LISTEN: Were The 49ers Exposed In Week 2? →

There are 133 users in the forums

Thinking Positive: How we keep our Super Bowl Window Open Long-term

Shop Find 49ers gear online
or Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Guys.. it's a massive understatement to say it's hard to even write this.. because I'm sickened and heartbroken beyond belief. I emotionally invest myself every year 110% -- sometimes I wish I could not.. But I love this team with my heart and soul and it's been that way since I was a child.

This one hurts the most because it felt like our best chance we've had in decades. I barely slept last night and I feel like sh** this morning..

That said.. I can't wallow or it's going to make everything feel so much worse. The only way I'm going to feel any better in the short term is force myself to think as positively as possible so I can reclaim some sense of hope and optimism, and stay worthy of the term "49er faithful".

PRIORITIES IF I'M GM:

1. GET BETTER PROTECTION FOR PURDY
He made some insane plays with no time and/or while running for his life. He shouldn't have to be doing that all game. We had 2-3 potential touchdowns missed because he had no time to throw.

2. UPGRADE OUR DEPTH EVERYWHERE
The drop-off when a guy like Trent, Deebo, Greenlaw, Hufanga, Kittle, etc go out is super noticeable in key moments. While you can't expect to easily replicate them, you can limit the drop-off some. We can do better at corner than Thomas/Oliver. We can do better at linebacker than Burks, DFF, and Winters. We can do better at a lot of areas.

3. DON'T BLOW EVERYTHING UP, STAY OPTIMISTIC BECAUSE:
* We have a star quarterback who should be entering their prime in these next few years
* If we draft well to fortify our secondary, replace our aging IDL, and protect Purdy, we will be a force still on both sides of the ball
* Young guys like Jayir Brown, Jake Moody, Robert Beal, and maybe even Kinlaw if he returns, should be improved next year and offer greater contribution, and Hufanga will return from injury.
* Regardless of roster turnover, this should remain a perennial playoff team, that gives us a chance every year.

For your first part, same here. Really hurts with so many plays and chances. Just feel sick today. We were finally healthy and then some crazy s**t happened in the SuperBowl. If Dre doesn't get hurt, we win which I completely agree with needing more depth. The drop off is just too catastrophic in a lot of areas. I saw a post that Burks gave up something like 9 catches on 9 targets and surrendering a 137 something QB rating.

I think we hit on Jayir Brown so that's a big one. Our drafts haven't been very good lately. Even with not having a 1st rounder, we should've been able to at least get some depth but we have had a lot of wasted pick especially considering or the comp picks we have been getting. This coming up draft is going to be extremely critical. If we can hit on a few draft picks, we can keep this window open a little longer. Otherwise it's going to be very difficult with an aging roster and our salary cap situation.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by mtl_49er:
i think the depth on the Dline was a killer. Our line had Pat running for his life up until midway through the 3rd but the lack of depth kept slowing us down. We had 6 useable linemen (Arik, Hargrave & Kinlaw inside w/ Bosa, Gregory & Young outside). had we been able to rotate a little more, the pressure does not utterly collapse and make life easy for pat.

part of me wonders if we would not have been better off using Hargrave's money to keep ebukam & Omenihu and get a lesser DT who was good vs the run

Well tbf they were gassed when the offense basically did nothing in the 3rd quarter. Add losing Dre Greenlaw to the mix as well.

Yes they were gassed but they paid a lot of money for guy over 30 that's not great versus the run. Probably wasn't the smartest move in hindsight. But I don't think Ebukam or Omenihu would have been productive under Wilks. Most of there sacks were schemed up. And Wilks doesn't mix up his fronts.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
You guys are living in a pipe dream. There is no way we're making it back to the Super Bowl next year. Do you know how many breaks went out way this year just for us to squeak in.

only one major injury
12-5 record home field
come back victory vs GB after kicker botches kick
come back victory vs Det after coach goes dumb

no reason to believe we get all the right bounces next year. And Detroit will be better. GB will be better. LA will be better. You still have Dallas and Philly to contend with. Baker is making a name in TB. Oh and we play Rodgers, Tua, Allen, and Mahomes next year.

Game over !
The problem won't be salary cap related as much the problem will be replacing guys in the draft who are almost impossible to replace.

We're not going to go out and grab another Trent or Kittle in the draft.

Next season is the last year for this version of the team. Not saying we're going to slide, but even if we hit on draft picks it probably won't be in the exact positions we need.

Team going to look different for better or worse.
Originally posted by JaggedJ:
The problem won't be salary cap related as much the problem will be replacing guys in the draft who are almost impossible to replace.

Next season is the last year for this version of the team. Not saying we're going to slide, but even if we hit on draft picks it probably won't be in the exact positions we need.

To be honest, even if we hit on different positions, a star player would make a huge difference if it was anyone on the OL, DL, or CB IMO.

We are in good shape with Hufanga and Brown at S, Warner and Greenlaw (Achilles surgeries are very successful now and he'll be back fine) at LB, and at least for next year AA and Hargrave too.

I think we badly need another star on the OL, a bookend for Bosa, a good third linebacker for insurance (and or can we bring back Aziz?), and a versatile inside outside corner.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 12, 2024 at 4:46 PM ]
This core is old and not winning anything ever again.

I give it one more year on Brock's rookie deal, then they are finished. Everyone has got to go. They need to rebuild around Purdy and whatever b******t contract he is getting. I guess 50 million APY like Jalen
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by JaggedJ:

To be honest, even if we hit on different positions, a star player would make a huge difference if it was anyone on the OL, DL, or CB IMO.

We are in good shape with Hufanga and Brown at S, Warner and Greenlaw (Achilles surgeries are very successful now and he'll be back fine) at LB, and at least for next year AA and Hargrave too.

I think we badly need another star on the OL, a bookend for Bosa, a good third linebacker for insurance (and or can we bring back Aziz?), and a versatile inside outside corner.

OL is pretty much non-negotiable if we want to win imo.

I am a little concerned about the plan to replace Kittle as we've drafted TE's and none of them look like starter material let alone replacing Kittle in the future.

A decent OL might allow us to take on a TE who can still block but be prioritised as a receiver. That would be a nicer balance.

AA I have concerns about. Two years in a row missing games with foot injuries. I wouldn't count on getting a full season out of him next season.
I think it's closing. The defense will lose tons on the line next year in FA. Greenlaw will be rehabbing. The offensive line is a mess. Deebo is always hurt. TW is getting older. Purdy should in theory be better in the 3rd year. But the stuff around him should be declining. Probably less good than a #1 seed next year. Could be a lot less. We are due for a fall actually.

I truly believe shanahan is a schemer/OC who chokes and is not a head coach.

now that that's outta the way, Purdy is the real deal. He didn't lose the game last night and honestly shares none of the blame that can be spread to Shanny, oline, special teams, and even, sadly, Trent Williams and CMC (Trent for awful, drive killing penalties, and cmc for a crucial fumble and 3.9 on the ground).

Purdy played clean; smart; composed; and had moments despite his cast failing him (Samuel and kittle were complete zeroes)

it was great to see the moment wasn't too big or that he had a game of the yips.

I believe in Brock. I don't believe in kyle.

Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
I truly believe shanahan is a schemer/OC who chokes and is not a head coach.

now that that's outta the way, Purdy is the real deal. He didn't lose the game last night and honestly shares none of the blame that can be spread to Shanny, oline, special teams, and even, sadly, Trent Williams and CMC (Trent for awful, drive killing penalties, and cmc for a crucial fumble and 3.9 on the ground).

Purdy played clean; smart; composed; and had moments despite his cast failing him (Samuel and kittle were complete zeroes)

it was great to see the moment wasn't too big or that he had a game of the yips.

I believe in Brock. I don't believe in kyle.

Purdy > Shanahan.

For the future of this team. I've seen enough of Kyle.
Originally posted by jcs:
Kittle was forced to become a blocker in the playoffs because Kyle has neglected the Oline, he was a 1,000 yard receiver this year when he was actually allowed to eat.

100% this.

When allowed to….George eats. He is still a beast.
Draft rounds 1-4 offensive linesmen.
Unless you have Mahomes there is no long term window. You gotta take advantage of the opportunities you have while they are there. Kyle has had two chances at a Lombardi in his fingertips and failed to bring it home twice now. He has maybe one more shot this upcoming season before the weight of the cap with Purdy's new deal among many others and an aging defensive roster starts crashing down which means a reload phase.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
We need a plug-and-play start at OG period. McKivitz should be relegated to swing OT if they really hate Moore that much (TBH I think he'd better than McKivitz and should have started over him, based on what we saw of him at LT in spot duty).

The Dolphins are $51M over the cap next season. Robert Hunt is UFA. 28 years old, 6'6", 335. He is used to our system. #5 ranked OG per PFF. Equally good in both run and pass blocking. Spotrac estimates his market value at 4 years, $45M.
Share 49ersWebzone