacheco, keep tabs on Kelce, pressure Mahomes while limiting that damage he can inflict with his legs. I know easier said than done but we have no excuse with all the talent we have on the defensive side.
[ Edited by 49erKing on Feb 3, 2024 at 10:00 AM ]
  • BigT
Originally posted by Giedi:
I think the Ravens and the KC defense are similar in scheme and blitz frequency, so I rewatched the Christmas game between the Ravens defense vs the 49er offense.

My first impression (back in Christmas) was just too much passing not enough running - and on my second rewatch, that is still my impression. Not enough runs mixed in with the passes to keep the Ravens defense guessing. On pretty much all 3rd downs - you can almost tell Purdy was going to pass. Second observation - the 49er OLine has to do a better job protecting Purdy in the middle. McKivitz also needs to be playing his best - one pressure caused Purdy to throw an interception, and the same basic thing happened in the Lions game. This is McKivitz' moment. I think if he does well in this game, he's going to be a starter in 2024. If the OLine picks up the blitz, Purdy *can hit those* explosive plays. If Kyle calls the correct run against those blitzes, CMC *can* make an explosive play, but its a hit and miss, and the offense isn't going to be consistent.

49er fans and Kyle have to be patient with the 49er offense in this next game because Spagnuolo is going to make the 49er offense inconsistent with his blitz packages. But if Kyle and Purdy can hit some explosives - there is a chance that 49ers can get ahead big time and that might be what wins the game. We shall see.

This is about the best assessment I have seen on here. The Ravens and Chiefs are very similar on defense. I do believe they have a couple players Hamilton and Roquan that are better than anyone we have. But as a unit I believe we are better at the rest of the positions especially if Gay is at close to 100%. It will come down to which team can force their will on the other. I guess we will find out. this is a Legacy game for both Quarterbacks. One is trying to continue is high level legacy and one is trying to write his. Should be a good one.

• Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by tankle104:
New report that it looks like Joe Thuney will miss the game. It's not official yet but probable.

was just reading that.

will believe it when I see it.

Would be huge especially because it looks like Gay will play.
  • BigT
Originally posted by Crown:
was just reading that.

will believe it when I see it.

Would be huge especially because it looks like Gay will play.

That same report has been on Bleacher Report. Locally nobody is giving up anything. Honestly if he is not close to full strength I would prefer he didn't play. Creed will shift over and help. He is a tank at center.
Originally posted by thl408:

If Gipson makes the tackle then we aren't even talking about that play right now.

True that. So many plays where defenders just have to do better
Watching JD breakdown and the run defense was just all over the place. Detroit ran formations that forced Oren Burks on the field and dude was horrible filling the correct gaps. We can bet KC will be running similar stuff forcing Burks to play. Might have to try something different on defense. And it wasn't just Burks. Greenlaw and Fred were making similar mistakes. And the effort was just awful

One thing I noticed in the DET game was that DET would sometimes use an OT as a TE. In other words they went big with six OL on the field, but the 49ers countered with their typical base personnel (3 LBs). That's advantage DET on run plays.

Watching some other teams it seems that there are clubs who run 5 across the DL but we really don't do that. Can we? Have we?
  • thl408
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:

Watching some other teams it seems that there are clubs who run 5 across the DL but we really don't do that. Can we? Have we?

Most likely when you see other teams use a five man front, they are in their base personnel and they are a 3-4 defense. 49ers are a 4-3 defense so when you see the 49ers use a five man front, it's an infrequent change up of a play call.
Share 49ersWebzone