There are 477 users in the forums

🏆 SUPER BOWL LVIII PREGAME THREAD - SF 49ERS vs KC CHIEFS 🏆

Shop Find 49ers gear online

🏆 SUPER BOWL LVIII PREGAME THREAD - SF 49ERS vs KC CHIEFS 🏆

can you imagine the chiefs gameplanning these next couple weeks....

purdy has finally unleashed his scrambling ability so now they basically have to worry about a lamar jackson on the run, and drew brees in the pocket. lol

pick yo poison!
[ Edited by D0PEMAN on Jan 31, 2024 at 9:12 AM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Anyone go back to last year's matchup with the Chiefs? Very similar personnel and coaching staffs.

You can see how this could go to similar game plans this time around.

Notes:
CMC 1st game
SF up 10 quickly (drop in the RZ: could be 14)
Mahomes avoided the rush with a very quick TTT, roll outs, screens and back shoulder passes
Early INT by Gipson/Hufanga (2) to RZ INT for SF
KC heavy rush. All 5 TD's on the rush. They featured Pacheco, McKinnon and Hardman
We featured CMC & Kittle with screens and seams
Chris Jones a menace at DE and several batted passes again
KC's return game and coverage >>>>>> SF
Spags brought blitzes and they all worked
Kelce featured and targeted the slow S's in Gipson/Hufanga & Ward on deep completions (killers)
I counted 8 drops (?) total (minus penalties)
CMC & Wilson were featured rushers and were terrific
Screens killed us (McKinnon 35 yards on 3rd and 20)
Penalties erased many big plays (lack of discipline)
1 score game until 10 minutes to go (theme here)
Lots of timely hits/pressures/sacks

I can think of one Big difference

The issue with that last game wasn't the offense. Jimmy actually played well most of the game, just had a couple of bad mistakes (endzone INT, sacked for safety). The big reason why we lost that game was our D had no answers for Reid's offense. He was abusing us at will with screens, and we couldn't stop the run.

And that D was much better than our current D. I don't know if Wilks has the answers, it might take a legendary performance from our offense to win this one.
Anyone go back to last year's matchup with the Chiefs? Very similar personnel and coaching staffs.

Notes:
CMC 1st game
Mahomes avoided the rush with a very quick TTT, roll outs, screens and back shoulder passes
KC heavy rush. All 5 TD's on the rush. They featured Pacheco, McKinnon and Hardman
Kelce featured and targeted the slow S's in Gipson/Hufanga & Ward on deep completions (killers)

LMAO. Obviously.
Originally posted by Young2Owens:

Notes:
CMC 1st game

The issue with that last game wasn't the offense. Jimmy actually played well most of the game, just had a couple of bad mistakes (endzone INT, sacked for safety). The big reason why we lost that game was our D had no answers for Reid's offense. He was abusing us at will with screens, and we couldn't stop the run.

And that D was much better than our current D. I don't know if Wilks has the answers, it might take a legendary performance from our offense to win this one.

Yup. That's in my notes too.
  • thl408

Which one is it? Did he play well, or did he throw a red zone INT and get safetied?

edit: nm, I don't care what he did and don't care to discuss him.
[ Edited by thl408 on Jan 31, 2024 at 9:18 AM ]
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
EXACTLY! they all completely ignore the PI flag that flew across the screen, it would've been first and goal regardless of the catch.

The flag was picked up though
Originally posted by IrishCrnjo:
EXACTLY! they all completely ignore the PI flag that flew across the screen, it would've been first and goal regardless of the catch.

yes it was, because the niners declined the penalty
Originally posted by Chance:
That's too bad you feel that way. Have you ever tried maybe not solely focusing on the negatives? There's so f**king much to be juiced about yet here you are chicken little-ing the s**t out of everything. Enjoy the ride my dude.
Or maybe you're chicken littling the s**t out of me being pessimistic?

No it wasn't declined. They waved off the flag

Which one is it? Did he play well, or did he throw a red zone INT and get safetied?

edit: nm, I don't care what he did and don't care to discuss him.

I mean he did well for his standard, but yeah no need to discuss him lol. My point is, the offense did well enough to keep us in the game til the 4th quarter and to win had we got any stops from our D. We were able to generate an INT on Mahomes, yet he still diced us up.

Originally posted by Hysterikal:

What does that mean? The refs picked up the flag. There was no penalty called.
[ Edited by IrishCrnjo on Jan 31, 2024 at 9:27 AM ]
I mean he did well for his standard, but yeah no need to discuss him lol. My point is, the offense did well enough to keep us in the game til the 4th quarter and to win had we got any stops from our D. We were able to generate an INT on Mahomes, yet he still diced us up.

Agreed. I could easily see the same game plans for both with a more efficient and better processing QB, CMC & Kittle featured all game, and same for the Chiefs offensive and defensive plans. I could see a clear path to winning simply by cleaning things up (TO's, drops, penalties, unit PP). Our defense and ST are still major concerns, on the flip side.

Agreed. I could easily see the same game plans for both with a more efficient and better processing QB, CMC & Kittle featured all game, and same for the Chiefs offensive and defensive plans. I could see a clear path to winning simply by cleaning things up (TO's, drops, penalties, unit PP). Our defense and ST are still major concerns, on the flip side.

Surprisingly you're more optimistic than me this time. I still have belief we can win the game, but my confidence in the defense is severely shaken. Against the Packers and Lions, you could argue that it was an energy/effort/discipline issue that is correctible. Against these Chiefs, I have big doubts that our scheme can be effective. Brock and co. will need to score at will.

I was screaming from excitement after the catch that I missed the detail

but either way, big time players make big time plays in big time games...and aiyuk did that!

What does that mean? The refs picked up the flag. There was no penalty called.
watched seen it 3 times now, Refs said no penalty for PI and picked up the flag
Share 49ersWebzone