49ers bounce back from consecutive losses with decisive 30-13 win over Patriots →

There are 359 users in the forums

🏆 SUPER BOWL LVIII PREGAME THREAD - SF 49ERS vs KC CHIEFS 🏆

Shop Find 49ers gear online

🏆 SUPER BOWL LVIII PREGAME THREAD - SF 49ERS vs KC CHIEFS 🏆

Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by IrishCrnjo:
EXACTLY! they all completely ignore the PI flag that flew across the screen, it would've been first and goal regardless of the catch.

The flag was picked up though

yes it was, because the niners declined the penalty

No it wasn't declined. They waved off the flag

I was screaming from excitement after the catch that I missed the detail

but either way, big time players make big time plays in big time games...and aiyuk did that!
the ladybug did it

What does that mean? The refs picked up the flag. There was no penalty called.

They determined the contact was in the process of going for the ball. It's not so clear-cut. He certainly rerouted Aiyuk, which caused BA to not be able to play the ball. Calling it a push-off is a bit nebulous since he didn't extend his arms, although it's pretty clearly the DBs body took Aiyuk's momentum and transferred it into his own, which has the same effect as a push off. The more I think about it, the more I think a no-call was certainly a warranted interpretation, but I would have been quite pissed if he had intercepted the ball after that kind of contact. To me, I like that our QB was willing to take the risk even with the DB over top in good coverage. Sometimes you do it to draw a PI, or to give your All-pro a shot in a one on one situation. I'm glad it worked out, but even if it hadn't our offense was dialed in and still may have driven the field and scored a TD on the drive.
Originally posted by Chance:
They determined the contact was in the process of going for the ball. It's not so clear-cut. He certainly rerouted Aiyuk, which caused BA to not be able to play the ball. Calling it a push-off is a bit nebulous since he didn't extend his arms, although it's pretty clearly the DBs body took Aiyuk's momentum and transferred it into his own, which has the same effect as a push off. The more I think about it, the more I think a no-call was certainly a warranted interpretation, but I would have been quite pissed if he had intercepted the ball after that kind of contact. To me, I like that our QB was willing to take the risk even with the DB over top in good coverage. Sometimes you do it to draw a PI, or to give your All-pro a shot in a one on one situation. I'm glad it worked out, but even if it hadn't our offense was dialed in and still may have driven the field and scored a TD on the drive.

My main point was, that completion was freak luck for the 49ers, because they would not have been bailed out by a PI call.

I'll take it, but this team has lucked their way into the Super Bowl.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
I want Deebo in the backfield a lot this game. Lined up there with CMC, in motion for fake jet sweeps, a real jet sweep, run routes from there. Make them account for that threat all game while having to worry about CMC back there also.

My main point was, that completion was freak luck for the 49ers, because they would not have been bailed out by a PI call.

Yeah, well, there's luck in every game. Get used to it. Ambry Thomas had an easy INT, a ball in his hands that bounced back into the WRs (bad luck). So I see no point in whining about what could have been. This is the playoffs and every game is likely going to be a tough win.
  • pd24
  • Veteran

Who cares. Seattle almost won a SB because the ball bounced of some dudes leg and they caught it
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
Originally posted by NCommand:
I mean he did well for his standard, but yeah no need to discuss him lol. My point is, the offense did well enough to keep us in the game til the 4th quarter and to win had we got any stops from our D. We were able to generate an INT on Mahomes, yet he still diced us up.

Agreed. I could easily see the same game plans for both with a more efficient and better processing QB, CMC & Kittle featured all game, and same for the Chiefs offensive and defensive plans. I could see a clear path to winning simply by cleaning things up (TO's, drops, penalties, unit PP). Our defense and ST are still major concerns, on the flip side.

Surprisingly you're more optimistic than me this time. I still have belief we can win the game, but my confidence in the defense is severely shaken. Against the Packers and Lions, you could argue that it was an energy/effort/discipline issue that is correctible. Against these Chiefs, I have big doubts that our scheme can be effective. Brock and co. will need to score at will.

Yeah, while I can see a clear path to winning, the concerns are legit too.
I mean he did well for his standard, but yeah no need to discuss him lol. My point is, the offense did well enough to keep us in the game til the 4th quarter and to win had we got any stops from our D. We were able to generate an INT on Mahomes, yet he still diced us up.

Agreed. I could easily see the same game plans for both with a more efficient and better processing QB, CMC & Kittle featured all game, and same for the Chiefs offensive and defensive plans. I could see a clear path to winning simply by cleaning things up (TO's, drops, penalties, unit PP). Our defense and ST are still major concerns, on the flip side.

Surprisingly you're more optimistic than me this time. I still have belief we can win the game, but my confidence in the defense is severely shaken. Against the Packers and Lions, you could argue that it was an energy/effort/discipline issue that is correctible. Against these Chiefs, I have big doubts that our scheme can be effective. Brock and co. will need to score at will.

you guys are just gonna have to get used to the fact that the niners offense has to carry the team, in comparison to previous years it was vice versa

it's all gonna come down to kyle shanahan, he was born for this moment, and now that he has his QB, he's borderline unstoppable
  • DrEll
  • Veteran

What does that mean? The refs picked up the flag. There was no penalty called.

It was a perfect throw. Had the DB not stopped Aiyuk's momentum, he would have been perfectly placed to catch it. The DB didn't push off, but did impede Aiyuk's route. I'm surprised they picked up the flag, but I think it's because he caught it. Had it been picked off, I think the refs would have stuck with the DPI call…
  • DrEll
  • Veteran

you guys are just gonna have to get used to the fact that the niners offense has to carry the team, in comparison to previous years it was vice versa

it's all gonna come down to kyle shanahan, he was born for this moment, and now that he has his QB, he's borderline unstoppable

…except in the first half of games

You make your own Luck.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pd24:
I want Deebo in the backfield a lot this game. Lined up there with CMC, in motion for fake jet sweeps, a real jet sweep, run routes from there. Make them account for that threat all game while having to worry about CMC back there also.

Definitely more run calls! Spagnulos run and pass blitzes really force an offense to be inconsistent. I think thats one reason Ravens stopped running the ball, is that the runs didn't get consistent yardage. Lamar would get stuck in 3rd and longs, get a good pass gain, and then the Ravens start passing but KC calls a pass blitz and the pass game also becomes inconsistent.

Got to run it against KC even if it doesn't gain much yardage. Kyle can't get impatient and start passing deep.
Originally posted by pd24:

Who cares. Seattle almost won a SB because the ball bounced of some dudes leg and they caught it

Patriots both benefitted (2016) and were victims of (2007) two crazy luck* catches. You usually need one of those to win these days.

* - Tyree, Edelman and Aiyuk all benefitted from luck, but only because they also concentrated and made great effort, too. If any of those guys don't stay locked in when those plays happen then the luck doesn't matter anyway.
Originally posted by DrEll:

…except in the first half of games

that further solidifies my point, shanahan is now winning games he's "supposed to lose"

if they play to their full potential for 4 quarters the SB may not even be close like SB 29!
Refs pick up the flag because they dont want any review process after the game about getting the call wrong or right. One guys says PI, the other says clean. The main ref says he caught it anyway, pick it up. No extra deliberation needed. Had it been dropped or picked, you have no idea if the outcome is the same.
[ Edited by scooterhd on Jan 31, 2024 at 10:06 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone