There are 110 users in the forums

🏆 SUPER BOWL LVIII PREGAME THREAD - SF 49ERS vs KC CHIEFS 🏆

Shop Find 49ers gear online

🏆 SUPER BOWL LVIII PREGAME THREAD - SF 49ERS vs KC CHIEFS 🏆

Originally posted by Chance:
Originally posted by Sanfran_chrisco:

soooooo how's everyone feeling about the game? I have to admit I'm not the most confident given how we've started the past 2 playoff games in regards to the run defense, and Purdy simply not being as sharp as he's been in the past. Cossell is right, and this is me watching the game footage; not the film.

Purdy needs to get settled in early, and the run defense needs to show up from the beginning of the game. can't rely on fumbles or KC receiver drops to make stops all the time.

It's been up and down for Purdy, but it's a two game sample size and the last half he played was phenomenal.

I'm willing to throw out the rain game as a data point. He simply struggles with his grip and changes the way he plays.

So really we're only looking at one game where the first half he struggled a bit, but also did some nice things, put the team in position to score. And a half where he played great.

I've watched both the QB school analysis with all-22 and the idea he has played poorly has been a bit overstated. There were times he didn't look comfortable (mostly gov game), but the was also a lot of pressure in his face. Dude soldiered through a couple tough ass teams.

Here's hoping the quality of his last half of play continues into tomorrow.

i'd listen to Cossell here

soooooo how's everyone feeling about the game? I have to admit I'm not the most confident given how we've started the past 2 playoff games in regards to the run defense, and Purdy simply not being as sharp as he's been in the past. Cossell is right, and this is me watching the game footage; not the film.

Purdy needs to get settled in early, and the run defense needs to show up from the beginning of the game. can't rely on fumbles or KC receiver drops to make stops all the time.

My head says the Chiefs will take it just based on the fact they have Mahomes, they're hot, and they have the type of defense to stymie the 49ers. That said, I'm rooting for the upset.

things I'm watching:
- can the 49ers stop the running game?
- can the 49ers defense get off the field on 3rd downs?
- on offense, can we atttack the perimeter in the run game with outside zone?
- on offense, can we attack the middle?

Other thoughts.
- when SF is in condensed formation, the chiefs will blitz. Can the 49ers offensive lineman pick up the various blitz packages? Will the 49ers use more spread formations to hinder KC's blitz packages?
Originally posted by Chance:

It's been up and down for Purdy, but it's a two game sample size and the last half he played was phenomenal.

I'm willing to throw out the rain game as a data point. He simply struggles with his grip and changes the way he plays.

So really we're only looking at one game where the first half he struggled a bit, but also did some nice things, put the team in position to score. And a half where he played great.

I've watched both the QB school analysis with all-22 and the idea he has played poorly has been a bit overstated. There were times he didn't look comfortable (mostly gov game), but the was also a lot of pressure in his face. Dude soldiered through a couple tough ass teams.

Here's hoping the quality of his last half of play continues into tomorrow.

i'd listen to Cossell here

Well, I've watched the film and breakdown on JTOs channel. I've seen the film of the play Cossell's example of his argument. But it's a bit cherry-picking off a pretty small sample size. I just don't see a worrying trend. The last half he played he was down 17, went 13-16, ran for 50 yards, and won the highest pressure moment of his life. So he missed a read he usually makes? Okay, but I'll take the whole of that half's performance any day. Arrow up for me.
I hope he kills it tomorrow. His family amazing.

Originally posted by bzborow1:

My head says the Chiefs will take it just based on the fact they have Mahomes, they're hot, and they have the type of defense to stymie the 49ers. That said, I'm rooting for the upset.

things I'm watching:

Other thoughts.
- when SF is in condensed formation, the chiefs will blitz. Can the 49ers offensive lineman pick up the various blitz packages? Will the 49ers use more spread formations to hinder KC's blitz packages?

Good 👍 post. The chiefs DC is going to call a tough game no doubt but can shanahan out fox him? If our defense comes out flat again there isn't much of SB battle. I hope the niners defer the kick off and keep the ball for the 3rd quarter
Originally posted by bzborow1:

things I'm watching:

Other thoughts.

You do realize Brock is the highest rated QB in the NFL under pressure with rating of 113 based on minimum of 14 pressures per game. Mahomes, who every one loves to meat ride is 14th with a rating of 92.6. He's also thrown 4 picks in three SB appearances.
Chiefs are 24th against the run allowing 4.5 ypc. Also second to last in defending zone runs, Bottom 10 in both receiving yards allowed to backs and receptions to backs.
49ers are #1 redzone offense in the NFL, 67% TDs when the get there
Sounds like you're already writing them off, I don't think KC won't be able to account for everyone on this offense.
[ Edited by Rathof44 on Feb 10, 2024 at 7:41 PM ]
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Okay, officially getting nervous

oh s**t no way? we need to play well? i think also we need to score more than kc
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by frankieuc68:
Who are going to stand watch tonight and make sure there are no fire alarm bs being pulled? Hey Montana, return the favor and go pull KCs fire alarm at 4am. Do it for the team! LFG!

Joe wants to be neutral.
Originally posted by 9erson3:
I hope he kills it tomorrow. His family amazing.

awesome video. Brock is a special guy, thanks for posting

Kyle said: "Our guys are ready to go"

I think he said the same thing before the Jacksonville game. At this point, we'll take anything/everything that potentially gives us the edge.

Defense steps up, we win, and it won't be close.
The line finally moved from -2.0 to -1.5.
Anyone else nervous and can't sleep 💤
I think this game comes down to one thing. Can the 9ers D get off the field on 3rd down. If we give up 1st downs on 3rd and long we have little chance. This team has been a box of chocolates on 3rd down. Which version shows up tomorrow?
Originally posted by jds_49ers:
I think this game comes down to one thing. Can the 9ers D get off the field on 3rd down. If we give up 1st downs on 3rd and long we have little chance. This team has been a box of chocolates on 3rd down. Which version shows up tomorrow?

I'm having a bad feeling we will see chase young just loafing it while the chiefs rb runs over him
Share 49ersWebzone