49ers bounce back from consecutive losses with decisive 30-13 win over Patriots →

There are 457 users in the forums

🏆 SUPER BOWL LVIII PREGAME THREAD - SF 49ERS vs KC CHIEFS 🏆

Shop Find 49ers gear online

🏆 SUPER BOWL LVIII PREGAME THREAD - SF 49ERS vs KC CHIEFS 🏆

• thl408
One important coaching matchup that should be recognized is Chris Foerster (SF OL) versus Spagnuolo (KC DC). KC is going to come with creative pressure packages so Foerster better pull some all nighters preparing for it.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
Originally posted by DrEll:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
I mean he did well for his standard, but yeah no need to discuss him lol. My point is, the offense did well enough to keep us in the game til the 4th quarter and to win had we got any stops from our D. We were able to generate an INT on Mahomes, yet he still diced us up.

Agreed. I could easily see the same game plans for both with a more efficient and better processing QB, CMC & Kittle featured all game, and same for the Chiefs offensive and defensive plans. I could see a clear path to winning simply by cleaning things up (TO's, drops, penalties, unit PP). Our defense and ST are still major concerns, on the flip side.

Surprisingly you're more optimistic than me this time. I still have belief we can win the game, but my confidence in the defense is severely shaken. Against the Packers and Lions, you could argue that it was an energy/effort/discipline issue that is correctible. Against these Chiefs, I have big doubts that our scheme can be effective. Brock and co. will need to score at will.

Yeah, while I can see a clear path to winning, the concerns are legit too.

you guys are just gonna have to get used to the fact that the niners offense has to carry the team, in comparison to previous years it was vice versa

it's all gonna come down to kyle shanahan, he was born for this moment, and now that he has his QB, he's borderline unstoppable

…except in the first half of games

that further solidifies my point, shanahan is now winning games he's "supposed to lose"

if they play to their full potential for 4 quarters the SB may not even be close like SB 29!

I think the offense can do it. It's the defense that needs to show up. Play from ahead, we have a good chance. I'm not comfortable in a shoot out with Mahomes.
Originally posted by Chance:
Yeah, well, there's luck in every game. Get used to it. Ambry Thomas had an easy INT, a ball in his hands that bounced back into the WRs (bad luck). So I see no point in whining about what could have been. This is the playoffs and every game is likely going to be a tough win.

What makes you think I"m whining? I'm glad we got lucky, but we did get lucky.
Originally posted by thl408:
One important coaching matchup that should be recognized is Chris Foerster (SF OL) versus Spagnuolo (KC DC). KC is going to come with creative pressure packages so Foerster better pull some all nighters preparing for it.

A key here to me is Brock playing fast. A lot of that heat comes from all over the field, including DBs. If Brock is playing quick as he often does, KC may be in for a world of hurt. He can beat the blitz.
it's not about the matchup but more of open throwing lanes.. batted balls killed us in SB 54
I'm still confused how Mahomes plus a run game against our run defense doesn't lead to them being favored.
  • thl408
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

A key here to me is Brock playing fast. A lot of that heat comes from all over the field, including DBs. If Brock is playing quick as he often does, KC may be in for a world of hurt. He can beat the blitz.

Yeah he can beat the blitz. Not all blitzes are equal. KC has a well coached defense so not only do they blitz, they disguise behind it. One way to really punish KC blitz is to not keep CMC in for blitz pickup. Take advantage of the fact that Brock can beat the blitz and send out five routes regardless of the blitz coming. After CMC catches a short pass and runs for another 15 yards, KC should be a bit reluctant to blitz. But yeah, a big thing to watch is how SF decides to combat the blitz - max protect, send out five and throw it fast, or something in between.
Originally posted by scooterhd:
Refs pick up the flag because they dont want any review process after the game about getting the call wrong or right. One guys says PI, the other says clean. The main ref says he caught it anyway, pick it up. No extra deliberation needed. Had it been dropped or picked, you have no idea if the outcome is the same.

Except I see refs call penalties all the time on plays where the beneficiary is obviously going to decline.
Originally posted by IrishCrnjo:
Originally posted by Chance:
Yeah, well, there's luck in every game. Get used to it. Ambry Thomas had an easy INT, a ball in his hands that bounced back into the WRs (bad luck). So I see no point in whining about what could have been. This is the playoffs and every game is likely going to be a tough win.

What makes you think I"m whining? I'm glad we got lucky, but we did get lucky.

We didn't just get lucky. In fact, it played a small part. We won that game. Our dudes made play after play.

Unwarranted pessimism comes across as whiny to me. We got lucky on a play or two. Detroit also got lucky on a play or two. This is football. You seem to be completely missing the majority of a dominant 2nd half of play and a QB who was 13-16 with over 150 passing, 50 yards rushing, and a number of huge plays down the stretch. But one play that bounces off a guy's helmet and the whole things was just luck? C'mon man.
Seattle hiring a defensive guy, seems on point in an offensive driven league haha.

I was hoping for Quinn.

Dan possibly going to DC seems like a lateral move with Rivera gone

• pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I'm still confused how Mahomes plus a run game against our run defense doesn't lead to them being favored.

Look at how many points they have been putting up. They struggled a lot at times. They don't have a WR you have to double.

Chiefs run game is average. 18th in yards per game.
Originally posted by pd24:

Look at how many points they have been putting up. They struggled a lot at times. They don't have a WR you have to double.

Agreed they don't have the personnel like they had a couple years ago.

I'm sure Foerster will definitely be pulling some all nighters in LV.
I mean he did well for his standard, but yeah no need to discuss him lol. My point is, the offense did well enough to keep us in the game til the 4th quarter and to win had we got any stops from our D. We were able to generate an INT on Mahomes, yet he still diced us up.

Agreed. I could easily see the same game plans for both with a more efficient and better processing QB, CMC & Kittle featured all game, and same for the Chiefs offensive and defensive plans. I could see a clear path to winning simply by cleaning things up (TO's, drops, penalties, unit PP). Our defense and ST are still major concerns, on the flip side.

Surprisingly you're more optimistic than me this time. I still have belief we can win the game, but my confidence in the defense is severely shaken. Against the Packers and Lions, you could argue that it was an energy/effort/discipline issue that is correctible. Against these Chiefs, I have big doubts that our scheme can be effective. Brock and co. will need to score at will.

Yeah, while I can see a clear path to winning, the concerns are legit too.

you guys are just gonna have to get used to the fact that the niners offense has to carry the team, in comparison to previous years it was vice versa

it's all gonna come down to kyle shanahan, he was born for this moment, and now that he has his QB, he's borderline unstoppable

…except in the first half of games

that further solidifies my point, shanahan is now winning games he's "supposed to lose"

if they play to their full potential for 4 quarters the SB may not even be close like SB 29!

I think the offense can do it. It's the defense that needs to show up. Play from ahead, we have a good chance. I'm not comfortable in a shoot out with Mahomes.

I know for a fact the niners defense will show up because this is the fkn SUPERBOWL!

plus niners have more veterans on defense who are starving for a ring (except c ward)
Share 49ersWebzone