There are 343 users in the forums

🏆 SUPER BOWL LVIII PREGAME THREAD - SF 49ERS vs KC CHIEFS 🏆

Shop Find 49ers gear online

🏆 SUPER BOWL LVIII PREGAME THREAD - SF 49ERS vs KC CHIEFS 🏆

What I haven't seen mentioned in here about the AFCCG is that the ravens defense essentially gave up 10 points of the 17 points because they were playing dirty AF. They head butted Kelce and clotheslined Mahomes and roughed him another time. That is 15 yards and a fresh set of downs every time.
Damn last year, we were sitting at home licking our wounds and watching from outside on what could have been. We got to capitalize this opportunity and we can really beat this team. Other than running the ball, Shany need to open his playbook . Get KCs aggressive defense off balance a bit with a couple of misdirection, jet sweeps, screen and roll out for Brock. Same thing last week, have him scramble run when there are opportunities present itself. Defensively, Wilks gotta mix it up with some disguises. Bosa and our rush need to get home. We can win this!
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by YACBros85:
What I haven't seen mentioned in here about the AFCCG is that the ravens defense essentially gave up 10 points of the 17 points because they were playing dirty AF. They head butted Kelce and clotheslined Mahomes and roughed him another time. That is 15 yards and a fresh set of downs every time.

9ers are prone to that as well.

Greenlaw or Lenoir can get heated at times.
Originally posted by frankieuc68:
Damn last year, we were sitting at home licking our wounds and watching from outside on what could have been. We got to capitalize this opportunity and we can really beat this team. Other than running the ball, Shany need to open his playbook . Get KCs aggressive defense off balance a bit with a couple of misdirection, jet sweeps, screen and roll out for Brock. Same thing last week, have him scramble run when there are opportunities present itself. Defensively, Wilks gotta mix it up with some disguises. Bosa and our rush need to get home. We can win this!

yeah with that Brock Purdy injury, it felt like getting hit in the nuts...

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
niner fans have already given up lolol

Nobody has given up but we'd be lying if how both teams played in the playoffs so far indicates the 49ers should be favored in this game.

Hopefully the week off for both teams ends up giving us teams we saw most of the season which was a Chiefs team which had issues on offense and a 49ers team that was red hot on both sides of the ball.

But honestly if you didn't have concern about Andy Reid outcoaching Wilks...then I'll have what you're having.

Agreed: my list of concerns:

1. Wilks and the defense

2. Run defense and discipline specifically

3. our offensive line especially with pass protection

4. Jake Moody

Spot on. Mahomes didn't break a sweat the last time he played us. IIRC, just abused the zone behind the LB's and in front of the S's all day. LB's were brutal in coverage. We just saw some of this with the Lions.

Agree, the last game against KC, those KC screens just took advantage of the wide 9 gap penetrating scheme. A possible counter is the Zone Blitz. I.e. one DLineman dropping back in zone coverage. Wilks is supposed to be an expert in those zone-rush schemes.

KC will do those Lions toss crack plays, it puts our DEs in a bind and could potentially open up our putrid pass defense to a play pass explosive call.

Chris Jones is going to have to be given the Aron Donald treatment. Kyle has to run the ball a lot in this game. I just hope Kyle doesn't outsmart himself like he did in 2019.

Putrid pass defense? 5th best in the league at 5.9 yards per attempt allowed.

That's against average offenses - Patrick is not *Average.*

Nobody has given up but we'd be lying if how both teams played in the playoffs so far indicates the 49ers should be favored in this game.

Hopefully the week off for both teams ends up giving us teams we saw most of the season which was a Chiefs team which had issues on offense and a 49ers team that was red hot on both sides of the ball.

But honestly if you didn't have concern about Andy Reid outcoaching Wilks...then I'll have what you're having.

1. Wilks and the defense

4. Jake Moody

Spot on. Mahomes didn't break a sweat the last time he played us. IIRC, just abused the zone behind the LB's and in front of the S's all day. LB's were brutal in coverage. We just saw some of this with the Lions.

Agree, the last game against KC, those KC screens just took advantage of the wide 9 gap penetrating scheme. A possible counter is the Zone Blitz. I.e. one DLineman dropping back in zone coverage. Wilks is supposed to be an expert in those zone-rush schemes.

KC will do those Lions toss crack plays, it puts our DEs in a bind and could potentially open up our putrid pass defense to a play pass explosive call.

Chris Jones is going to have to be given the Aron Donald treatment. Kyle has to run the ball a lot in this game. I just hope Kyle doesn't outsmart himself like he did in 2019.

Look, you can never discount Patrick mahommes and what he can do - he can hit a 99 yard pass as easily a 1 yard pass. But if we are speaking about this year, they've thrown behind the line of scrimmage a lot. They don't have the same down field threat that they've had in past years.

unfortunately, I'm really worried about how well we can cover those. I'm eager to see if we can stop those BEHIND LOS passes and put them in third and long - cause ar that point just need to double cover Kelce
Originally posted by Crown:

9ers are prone to that as well.

Greenlaw or Lenoir can get heated at times.

Just stating how that 15th ranked KC scoring offense put up most of its 17 points against the #1 ranked scoring defense.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:

Man o man, I think Brady would be awesome as a talking head on TV, specially when he's going to do a 49er game on Fox.

1. Wilks and the defense

4. Jake Moody

Patrick has been pretty average this season. And if we cannot go by regular season statistics than we must throw it all out the window and just base all of our debates solely on opinion. My eye test is better than your eye test.
This is only the 3rd time in SB history that the same teams met within a 4 year span. The last time was 2012 when NE and the Giants met. Before that you have to go back t the 90s when Dallas and Buffalo met in consecutive years. Same coaches and some of the same players. Niners have two big additions. Purdy and CMC. The Chiefs have a better defense but one major subtraction on offense. Tyreek Hill.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Jan 30, 2024 at 10:49 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:

1. Wilks and the defense

4. Jake Moody

Look, you can never discount Patrick mahommes and what he can do - he can hit a 99 yard pass as easily a 1 yard pass. But if we are speaking about this year, they've thrown behind the line of scrimmage a lot. They don't have the same down field threat that they've had in past years.

unfortunately, I'm really worried about how well we can cover those. I'm eager to see if we can stop those BEHIND LOS passes and put them in third and long - cause ar that point just need to double cover Kelce

Our pass defense is good, when playing *teams other than* Patrick's team. I'll just reference last year's game against KC, we got torched. Statistics can mislead someone to think otherwise or take up a bad strategy, if you don't know what you are looking at.

Pacheco is a good running back. They don't need much running to get ahead of the 49ers with their explosive passing offense. Yes they don't have Tyreek and there were WR drops *early in the season* but this is the playoffs. Its a different season and KC plays differently in the playoffs. Stats don't measure those kinds of differences.
49ers have rushed for more then 113 yards in 15 out of 19 games.
49ers are 1-3 when rushing for 113 yards or less. (Trent missed 3 of these 4 games and Deebo missed all or significant parts of all 4)
49ers are 13-2 when rushing for more than 113 yards.

All 6 of the Chiefs losses have come in games where they gave up more than 113 rushing yards. They are 6-6 in those games.

Lean into our strength. Run the ball. Stay committed. Tire the defense. Control the clock. Keep Mahomes off the field. Put up some rushing stats and we have a very good chance in this one.
Originally posted by scooterhd:
49ers have rushed for more then 113 yards in 15 out of 19 games.
49ers are 1-3 when rushing for 113 yards or less. (Trent missed 3 of these 4 games and Deebo missed all or significant parts of all 4)
49ers are 13-2 when rushing for more than 113 yards.

All 6 of the Chiefs losses have come in games where they gave up more than 113 rushing yards. They are 6-6 in those games.

Lean into our strength. Run the ball. Stay committed. Tire the defense. Control the clock. Keep Mahomes off the field. Put up some rushing stats and we have a very good chance in this one.

Yup, if we can win the trenches it bodes well. Wont be easy at all tho.
Share 49ersWebzone