There are 312 users in the forums

🏆 SUPER BOWL LVIII PREGAME THREAD - SF 49ERS vs KC CHIEFS 🏆

Shop Find 49ers gear online

🏆 SUPER BOWL LVIII PREGAME THREAD - SF 49ERS vs KC CHIEFS 🏆

Originally posted by Crown:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Our pass defense is good, when playing *teams other than* Patrick's team. I'll just reference last year's game against KC, we got torched. Statistics can mislead someone to think otherwise or take up a bad strategy, if you don't know what you are looking at.

Pacheco is a good running back. They don't need much running to get ahead of the 49ers with their explosive passing offense. Yes they don't have Tyreek and there were WR drops *early in the season* but this is the playoffs. Its a different season and KC plays differently in the playoffs. Stats don't measure those kinds of differences.

That KC game was close for most of it. Big difference is we now have a fill built in CMC and Brock. No Jimmy

I am constantly amazed at how open their TE is.

You would think he would get more double teams, and more reroutes.

he has a hell of a knack for getting open when the quarterback bails the pocket.

He should be double teamed on every 3rd down, may be even every down. The game plan should absolutely be to stop the run and take away Kelce. Maybe Ward and Greenlaw can do this? And have Warner shadow Mahomes or something? I don't know but my fear is this may be a better plan than what Wilks has lol
With that said, I'm out. This place wants to talk about how we will lose instead of how we can win. f**k ALL THIS NEGATIVITY. See you all after we win the SB.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
With that said, I'm out. This place wants to talk about how we will lose instead of how we can win. f**k ALL THIS NEGATIVITY. See you all after we win the SB.

This is why I keep posting positive stuff hahah. Idk why the f**k everyone wants to be whiners. I think we take it all home this year and get over the hump! Get that monkey off our back!

lol bro. just skip through. ive outlined multiple positive things. We are in a superbowl, we've been lauded as the best team all year, we are the current betting favorite. We definitely have a chance to win this game. And it would be very fitting given the possibility of revenge for Bosa, Warner, Kittle, Deebo, etc. Except now we got Brock and CMC. we can pull this off.

Ignore the negativity. You're a great contributor to the forum. Also, we match up very well against the Chiefs, much better than our match up in the 2020 SB.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
I don't think it was a close game. But you are right, 49ers are a much more powerful and explosive offensive team now. Kyle has to take advantage of that and keep Patrick on the bench. Why? Because I don't have a lot of confidence our *own defense* can stop Patrick. Again just my opinion.

It was a one score game near the middle of the fourth. Then jimmy took a sack in the endzone and it imploded from there. He took a lot of sacks on fourth down. The score is misleading - it wasn't as bad as it seemed and we have had major upgrade at QB.

jimmy got strip sacked in the fourth too. Just awful pocket awareness

Some important differences - last year that was the regular season. This is the Superbowl - that does change things significantly from a thinking and stress level. Patrick's been in this a while. Purdy is a newbie in the Superbowl.

Yes we upgraded on QB and RB, but I think our defense last year was better than our defense this year. Add in the fact we lost Huff - that hurts our run defense and our pass defense. So overall, I think we're more talented than last year, but not by much. That KC game is the only *real* data point i think i have that is really valid because a lot of variables there in that game are similar to the upcoming game. (And Yes - agree - are Are important differences too from that game, jimmy Brock etc...)
The thought of the Chiefs beating us again sickens me. If we win the SB we would have checked off every NFC Team that were in the playoffs and had beef with: Eagles, Cowboys, Lions, Packers, Rams and Tampa Bay. We then would have exacted sweet revenge against the Chiefs Core from 2019 (Mahomes, Kelce, Reid, Jones, and a few others). It could simply be the most perfect season. It could also all be taken again by Mahomes. I'll also throw the Ravens in there. I know we didn't beat them, but we will have beaten them in spirit. Their fans were so cocky after they beat us and secured the MVP for Lamar. If Brock gets SB MVP, we beat them too.

How do you guys keep the bad thoughts away for the next two weeks?
[ Edited by Silky on Jan 30, 2024 at 11:11 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
niner fans have already given up lolol

Nobody has given up but we'd be lying if how both teams played in the playoffs so far indicates the 49ers should be favored in this game.

Hopefully the week off for both teams ends up giving us teams we saw most of the season which was a Chiefs team which had issues on offense and a 49ers team that was red hot on both sides of the ball.

But honestly if you didn't have concern about Andy Reid outcoaching Wilks...then I'll have what you're having.

Agreed: my list of concerns:

1. Wilks and the defense

2. Run defense and discipline specifically

3. our offensive line especially with pass protection

4. Jake Moody

Spot on. Mahomes didn't break a sweat the last time he played us. IIRC, just abused the zone behind the LB's and in front of the S's all day. LB's were brutal in coverage. We just saw some of this with the Lions.

Agree, the last game against KC, those KC screens just took advantage of the wide 9 gap penetrating scheme. A possible counter is the Zone Blitz. I.e. one DLineman dropping back in zone coverage. Wilks is supposed to be an expert in those zone-rush schemes.

KC will do those Lions toss crack plays, it puts our DEs in a bind and could potentially open up our putrid pass defense to a play pass explosive call.

Chris Jones is going to have to be given the Aron Donald treatment. Kyle has to run the ball a lot in this game. I just hope Kyle doesn't outsmart himself like he did in 2019.

Putrid pass defense? 5th best in the league at 5.9 yards per attempt allowed.

That's against average offenses - Patrick is not *Average.*

Patrick has been pretty average this season. And if we cannot go by regular season statistics than we must throw it all out the window and just base all of our debates solely on opinion. My eye test is better than your eye test.

Pretry much have to throw *regular season stats* out the window. They are still useful as base reference to get an idea of how good a team is. But yes, basically its a new season. The game is much faster and much more intense in the plahoffs. Example - 49ers had to ramp up their speed and intensity in the lions game in the 2nd half. If they didnt, we'd be sitting at home watching the Lions and KC go at it in the Superbowl.

You are absolutely right. We stand no chance. Bow down to the KC chiefs. Might as well start looking at draft prospects and get ready for the off season. Cuz we are getting blown out 54-0.

Whether you're positive or negative about our chances in this game, we should all be able to agree that full-season stats don't really reflect how either of these teams is currently playing.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
niner fans have already given up lolol

Nobody has given up but we'd be lying if how both teams played in the playoffs so far indicates the 49ers should be favored in this game.

Hopefully the week off for both teams ends up giving us teams we saw most of the season which was a Chiefs team which had issues on offense and a 49ers team that was red hot on both sides of the ball.

But honestly if you didn't have concern about Andy Reid outcoaching Wilks...then I'll have what you're having.

Agreed: my list of concerns:

1. Wilks and the defense

2. Run defense and discipline specifically

3. our offensive line especially with pass protection

4. Jake Moody

Spot on. Mahomes didn't break a sweat the last time he played us. IIRC, just abused the zone behind the LB's and in front of the S's all day. LB's were brutal in coverage. We just saw some of this with the Lions.

Agree, the last game against KC, those KC screens just took advantage of the wide 9 gap penetrating scheme. A possible counter is the Zone Blitz. I.e. one DLineman dropping back in zone coverage. Wilks is supposed to be an expert in those zone-rush schemes.

KC will do those Lions toss crack plays, it puts our DEs in a bind and could potentially open up our putrid pass defense to a play pass explosive call.

Chris Jones is going to have to be given the Aron Donald treatment. Kyle has to run the ball a lot in this game. I just hope Kyle doesn't outsmart himself like he did in 2019.

Putrid pass defense? 5th best in the league at 5.9 yards per attempt allowed.

That's against average offenses - Patrick is not *Average.*

Patrick has been pretty average this season. And if we cannot go by regular season statistics than we must throw it all out the window and just base all of our debates solely on opinion. My eye test is better than your eye test.

Pretry much have to throw *regular season stats* out the window. They are still useful as base reference to get an idea of how good a team is. But yes, basically its a new season. The game is much faster and much more intense in the plahoffs. Example - 49ers had to ramp up their speed and intensity in the lions game in the 2nd half. If they didnt, we'd be sitting at home watching the Lions and KC go at it in the Superbowl.

You are absolutely right. We stand no chance. Bow down to the KC chiefs. Might as well start looking at draft prospects and get ready for the off season. Cuz we are getting blown out 54-0.

I don't think I said well lose. My main point is that KC team is *much* more formidable than what the statistics say.

Originally posted by Silky:
The thought of the Chiefs beating us again sickens me. If we win the SB we would have checked off every NFC Team that were in the playoffs and had beef with: Eagles, Cowboys, Lions, Packers, Rams and Tampa Bay. We then would have exacted sweet revenge against the Chiefs Core from 2019 (Mahomes, Kelce, Reid, Jones, and a few others). It could simply be the most perfect season. It could also all be taken again by Mahomes. I'll also throw the Ravens in there. I know we didn't beat them, but we will have beaten them in spirit. Their fans were so cocky after they beat us and secured the MVP for Lamar. If Brock gets SB MVP, we beat them too.

How do you guys keep the bad thoughts away for the next two weeks?

Just enjoy the moments. Good thoughts, bad thoughts, nerves, anxiety. Whatever it may be, I'd rather have those feelings then being Lions or Packer fans right now. We got to the Super Bowl! You cant win it unless you get there. Enjoy it.

This is why I keep posting positive stuff hahah. Idk why the f**k everyone wants to be whiners. I think we take it all home this year and get over the hump! Get that monkey off our back!

Or people are trying to avoid jinxing it. I do this all the time
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Just watching KC games, Mahomes has been as good as any player in the NFL. He's insane, pre and post snap awareness, arm talent, putting it on guys, moving in the pocket, ability to scramble, and he's a pretty big dude, I saw multiple times in postseason, when he has a one on one with a DL or LB and Mahomes is going forward for the first, thru contact. Sees the whole field, can keep eyes downfield while feeling the rush, seemingly eyes in the back of his head.

That's why it's on our O. I trust Wilkes about as much as Kyle surely does. Dude waited until half to change anything up with the front . It's like he didn't have a second plan ready to go. WTF. Young is almost a liability at this point. Laziest guy I've maybe ever seen on the edge.
[ Edited by socal1632 on Jan 30, 2024 at 11:28 AM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by father49er:

Ignore the negativity. You're a great contributor to the forum. Also, we match up very well against the Chiefs, much better than our match up in the 2020 SB.

Brock is the great equalizer, and without Tyreek, that big play ability is greatly hampered. They did sign Scantling as a deep threat but, come on, Tyreek to Scantling is a gigantic step down. Kyle is no longer restrained and can dial up all the creative stuff he can think of to stress the KC defense. These are two different teams compared to 2019, very different. Oh yeah, the 49ers also have the best RB in the league this time around.
Originally posted by socal1632:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Just watching KC games, Mahomes has been as good as any player in the NFL. He's insane, pre and post snap awareness, arm talent, putting it on guys, moving in the pocket, ability to scramble, and he's a pretty big dude, I saw multiple times in postseason, when he has a one on one with a DL or LB and Mahomes is going forward for the first, thru contact. Sees the whole field, can keep eyes downfield while feeling the rush, seemingly eyes in the back of his head.

That's why it's on our O. I trust Wilkes about as much as Kyle surely does. Dude waited until half to change anything up with the fronr . Young is almost a liability at this point. Laziest guy I've maybe ever seen on the edge.

I more or less agree. Our O with that many weapons, hopefully they can just move it up and down for TDs. Our D, Hargrave, Chase, Gregory, all play better vs the pass. We can take away their run game, if we get them chasing the game, make them one dimensional. That would help our D a great deal.
Share 49ersWebzone