LISTEN: Patriots Preview With WEEI's Nick "Fitzy” & CMC's Germany Trip →

There are 221 users in the forums

🏆 SUPER BOWL LVIII PREGAME THREAD - SF 49ERS vs KC CHIEFS 🏆

Shop Find 49ers gear online

🏆 SUPER BOWL LVIII PREGAME THREAD - SF 49ERS vs KC CHIEFS 🏆

Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
KC is an OT champ game loss from having been to every SB since we last faced em

After watching the Chiefs year...I'm voting for our boys to take on the 'Rocky' role.

Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
how da hell did the eagles beat the chiefs?

Detroit beat them too, and GB, and Raiders, etc.. There is a lot of tape out there if Wilks "really wants to" analyze and game plan.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Mankster:

After watching the Chiefs year...I'm voting for our boys to take on the 'Rocky' role.

Rocky lost some of his boxing matches though. I want them to be like Rambo. Rambo never loses.
Originally posted by thl408:
It's the whole two weeks thing. That's a long time to give an offensive genius. I do remember when KC came in last season and wrecked the 49ers front with those perimeter runs. It was different because instead of attacking the wide9's known weakness, interior gaps, they sealed the edge force player and attacked wide. And they did it by formation as well as using the wide9's aggressive nature against it.

Would Wilks and Kocurek consider a read and react type of run fit? Adopt two gapping on some plays so the DL doesn't get too far upfield, and are less susceptible to trap block concepts? They need to think outside the box, not be predictable, or else a play designer like Reid is going to put on an offensive show.

It just seems like a massive ask to get the guys to change their techniques in 2 weeks after they've spent thousands of hours having it drilled in their brains by Kocurek.

Rocky lost some of his boxing matches though. I want them to be like Rambo. Rambo never loses.

Rocky didn't lose the rematches.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Last time the 49ers played the Chiefs, Andy Reid GASHED them with jet sweeps. I hope to God that Wilks is preparing for that because you know it's coming.

Well the same style runs that the packers did, lions implemented, as well as power runs. That was by far the worst our run d has looked.

never thought ferrell would be that big of a loss. Lol

Ferrell was a huge loss to this defense on early downs. Hopefully we can switch up scheme a bit & find a way to get off the field
  • thl408

Rocky didn't lose the rematches.

That is true.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Heroism:
I wonder if Wilks is daring enough to come in with a gameplan that Reid hasn't seen from the 49ers this season. For example, Belichick re-vamped his defensive front to give Sean McVay a look that wasn't on film when he went with a 6-1 front that destroyed the Rams outside zone game. Reid has two weeks to cook up a gameplan. If Wilks' message is 'we have to execute better' that's not good enough.

Ugh, I don't feel so good. I hope Shanahan helps with the defensive gameplan because if the DL is playing how they typically do with their eyes on the ball and flying upfield, Reid is going to gash them on the perimeter with jet sweeps/pin pulls/crack tosses.

It's the whole two weeks thing. That's a long time to give an offensive genius. I do remember when KC came in last season and wrecked the 49ers front with those perimeter runs. It was different because instead of attacking the wide9's known weakness, interior gaps, they sealed the edge force player and attacked wide. And they did it by formation as well as using the wide9's aggressive nature against it.

Would Wilks and Kocurek consider a read and react type of run fit? Adopt two gapping on some plays so the DL doesn't get too far upfield, and are less susceptible to trap block concepts? They need to think outside the box, not be predictable, or else a play designer like Reid is going to put on an offensive show.

bump so Heroism sees it. We need ideas for Wilks lol
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
I agree. The best defense against Mahomes is for us to keep the ball away from him. I'd like to see a throwback gameplan from Kyle to what we did to the Rams a few years ago where we just ate up clock with 6,7, 8 minute drives. Heavy run game (KC is vulnerable here from my understanding) with playaction/horizontal passes mixed in. Key is to cap these drives with TDs and NO TURNOVERS.

Special teams needs to be clutch too. Field position will be huge in limiting the damage that Reid and Mahomes can do to us. They are going to eat, we just need to limit how much.

Obviously want to play keep away with a lead but statistically if you look at points per drive for and against, I bet you the difference is to our advantage and that advantage will grow with more opportunity. We're an offensive team right now. Teams work to keep us off the field.

It's simply good to be multiple and that includes how you attack teams with pace IMO.

I hear you, I just think we are dealing with a different beast in the Chiefs, and TBH my confidence in our defense has been shaken. I guess it will depend on how the game unfolds. If we can score quick and frequently early on while our defense is able to get stops/generate turnovers, then we can stick to the script. But if the defense is a liability and it's a close game, then we need to control the game flow with ball control and playing possessions + Shanny's lap strategy.

Do we think the dominant defense that we saw during our 6 game win streak is suddenly gone? Surely it's still there. There's some fundamental thing that's wrong with the D especially in the first half
bump so Heroism sees it. We need ideas for Wilks lol

What about something simple like standing the ends up instead of changing their actual technique. This way you improve their visibility to see incoming motions or identify tighter splits by the receivers. I noticed he stood Chase up yesterday, but it was mainly to drop for zone blitzing.
[ Edited by Heroism on Jan 29, 2024 at 5:29 PM ]

wear the white throwbacks
Originally posted by Silky:
Do we think the dominant defense that we saw during our 6 game win streak is suddenly gone? Surely it's still there. There's some fundamental thing that's wrong with the D especially in the first half

The offense isn't burying teams and altering gameplans and now we're facing premium offenses (at least in the first two playoff games). Our D has had a couple good games for sure, but it hasn't been very good this year. There were red flags throughout the year IMO. Some were obvious and got attention, like post Cin/Min for example
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by tankle104:
We aren't going to confuse him, need to disguise looks while getting pressure on him - that'll get him to eventually make mistakes. He has a lot of turnovers this year.

i think if we are very physical with his skill guys, they'll make more mistakes and drop balls. They lead the league in that stuff. Need brown, greenlaw, and Demo to bring the pain.

Go with the Chmura strategy?

Hahaha nah that's b***hmade. Make 'em feel the pain within the context of the game - not cheap shot s**t.

Chiefs WR dropped a wide open touchdown pass at the end. Literally just dropped it - he was wide open running down the field. Lol also because the chiefs aren't a balanced team. Good defense with mahommes/kelce - everyone else has been inconsistent and Pacheco has been playing with lingering injuries

how the f**k did DENVER beat the chefs
Share 49ersWebzone