Compete in our 2024 NFL Pick ‘em contest →

There are 185 users in the forums

Thinking Positive: How we keep our Super Bowl Window Open Long-term

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by HONEYBADGER:
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Originally posted by titan:
who ever didn't block Chris Jones on the last offensive play gotta go and replace him with a legit G.

Bring JJ and Conley back.
I hesitated on even posting this in a "thinking positive" thread, but I'll do it anyway to answer your question and because two of the three guys who mucked it up should be on our "explore replacements for them" list.

Even though the blocking got screwed up Purdy should have hit that pass, dude was open by 5 yards.

Mahomes wouldn't have missed that.

I agree. But contrary to popular belief, Mahomes doesn't actually complete every pass when there are two free rushers in his face before he's hit his back foot and no easy outlet.
Man it's sickening to see how open Aiyuk is.
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by socalfan21:
Honestly, does this team need Kittle? I feel like makes a lot for not contributing in the passing game as much as he should. His blocking is great but the niners can't find someone else who can block not making 15 mil? I'd rather them invest in a RT with that money

I don't want to assert who we need and don't need, but George Kittle will be 31 years old next season. 49ers should be trying to infuse some young talent at that position with receiving upside and not just a designated blocker.

Kittle was forced to become a blocker in the playoffs because Kyle has neglected the Oline, he was a 1,000 yard receiver this year when he was actually allowed to eat.

I saw on youtube the Kelce bros talking about that. They said his blocking is so good they dont let him catch, but Travis said its kinda crazy because he is a demon receiver etc.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Yes they were gassed but they paid a lot of money for guy over 30 that's not great versus the run. Probably wasn't the smartest move in hindsight. But I don't think Ebukam or Omenihu would have been productive under Wilks. Most of there sacks were schemed up. And Wilks doesn't mix up his fronts.

in particular for Omenihu, he was very good at end vs. the Run which was a problem for us all year and in passing situations could also slide inside and be a decent rusher providing more depth inside.

Ebukam was just solid everywhere, dude had 9 or 10 sacks this year, not bad at all as a bookend to Bosa. but the big thing would be these guys can log meaningful snaps to help keep everyone more fresh so guys could fire off the line throughout the game
We need Purdy to be the guy. It's that simple.

If he gets better next season, this team has a long window.

If he gets worse, the window closes.

Again, it's that simple. Look at the Chiefs. Look at the Bills. Look at the Bengals. Look at the Patriots with and without Brady. The Packers with and without Rodgers. The Saints with and without Brees. They're all contenders every year because they have their guy. And that guy is always very expensive, so you need him to be good enough to be worth it.

When you have the guy, the window is there. When you don't have the guy, you MIGHT luck into a Nick Foles or Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson Super Bowl win in what is virtually a one-year window, but that's it.

Purdy just turned 24. If he's a true franchise QB then this team will be contenders for 15 years. If he's another Nick Foles then it'll be awhile before we're contenders again.
[ Edited by Fanaticofnfl on Feb 13, 2024 at 11:34 AM ]
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:

Again, it's that simple. Look at the Chiefs. Look at the Bills. Look at the Bengals. Look at the Patriots with and without Brady. The Packers with and without Rodgers. The Saints with and without Brees. They're all contenders every year because they have their guy. And that guy is always very expensive, so you need him to be good enough to be worth it.

When you have the guy, the window is there. When you don't have the guy, you MIGHT luck into a Nick Foles or Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson Super Bowl win in what is virtually a one-year window, but that's it.

Purdy just turned 24. If he's a true franchise QB then this team will be contenders for 15 years. If he's another Nick Foles then it'll be awhile before we're contenders again.

Brock finds the open guy regardless of who it is. He makes plays under pressure. He can run. Shanahan should always be able to scheme well IMO. The biggest thing that a lot of these guys had was protection. Mahomes and Allen were the least sacked of any QB in the NFL this year. That's how they've able to perform so well. Now, of course, I'd argue that similarly to Purdy, their movement helps avoid sacks too.

As for the future HOFers -- Do people forget how long Brady and Brees would just stand there forever waiting for a guy to get open? Look at this...

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 13, 2024 at 11:40 AM ]
I'd say sell out and go for it next season. I don't know the cap situation and how realistic signing free agents will be. The 49ers used to get free agents that hurt other teams. I'm tired of adding to the D -line, but adding Chris Jones (I think he is the main non-Mahomes reason they lost 2 Super Bowls) could be a game changer. Armstead could be a rotational player for his final, I believe, year with the 49ers. Also, stop overpaying for their own free agents.

Are the Bengals contenders? Burrow is often hurt for long parts of seasons. When he is there he is mostly excellent. He is already getting paid huge money.

The Saints are a joke without Brees. Carr gets paid about 40 times what Purdy does and isn't as good. Not sure why you think are contenders every year when they can't make the playoffs in the weakest division. They haven't been to the playoffs the last 3 seasons.

The Bills are borderline contenders at best. Injuries and Allen's turnovers are a major problem.

The Packers will need to pay Love a lot more next year after an excellent half season. We will see if the Packers are better next year (I have my doubts). It is funny to me that people rip on Purdy in his second year in the league, but Love in his 4th year gets a pass.

I'll add another one the Chargers have huge cap issues and nothing to show for it. We will see if Harbaugh can work some magic.
Originally posted by EastBay:
Are the Bengals contenders? Burrow is often hurt for long parts of seasons. When he is there he is mostly excellent. He is already getting paid huge money.

The Saints are a joke without Brees. Carr gets paid about 40 times what Purdy does and isn't as good. Not sure why you think are contenders every year when they can't make the playoffs in the weakest division. They haven't been to the playoffs the last 3 seasons.

The Bills are borderline contenders at best. Injuries and Allen's turnovers are a major problem.

The Packers will need to pay Love a lot more next year after an excellent half season. We will see if the Packers are better next year (I have my doubts). It is funny to me that people rip on Purdy in his second year in the league, but Love in his 4th year gets a pass.

I'll add another one the Chargers have huge cap issues and nothing to show for it. We will see if Harbaugh can work some magic.

I was saying "compare the Saints/Packers with and without Brees/Rodgers" as a way of saying "look at how often they were in the playoffs with them, and how much they're struggling without them "

I agree.

His stats are far, far better than Dilfer, Johnson or Foles. Just no comparison. Not even in the same category. That said he's not Mahomes. Nobody is. Could be like a Brees. Who knows? He hasn't played long enough to really know. You got 1.5 years so far. He's just barely ahead of CJ Stroud in experience. But people talk about him like he's a 10 year veteran. Both fans and Hot Takes shows.
Originally posted by 49erfaninAZ:

It is also sickening to see the total confusion on the right side of our OL.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by 49erfaninAZ:

It is also sickening to see the total confusion on the right side of our OL.

I've always felt that our OL coaching was lacking. I know our coach there has a solid reputation but I never saw the improvement from our guys other than maybe Banks.

Is it a talent issue to you? Or coaching?
It's really tough keeping players now because of the big money being thrown around. Short careers make players quick to jump when someone waves the right money.
Originally posted by EastBay:
I'd say sell out and go for it next season. I don't know the cap situation and how realistic signing free agents will be. The 49ers used to get free agents that hurt other teams. I'm tired of adding to the D -line, but adding Chris Jones (I think he is the main non-Mahomes reason they lost 2 Super Bowls) could be a game changer. Armstead could be a rotational player for his final, I believe, year with the 49ers. Also, stop overpaying for their own free agents.

No chance we sign Jones. Best scenario is him leaving the Chiefs for another AFC contender.
Share 49ersWebzone