Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
niner fans have already given up lolol

Nobody has given up but we'd be lying if how both teams played in the playoffs so far indicates the 49ers should be favored in this game.

Hopefully the week off for both teams ends up giving us teams we saw most of the season which was a Chiefs team which had issues on offense and a 49ers team that was red hot on both sides of the ball.

But honestly if you didn't have concern about Andy Reid outcoaching Wilks...then I'll have what you're having.

Agreed: my list of concerns:

1. Wilks and the defense

2. Run defense and discipline specifically

3. our offensive line especially with pass protection

4. Jake Moody

Spot on. Mahomes didn't break a sweat the last time he played us. IIRC, just abused the zone behind the LB's and in front of the S's all day. LB's were brutal in coverage. We just saw some of this with the Lions.

Agree, the last game against KC, those KC screens just took advantage of the wide 9 gap penetrating scheme. A possible counter is the Zone Blitz. I.e. one DLineman dropping back in zone coverage. Wilks is supposed to be an expert in those zone-rush schemes.

KC will do those Lions toss crack plays, it puts our DEs in a bind and could potentially open up our putrid pass defense to a play pass explosive call.

Chris Jones is going to have to be given the Aron Donald treatment. Kyle has to run the ball a lot in this game. I just hope Kyle doesn't outsmart himself like he did in 2019.

Putrid pass defense? 5th best in the league at 5.9 yards per attempt allowed.

That's against average offenses - Patrick is not *Average.*

Patrick has been pretty average this season. And if we cannot go by regular season statistics than we must throw it all out the window and just base all of our debates solely on opinion. My eye test is better than your eye test.

Pretry much have to throw *regular season stats* out the window. They are still useful as base reference to get an idea of how good a team is. But yes, basically its a new season. The game is much faster and much more intense in the plahoffs. Example - 49ers had to ramp up their speed and intensity in the lions game in the 2nd half. If they didnt, we'd be sitting at home watching the Lions and KC go at it in the Superbowl.

The most watched conference championship ever, top 2, are both niner games AND both more than the AFC ever has! Niner gang don't mess around, we really are America's team. Bum ass cowgirls.
Patrick has been pretty average this season. And if we cannot go by regular season statistics than we must throw it all out the window and just base all of our debates solely on opinion. My eye test is better than your eye test.

Just watching KC games, Mahomes has been as good as any player in the NFL. He's insane, pre and post snap awareness, arm talent, putting it on guys, moving in the pocket, ability to scramble, and he's a pretty big dude, I saw multiple times in postseason, when he has a one on one with a DL or LB and Mahomes is going forward for the first, thru contact. Sees the whole field, can keep eyes downfield while feeling the rush, seemingly eyes in the back of his head.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by scooterhd:
49ers have rushed for more then 113 yards in 15 out of 19 games.
49ers are 1-3 when rushing for 113 yards or less. (Trent missed 3 of these 4 games and Deebo missed all or significant parts of all 4)
49ers are 13-2 when rushing for more than 113 yards.

All 6 of the Chiefs losses have come in games where they gave up more than 113 rushing yards. They are 6-6 in those games.

Lean into our strength. Run the ball. Stay committed. Tire the defense. Control the clock. Keep Mahomes off the field. Put up some rushing stats and we have a very good chance in this one.

Yup, if we can win the trenches it bodes well. Wont be easy at all tho.

Feliciano and Banks will be key to do that. Chris Jones is a freak and will shut down runs to his side. Brendel needs to call a good game from the OLine perspective for our runs to be effective.
Our pass defense is good, when playing *teams other than* Patrick's team. I'll just reference last year's game against KC, we got torched. Statistics can mislead someone to think otherwise or take up a bad strategy, if you don't know what you are looking at.

Pacheco is a good running back. They don't need much running to get ahead of the 49ers with their explosive passing offense. Yes they don't have Tyreek and there were WR drops *early in the season* but this is the playoffs. Its a different season and KC plays differently in the playoffs. Stats don't measure those kinds of differences.

That KC game was close for most of it. Big difference is we now have a fill built in CMC and Brock. No Jimmy

it was 28-23 in the fourth. Then it just exploded with jimmy taking a safety. Fook jimmy! We have badass Brock now!
[ Edited by tankle104 on Jan 30, 2024 at 10:55 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Just watching KC games, Mahomes has been as good as any player in the NFL. He's insane, pre and post snap awareness, arm talent, putting it on guys, moving in the pocket, ability to scramble, and he's a pretty big dude, I saw multiple times in postseason, when he has a one on one with a DL or LB and Mahomes is going forward for the first, thru contact. Sees the whole field, can keep eyes downfield while feeling the rush, seemingly eyes in the back of his head.

Mahomes has had a great year on the contrary, but outside of Travis Swift, his weapons have been pretty mediocre
Patrick Mahomes this season was 32nd in the league in completed air yards per completion at 4.1 yards.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Jan 30, 2024 at 10:55 AM ]
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by tankle104:
Our pass defense is good, when playing *teams other than* Patrick's team. I'll just reference last year's game against KC, we got torched. Statistics can mislead someone to think otherwise or take up a bad strategy, if you don't know what you are looking at.

Pacheco is a good running back. They don't need much running to get ahead of the 49ers with their explosive passing offense. Yes they don't have Tyreek and there were WR drops *early in the season* but this is the playoffs. Its a different season and KC plays differently in the playoffs. Stats don't measure those kinds of differences.

That KC game was close for most of it. Big difference is we now have a fill built in CMC and Brock. No Jimmy

I am constantly amazed at how open their TE is.

You would think he would get more double teams, and more reroutes.

he has a hell of a knack for getting open when the quarterback bails the pocket.
Originally posted by RiceOwensStokes:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Mahomes has had a great year on the contrary, but outside of Travis Swift, his weapons have been pretty mediocre

Keep hearing that but Rashee Rice has been excellent since Week 11.
Originally posted by Crown:
I am constantly amazed at how open their TE is.

You would think he would get more double teams, and more reroutes.

he has a hell of a knack for getting open when the quarterback bails the pocket.

So I watch the kelce podcast - essentially travis changes his route all the time. If he sees open space, he just runs towards it and breaks off from the play call. Him and Pat have such a great connection - he will tell Pat if he sees a certain coverage, he's changing his route.

if you go back to the 13 second game against Buffalo, where they got in field goal range - travis changed the route and told Pat pre snap he was going to if he saw a certain coverage.

he's a very savvy player like that. It isn't scheme, it's just backyard football and Pat is great like that.

Patrick Mahomes this season was 32nd in the league in completed air yards per completion at 4.1 yards.

Yeah like I said, they throw short a lot. Specifically behind the sticks - like screens and dumb offs.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:

it was 28-23 in the fourth. Then it just exploded

I don't think it was a close game. But you are right, 49ers are a much more powerful and explosive offensive team now. Kyle has to take advantage of that and keep Patrick on the bench. Why? Because I don't have a lot of confidence our *own defense* can stop Patrick. Again just my opinion.
I don't think it was a close game. But you are right, 49ers are a much more powerful and explosive offensive team now. Kyle has to take advantage of that and keep Patrick on the bench. Why? Because I don't have a lot of confidence our *own defense* can stop Patrick. Again just my opinion.

It was a one score game near the middle of the fourth. Then jimmy took a sack in the endzone and it imploded from there. He took a lot of sacks on fourth down. The score is misleading - it wasn't as bad as it seemed and we have had major upgrade at QB.

jimmy got strip sacked in the fourth too. Just awful pocket awareness
[ Edited by tankle104 on Jan 30, 2024 at 11:00 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
niner fans have already given up lolol

Nobody has given up but we'd be lying if how both teams played in the playoffs so far indicates the 49ers should be favored in this game.

Hopefully the week off for both teams ends up giving us teams we saw most of the season which was a Chiefs team which had issues on offense and a 49ers team that was red hot on both sides of the ball.

But honestly if you didn't have concern about Andy Reid outcoaching Wilks...then I'll have what you're having.

Agreed: my list of concerns:

1. Wilks and the defense

2. Run defense and discipline specifically

3. our offensive line especially with pass protection

4. Jake Moody

Spot on. Mahomes didn't break a sweat the last time he played us. IIRC, just abused the zone behind the LB's and in front of the S's all day. LB's were brutal in coverage. We just saw some of this with the Lions.

Agree, the last game against KC, those KC screens just took advantage of the wide 9 gap penetrating scheme. A possible counter is the Zone Blitz. I.e. one DLineman dropping back in zone coverage. Wilks is supposed to be an expert in those zone-rush schemes.

KC will do those Lions toss crack plays, it puts our DEs in a bind and could potentially open up our putrid pass defense to a play pass explosive call.

Chris Jones is going to have to be given the Aron Donald treatment. Kyle has to run the ball a lot in this game. I just hope Kyle doesn't outsmart himself like he did in 2019.

Putrid pass defense? 5th best in the league at 5.9 yards per attempt allowed.

That's against average offenses - Patrick is not *Average.*

Pretry much have to throw *regular season stats* out the window. They are still useful as base reference to get an idea of how good a team is. But yes, basically its a new season. The game is much faster and much more intense in the plahoffs. Example - 49ers had to ramp up their speed and intensity in the lions game in the 2nd half. If they didnt, we'd be sitting at home watching the Lions and KC go at it in the Superbowl.

You are absolutely right. We stand no chance. Bow down to the KC chiefs. Might as well start looking at draft prospects and get ready for the off season. Cuz we are getting blown out 54-0.
Patrick Mahomes this season was 32nd in the league in the in completed air yards per completion at 4.1 yards.

That tells me KC likes a lot of screen concepts and Reid is known for his use of the shovel pass also. I don't think anyone doubts the capability Mahomes has, of shooting it downfield. It's a lil of a catch 22, cuz teams typically get their safeties way off the LOS vs Mahomes, inviting the underneath throws, and KC willing to take em if they are given. Course when you come up, that's when they hit you over the top, like to MVS to end the Ravens. KCs strength they can really get physical on the ground, and work teams with the short pass game like a KS team can. They are gonna force you out of that 2 deep look.
Share 49ersWebzone