There are 227 users in the forums

🏆 SUPER BOWL LVIII PREGAME THREAD - SF 49ERS vs KC CHIEFS 🏆

Shop Find 49ers gear online

🏆 SUPER BOWL LVIII PREGAME THREAD - SF 49ERS vs KC CHIEFS 🏆

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Pacheco is nowhere near as dangerous as the two headed monster we just faced.

On the flip side, KC's run D gives up an average of 113 yards per game (18th) and 4.5 YPC (25th).

So Kyle will come out throwing the ball again like he did against the ravens.

Hopefully he won't outsmart himself in this game like he did in the Ravens game you just described.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by DaleGribble:
The motivation was to keep the Patriots alive.

For what reason? The Patriots were a small time operation that had never accomplished much. Far from a big NFL brand.

Conspiracy theorists: "It was a CIA psyop to use the most popular spectator/TV audience sport in order to promulgate and implant 'Patriots' and 'patriotism' into the popular national psyche, so the government could more easily sell the coming 'global war on terror' and Patriot Act to the American people. Remember, the Tuck Rule Game and Patriots' first Super Bowl title happened RIGHT AFTER 9/11…

I can buy it.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Conspiracy theorists: "It was a CIA psyop to use the most popular spectator/TV audience sport in order to promulgate and implant 'Patriots' and 'patriotism' into the popular national psyche, so the government could more easily sell the coming 'global war on terror' and Patriot Act to the American people. Remember, the Tuck Rule Game and Patriots' first Super Bowl title happened RIGHT AFTER 9/11…

I can buy it.

keep your stupid ass politics out of the football threads

I can buy it.

Lmao
KC defensive ranks
T-17th in rush yards per game at 113.2
4th in pass yards per game at 176.5
2nd in points per game at 17.3

Looks like they are very good defensive unit. Pass defense numbers and points per game are inflated by playing some soft games down the stretch. QB's they faced in the last 4 games of the regular season: Zappe, O'Connell, Browning, Stick.

They have some head scratchers including giving up 157 yards on the ground (5.4 per carry) vs the Raiders at home in a loss. They gave up 129 rushing yards (5.2 per carry) in a loss to GB without Aaron Jones. Zach Wilson went 28 of 39 for 245 yards and two TD's (no picks) against them as well. The Jets also ran for 6.8 YPC in that game.

I think we should be able to get the run game going against them. They lost Omenihu to an ACL so that is a big loss on the edge for them.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
i like the Reds, but i think it's going to be a repeat from 2019. NFL blocked us from wearing our throwback whites.. will they block us again ?

They let their teachers pet the LA Rams wear their throwback blue and yellow unis in 2018 for the Super Bowl. The one where they scored 3 points lmfao
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by scooterhd:
We saw the Lions and Packers have success trying to widen the 49er defense. Toss plays, reverse plays were effective in the run game. The Packers and Lions both had incredible success running bubble screens but under utilized them. Packers got two easy 12 yard plays running a WR screen to Watson and a disguised wide RB screen to Wilson. Lions converted an early 3rd and 9 with a slot screen to ASB. They threw one to Gibbs right before the end of first half that he would have scored on but he slipped and caught the ball with one knee on the ground and ended up getting tackled at the 2.

Andy Reid is going to feel pretty good about replicating his game plan for the Ravens against the 49ers. Ravens and 49ers are both near the tops of the league in percent playing zone. The schemes are different, but some of the key personnel are very similar. Reid wants you out of shell coverages with deep safeties. He wants to create room in the middle of the field, and to force safeties into man coverage or single high so he can take deep shots. He wants width between the linebackers. Andy Reid comes out with script plays and on the first possession against the Ravens he throws a WR screen to Rice. Linebackers are way inside, safety is way deep and its 10 yard gain before Rice is touched. I think he throws 3 TE screens to Kelce in the first half. Expect to see more of that. Reid wants Warner and Greenlaw getting pulled to the flats. He wants Brown and Gibson having to crash down on the run or wide to attack screens. And thats when Scantling goes deep against man or single high or Pacheco gets a big hole up the middle.

So what does Wilks do? Well, Mahomes is too good against the blitz. Rushing 5 is usually not the best idea. Mahomes is also notoriously difficult to sack. Chiefs are routinely top 3 in sacks against. We are going to see more nickel packages that are soft against the run. More 4 man lane, contain style pass rushes. And hope that their run game doesnt kill us and that their receivers dont make the big play. Sit back and absorb. Not a strategy that I am particularly excited about, but its one we are well rehearsed at and that's worked against everyone except Lamar and Burrow. I think we can disguise better. Move Bosa around the line more. And I'd love to see some coverage 8 played when Gregory is in. Let him drop back into a shallow zone on Kelces side and play spy from there. If you cant set the edge or get pressure on the QB, might as well drop back and clog the zones.

Good stuff. Remember the KC game last season and how they looked so good attacking the edges in the run game? I can see more of that happening because it doesn't seem like the 49ers can adjust to it. KC would let Bosa fly upfield at the snap and he took himself out of the play - they were using the 49ers aggressiveness against them. While KC's run game isn't as good as DET's, it's still a good running game with a tough runner in Pacheco, and they seem more committed to it this season.

Defending Mahomes in the passing game is going to be a huge challenge. Reid is just as good, if not better than Kyle at attacking coverages. The gameplan against Mahomes is the gameplan versus all elite QBs, mix it up to make them think a bit, and hope they don't consistently execute. Blitz, drop 8, zone, man, fake pressure, everything. On key downs, bracket Kelce and make the WRs win. If Valdes Scantling and Toney beat the 49ers then tip your cap.

Yup 💯% agree.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
keep your stupid ass politics out of the football threads

We all know the NFL has been fishy since around 2001/02. Only gullible sheeple will think it's not a powerful tool to influence the masses and ignore it can be used to delude the populace.
[ Edited by Dr_Bill_Walsh on Jan 29, 2024 at 9:36 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dirtydonedirtcheap69:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Until you actually start looking at statistics…like AT ALL. Detroits offense was A LOT better and Goff, frankly, was also better.

Mahomes just had a straight up Mediocre season. But go ahead, keep up the ball gargling.

Mahomes has been as good as he's ever been, he's unreal. Stats don't really inform, the eye test does. Sure his stats with Tyreek may have been more over the top. Does that mean Mahomes is playing at less of a level? No. Just means he's got less around him. To suggest Goff was better than Mahomes this year is just straight up nonsense I mean you would have to not be watching and just reading stats on stats.com to get to that conclusion, imo.

Yeah, stats are meaningless, you're right.

Stats only describe *what happened* -- not what is going to happen.

Not familiar with the term predictive analytics are you?

Predictions are just probability of the outcomes - not the *actual* outcomes. On any given Sunday *any* NFL team can beat any NFL team.
  • Cosmo
We all know the NFL has been fishy since around 2001/02. Only gullible sheeple will think it's not a powerful tool to influence the masses and ignore it can be used to delude the populace.

The motivation was to keep the Patriots alive.

For what reason? The Patriots were a small time operation that had never accomplished much. Far from a big NFL brand.
They weren't a small time operation after that season that was the beginning of what is arguably the best dynasty in NFL history.

They weren't a small time operation after that season that was the beginning of what is arguably the best dynasty in NFL history.

Just a bit more to it than that, but you're effectively arguing that the NFL rigged a 2nd round playoff game against one of its bigger brands, with ties to the 2nd largest market in the NFL, in order to manufacture a dynasty for a much smaller regional brand with a backup QB playing that next to nobody knew.

No evidence. Nonsensical motivation beyond that. Definitely a case of brain worms.
You keep going on about evidence yet instead of providing any of your own you resort to juvenile atracks.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
I believe Omenihu is out with a torn ACL.

Joe Thuney, the 49ers are actually a lot more healthy than they are.

Yup, that number 1 seed really affects team health.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
I believe Omenihu is out with a torn ACL.

He was a good Niner too. I definitely think we missed having him in the D-line rotation at times this year. It will definitely help that he can't suit up for the Chiefs. I wish him nothing but the best recovering from his ACL tear.

Yeah, injuries suck. I don't wish injuries on any team. I say win without injury excuses. We lost Huff and Ferrel. I wish we had them back.

You keep going on about evidence yet instead of providing any of your own you resort to juvenile atracks.

The way it works is when you make a claim, like the NFL rigged the Tuck Rule game for example, it's on you to provide evidence to support the claim. You provided a poorly thought out motivation with no evidence up to this point. Moving on…
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Jan 29, 2024 at 9:45 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone