LISTEN: Patriots Preview With WEEI's Nick "Fitzy” & CMC's Germany Trip →

There are 196 users in the forums

🏆 SUPER BOWL LVIII PREGAME THREAD - SF 49ERS vs KC CHIEFS 🏆

Shop Find 49ers gear online

🏆 SUPER BOWL LVIII PREGAME THREAD - SF 49ERS vs KC CHIEFS 🏆

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Heroism:
woww

Bummer for him. Chris jones is a stud but he's not 100% at all right now.
He looked like he was on one leg in that game. I mean he gave tremendous effort and I know he's a stud but he seemed to be on "empty".

This team is going to be tough cause of who their qb is but this will be their fourth playoff game. They've traveled a lot and played a lot of football. The two weeks will help them but that's a lot of tough games in really tough environments.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by boast:
unless KC decides to wear white. as the "home" team, they get the choice.

why do they get to choose?

Lol because the AFC is the "home" team this year
Originally posted by scooterhd:
We saw the Lions and Packers have success trying to widen the 49er defense. Toss plays, reverse plays were effective in the run game. The Packers and Lions both had incredible success running bubble screens but under utilized them. Packers got two easy 12 yard plays running a WR screen to Watson and a disguised wide RB screen to Wilson. Lions converted an early 3rd and 9 with a slot screen to ASB. They threw one to Gibbs right before the end of first half that he would have scored on but he slipped and caught the ball with one knee on the ground and ended up getting tackled at the 2.

Andy Reid is going to feel pretty good about replicating his game plan for the Ravens against the 49ers. Ravens and 49ers are both near the tops of the league in percent playing zone. The schemes are different, but some of the key personnel are very similar. Reid wants you out of shell coverages with deep safeties. He wants to create room in the middle of the field, and to force safeties into man coverage or single high so he can take deep shots. He wants width between the linebackers. Andy Reid comes out with script plays and on the first possession against the Ravens he throws a WR screen to Rice. Linebackers are way inside, safety is way deep and its 10 yard gain before Rice is touched. I think he throws 3 TE screens to Kelce in the first half. Expect to see more of that. Reid wants Warner and Greenlaw getting pulled to the flats. He wants Brown and Gibson having to crash down on the run or wide to attack screens. And thats when Scantling goes deep against man or single high or Pacheco gets a big hole up the middle.

So what does Wilks do? Well, Mahomes is too good against the blitz. Rushing 5 is usually not the best idea. Mahomes is also notoriously difficult to sack. Chiefs are routinely top 3 in sacks against. We are going to see more nickel packages that are soft against the run. More 4 man lane, contain style pass rushes. And hope that their run game doesnt kill us and that their receivers dont make the big play. Sit back and absorb. Not a strategy that I am particularly excited about, but its one we are well rehearsed at and that's worked against everyone except Lamar and Burrow. I think we can disguise better. Move Bosa around the line more. And I'd love to see some coverage 8 played when Gregory is in. Let him drop back into a shallow zone on Kelces side and play spy from there. If you cant set the edge or get pressure on the QB, might as well drop back and clog the zones.

Great post bravo
The last time the Niners lost to the Chiefs in the Super Bowl a global pandemic ensued.

The fate of the world depends on us!
Niners will have to play their best game against the KC. They absolutely cannot start slow. The chiefs looked pretty mighty going into baltimore and holding the ravens to 10 points so they are high on confidence. I feel like this will come down to whoever has the ball last.
Sometbing off with Kadarious Toney going on too. I don't think he plays.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Look, just a day ago people were convinced that the colors in the logo determined who went to the Super Bowl. Thinking that Vegas is fixing things is a step up from that.

Lol, fair enough.

BTW, what if the logos are indeed "picked" meaning, they're assuming certain teams making it?

Chiefs, Eagles, Rams, Bengals....and this year, if it's 49ers, Ravens.....they're all logical.

Very lucky, and now the streak is broken.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Dirtydonedirtcheap69:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Dirtydonedirtcheap69:
Until you actually start looking at statistics…like AT ALL. Detroits offense was A LOT better and Goff, frankly, was also better.

Mahomes just had a straight up Mediocre season. But go ahead, keep up the ball gargling.

Mahomes has been as good as he's ever been, he's unreal. Stats don't really inform, the eye test does. Sure his stats with Tyreek may have been more over the top. Does that mean Mahomes is playing at less of a level? No. Just means he's got less around him. To suggest Goff was better than Mahomes this year is just straight up nonsense I mean you would have to not be watching and just reading stats on stats.com to get to that conclusion, imo.

Yeah, stats are meaningless, you're right.

Stats only describe *what happened* -- not what is going to happen.

Not familiar with the term predictive analytics are you?
Idk If it's good or bad 1 but since we won the one seed with like one week left In the season (week 17 out of 18), we will have played 3 games over like a 6 week period lol
[ Edited by tankle104 on Jan 29, 2024 at 3:23 PM ]
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
We wearing red or white jerseys?

This will answer most FAQ's:
https://uni-watch.com/2024/01/29/an-early-look-at-the-potential-super-bowl-uniform-matchup/

Originally posted by TheChozen:
Can we wear the white 94 throwbacks?

no. while you can choose to wear your alt uni once in the playoffs, this rule does not extend to the Super Bowl.

Rams did it in SB 53….f**ken Mickey mouse league darlings

Patroits still smoked their asses lol
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
We wearing red or white jerseys?

This will answer most FAQ's:
https://uni-watch.com/2024/01/29/an-early-look-at-the-potential-super-bowl-uniform-matchup/

Amen I love uni watch
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Heroism:
woww

Bummer for him. Chris jones is a stud but he's not 100% at all right now.
He looked like he was on one leg in that game. I mean he gave tremendous effort and I know he's a stud but he seemed to be on "empty".

This team is going to be tough cause of who their qb is but this will be their fourth playoff game. They've traveled a lot and played a lot of football. The two weeks will help them but that's a lot of tough games in really tough environments.

I was watching the game live when he went down after that play and I immediately go to myself, he just got 2020 Nick Bosa'd. Except only natural grass. Previously had an enormous strip-sack on Lamar that made huge impact on the game. He was probably so excited to play against his former team, that's too bad.
[ Edited by ninerjok on Jan 29, 2024 at 3:33 PM ]
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
unless KC decides to wear white. as the "home" team, they get the choice.

why do they get to choose?

Designated "home" team gets choice of uniform that they wear.

Even-numbered Super Bowls = AFC is "home" team

Odd-numbered Super Bowls = NFC is "home" team

This was based on Super Bowls I and II….Packers were home for the first Super Bowl, Raiders were home team for Super Bowl II and it's been that designation ever since…only deviation from the expected uniforms worn is teams that always wear white (Cowboys, Redskins, etc.), teams that won all their playoffs on the road ('05 Steelers, maybe the Chiefs this year) or superstition that wearing the same combo will allow them to win against the same opponent (Giants and Patriots I think did this) or avoid losing again (Broncos not wanting to wear orange against the Panthers in Super Bowl 50).
  • thl408
Originally posted by scooterhd:
We saw the Lions and Packers have success trying to widen the 49er defense. Toss plays, reverse plays were effective in the run game. The Packers and Lions both had incredible success running bubble screens but under utilized them. Packers got two easy 12 yard plays running a WR screen to Watson and a disguised wide RB screen to Wilson. Lions converted an early 3rd and 9 with a slot screen to ASB. They threw one to Gibbs right before the end of first half that he would have scored on but he slipped and caught the ball with one knee on the ground and ended up getting tackled at the 2.

Andy Reid is going to feel pretty good about replicating his game plan for the Ravens against the 49ers. Ravens and 49ers are both near the tops of the league in percent playing zone. The schemes are different, but some of the key personnel are very similar. Reid wants you out of shell coverages with deep safeties. He wants to create room in the middle of the field, and to force safeties into man coverage or single high so he can take deep shots. He wants width between the linebackers. Andy Reid comes out with script plays and on the first possession against the Ravens he throws a WR screen to Rice. Linebackers are way inside, safety is way deep and its 10 yard gain before Rice is touched. I think he throws 3 TE screens to Kelce in the first half. Expect to see more of that. Reid wants Warner and Greenlaw getting pulled to the flats. He wants Brown and Gibson having to crash down on the run or wide to attack screens. And thats when Scantling goes deep against man or single high or Pacheco gets a big hole up the middle.

So what does Wilks do? Well, Mahomes is too good against the blitz. Rushing 5 is usually not the best idea. Mahomes is also notoriously difficult to sack. Chiefs are routinely top 3 in sacks against. We are going to see more nickel packages that are soft against the run. More 4 man lane, contain style pass rushes. And hope that their run game doesnt kill us and that their receivers dont make the big play. Sit back and absorb. Not a strategy that I am particularly excited about, but its one we are well rehearsed at and that's worked against everyone except Lamar and Burrow. I think we can disguise better. Move Bosa around the line more. And I'd love to see some coverage 8 played when Gregory is in. Let him drop back into a shallow zone on Kelces side and play spy from there. If you cant set the edge or get pressure on the QB, might as well drop back and clog the zones.

Good stuff. Remember the KC game last season and how they looked so good attacking the edges in the run game? I can see more of that happening because it doesn't seem like the 49ers can adjust to it. KC would let Bosa fly upfield at the snap and he took himself out of the play - they were using the 49ers aggressiveness against them. While KC's run game isn't as good as DET's, it's still a good running game with a tough runner in Pacheco, and they seem more committed to it this season.

Defending Mahomes in the passing game is going to be a huge challenge. Reid is just as good, if not better than Kyle at attacking coverages. The gameplan against Mahomes is the gameplan versus all elite QBs, mix it up to make them think a bit, and hope they don't consistently execute. Blitz, drop 8, zone, man, fake pressure, everything. On key downs, bracket Kelce and make the WRs win. If Valdes Scantling and Toney beat the 49ers then tip your cap.
Share 49ersWebzone