There are 254 users in the forums

🏆 SUPER BOWL LVIII PREGAME THREAD - SF 49ERS vs KC CHIEFS 🏆

Shop Find 49ers gear online

🏆 SUPER BOWL LVIII PREGAME THREAD - SF 49ERS vs KC CHIEFS 🏆

Originally posted by Young2Owens:
Let's stop being so extreme. This is isn't going Tom be an easy matchup. It's the chiefs, I don't care how much better we look on paper, we will have to earn this one. That said I believe we can win.

Exactly. It's a toss up game that can go either way, like the vast majority of SB's over the last two and a half decades, including our last matchup with the Chiefs
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by boast:

LFG! We are the better team!! I can feel it - this is our year. it'll be a magical ending, baby!

THINGS ARE REAL WEIRD IN SAN FRAN, HUH JIMMY! MUAHAHAH

Special Teams

SF - #25
KC - #6

I'm seriously concerned about special teams. lol have been all post season. I really hope we don't give them a chance to return a kick and just boot it through the endzone every time.

Best thing Moody did in the NFCCG was kick all of his kicks into the endzone and avoid any return opportunities.

LFG! We are the better team!! I can feel it - this is our year. it'll be a magical ending, baby!

THINGS ARE REAL WEIRD IN SAN FRAN, HUH JIMMY! MUAHAHAH

These numbers are absolute BS lol.
Originally posted by Montana:
Originally posted by DrEll:
It's grasping at straws at this point. A lot of "we're due" and "we got this" etc etc. no real facts to back up that talk. We're gonna get reamed against the chiefs…

No one wants to hear your negative b******t. Either keep it to yourself or share some reasons why we may be able to win.

if we win, you don't get to celebrate. You can go be sad with the chiefs fans - cause that's obviously who you're rooting for.

😂
Originally posted by ninersrule4:

They're season long ranks that don't include playoff games.

Weighted DVOA would be better. Looking at games from Sep-Oct-Nov practically useless
lol I make a lot of spelling errors when i post from my phone. yeah I do! my buddy has already said I can crash in one of his spare rooms. I told him he should rent his 3 extra bedrooms out! make big money this weekend.

yeah, I'm sort of hoping he decides to not go at the last minute and i can. lmao but I just felt guilty.

Oh I wasn't commenting on your spelling, lol I am not an ass like that haha. Was just funny. Hey, that's a good idea! Airbnb and make profit. But yeah, take that room at your buddies house and snag the offer if that guy doesn't go. I would feel guilty too but probably once in a lifetime man. DO IT lol
It's grasping at straws at this point. A lot of "we're due" and "we got this" etc etc. no real facts to back up that talk. We're gonna get reamed against the chiefs…

You guys are grasping at straws…

Get out of here, Grant Cohen
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
Let's stop being so extreme. This is isn't going to be an easy matchup. It's the chiefs, I don't care how much better we look on paper, we will have to earn this one. That said I believe we can win.

This game will most likely come down to who has it last, if we aren't able to get any sort of two score lead.

the year they beat us, they were down by 10+ in every single round, including the super bowl, and came back. They were down like 28-0 against the Texans and dropped 50+ lol or something wild like that. Mahommes was able to move the ball and tie a game with 13 seconds left.

so I don't see a blowout but i hope we can get a 2 score lead to fend em off so we don't end up needing a game winning drive, but that's how it'll most likely end up, IMO.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Weighted DVOA would be better. Looking at games from Sep-Oct-Nov practically useless

Exactly. It's a toss up game that can go either way, like the vast majority of SB's over the last two and a half decades, including our last matchup with the Chiefs

Yup. We know Mahomes will do Mahomes stuff. But we also know he doesn't have many explosive players like before. We also got some horses on defense and we are pretty much healthy going into this game. It is up to Wilks to put a nice game plan. Offensively, we know what we got in Purdy. He is a thousand better than Jimmy G in all facets of the game and he has all the weapons at his disposal. Shany will find KCs defense weakness, I just hope that our OL can hold long enough. We can definitely win this.
Btw, is Ferrell coming back?
Originally posted by boast:

So their defense is similar to ours, by the numbers
Originally posted by 49ersking:
You know how Vegas works. The end game is to make $$$, so I would consider the line as one of the factors, not the only one. Forget all the stats and the comparisons - if we had no stake in this game, the key coaches/players/schemes/experience are in KC's favor. It's all on paper, but that's all we have for now.
Let's see what happens when the actual game is played. Hoping for the best.

The problem (well one of them) is you are doing a position by position comparison (including coaches) and not actually doing a matchup comparison. Purdy isn't going to be on the field the same time as Mahomes as the easiest example.

At a high level, the Chiefs offense recently won against the best defense in the league. Also, the Chiefs defense stopped the Dolphins, Bills and the Ravens. The road to the SB was much tougher for KC than the 49ers (we made it more difficult on ourselves than it should have been). Ideally, we want the 49ers of the first 5 games this season. Where are they?
Shanahan has a good record after a break, hopefully that is a positive. Also, no Jimmy G. this time, and we have both Purdy and CMC.The DLine has to step up big time, that's how the Bucs won against the Chiefs last time.
Originally posted by Sanfran_chrisco:
Originally posted by linkboy:
Originally posted by Sanfran_chrisco:
why the hell does KC get to be in their reds again? so lame

The home team designation alternates every year (the calendar year, not season year).

The AFC is the home team for even years, and the NFC for odd years.

The home team gets to choose their uniforms, and KC went with their red ones. Here's the last five Super Bowls:
  • 2020 - Kansas City home, wore red.
  • 2021 - Tampa home, wore white.
  • 2022 - Cincinnati home, wore black.
  • 2023 - Philadelphia home, wore green.
  • 2013 - Kansas City home, wearing red.

ah, I never knew this. interesting. thanks.

*edit

wish we could wear our '94 whites

It's actually based on the first 2 Super Bowls played, not the years…

Super Bowl I : Green Bay (NFL) was the designated home team, wore green jerseys; Kansas City (AFL) was the visiting team, wore white; based on which league was older

Super Bowl II : Oakland Raiders (AFL) was the home team, wore black jerseys; Green Bay (NFL) was the visiting team, wore white

…after the leagues merged in 1970, the rotation continued in the Super Bowl, now between the NFC and AFC, where odd-numbered Super Bowls the NFC is designated "home" and for even-numbered Super Bowls, it's the AFC that's "home". Home team can choose to wear their dark home jerseys or their white "road" jerseys, so sometimes a "home team" wears white instead, either because that's what they always wear (Cowboys), they won all their playoff games on the road and are superstitious about continuing to wear white (2005 Steelers), they lost a lot of Super Bowls wearing their dark jerseys (Broncos, wearing orange), or they won a previous Super Bowl wearing white (Patriots). Niners in 1994 and Rams in 2018 got special permission to wear throwback unis instead.
Originally posted by Montana:
lol I make a lot of spelling errors when i post from my phone. yeah I do! my buddy has already said I can crash in one of his spare rooms. I told him he should rent his 3 extra bedrooms out! make big money this weekend.

yeah, I'm sort of hoping he decides to not go at the last minute and i can. lmao but I just felt guilty.

Oh I wasn't commenting on your spelling, lol I am not an ass like that haha. Was just funny. Hey, that's a good idea! Airbnb and make profit. But yeah, take that room at your buddies house and snag the offer if that guy doesn't go. I would feel guilty too but probably once in a lifetime man. DO IT lol

Hahah I know you weren't. I just noticed it too, cracks me up. I may come out, If I do I'll hit up up and we can burn down a few chiefs parties.

i bet the niner showoit in Vegas is gonna be insane. I wonder what the fan ratio will be in the game.
Share 49ersWebzone