Compete in our 2024 NFL Pick ‘em contest →

There are 172 users in the forums

Thinking Positive: How we keep our Super Bowl Window Open Long-term

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We did sign Jones, but his name is Hargrave....
Purdy will keep the window on offense and Bosa Warner Ward will keep it open on D.

The Niners are still the best team in the NFC so making it to the Super Bowl almost every year, It won't be the hardest thing to do. Winning it will be
[ Edited by elguapo on Feb 13, 2024 at 2:55 PM ]
Our window is still open but it is a long way back.

We need luck with injuries and luck with plain old luck.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by elguapo:
Purdy will keep the window on offense and Bosa Warner Ward will keep it open on D.

The Niners are still the best team in the NFC so making it to the Super Bowl almost every year, It won't be the hardest thing to do. Winning it will be

TBPH I don't want more of the same. We all cried after 54 that our quarterback wasn't good enough. The gods gave us Purdy AND the best running back in the league AND the best olineman in the league AND the best receiving corp in the league AND the best fullback in the league.

the end result was the same. All because our dopey coach choked in the biggest f moments just like he did 4 years ago with 7 minutes left in the game. Schrager said it best on NFLN yesterday morning: in another world, the 49ers are the 2 time champs running a dynasty. In this world, they're just afterthoughts.

Awful
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by 49erfaninAZ:
Man it's sickening to see how open Aiyuk is.

It is also sickening to see the total confusion on the right side of our OL.

I've always felt that our OL coaching was lacking. I know our coach there has a solid reputation but I never saw the improvement from our guys other than maybe Banks.

Is it a talent issue to you? Or coaching?

The simple answer is, "a little of each," but that is a cop-out. I think it is more likely 60/40, talent/coaching.

I look at Brendel, for example. According to my eye and PFF ratings, he is the same player now that he was last year. Considering his overall background, I would say he has reached his ceiling and we should not expect much growth. Time for a new player. I don't think better coaching will yield much better results.

Banks, OTOH, has not played as well this year as he did last. He finished the year last season #25, IIRC, compared to this season, rated #60 out of 79. Considering his college pedigree, the arrow points to coaching. Keep him but hire a better OL coach.

Burford is a puzzle. Small school 4th round pick switching from OT to OG. He has shown no progress to my eye. Maybe regressed PP. His gaffe on the final play of OT will be talked about for years. (It cost us the Super Bowl, IMO.) Combo of expecting too much from a mid-round player plus ineffective coaching to bring him up to the necessary grade. The fact we brought in Feliciano and he played very well suggests Burford is not the answer but lack of progress suggests a new coach.

McKivitz was a prayer to solve a futurre cap problem. Failure. If anything, he regressed during the season. He doesn't seem to make big mistakes in assignments. He just isn't good enough to do the job. That is probably all you can expect from a 5th round pick. Better coaching might make him better, however, at this point, it is unlikely the incremental increase would make anyone confuse him with Lane Johnson.

IMO, if coaching is only 40% of the problem, it is still time for a more effective coach.

My .02...
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by EastBay:
I'd say sell out and go for it next season. I don't know the cap situation and how realistic signing free agents will be. The 49ers used to get free agents that hurt other teams. I'm tired of adding to the D -line, but adding Chris Jones (I think he is the main non-Mahomes reason they lost 2 Super Bowls) could be a game changer. Armstead could be a rotational player for his final, I believe, year with the 49ers. Also, stop overpaying for their own free agents.

No chance we sign Jones. Best scenario is him leaving the Chiefs for another AFC contender.

Chiefs have $22m in cap room now with ways to create more. Unless Jones wants to break the bank, he will stay in KC.

To their credit, they drafted a guy they think can replace Jones if he walks. Hyphenated last name. Can't recall how to spell it so I won't.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by EastBay:
I'd say sell out and go for it next season. I don't know the cap situation and how realistic signing free agents will be. The 49ers used to get free agents that hurt other teams. I'm tired of adding to the D -line, but adding Chris Jones (I think he is the main non-Mahomes reason they lost 2 Super Bowls) could be a game changer. Armstead could be a rotational player for his final, I believe, year with the 49ers. Also, stop overpaying for their own free agents.

Hargrove was a Chris Jones last year. Look what Wilks did with him. What do you think he would do with Jones on this roster ? Lol
Chris Jones will stay at Kansas City and torment us next time he plays us as seemingly no one on the coaching staff thinks its important to block Chris jones.
said it best on NFLN yesterday morning: in another world, the 49ers are the 2 time champs running a dynasty. In this world, they're just afterthoughts.

Awful
49ers always the bridesmaid never the bride.
Brock is 24. Once you have franchise quarterback in the NFL every year the window is open. We will ALWAYS have a chance with #13 back there. That's MY belief.

We can't lose it every time we're there. At one time we were undefeated in Super Bowls. We're just going through some tough luck when we've gotten there that's all. It sucks I know. I'm pretty dissapointed. On the other hand the worm WILL TURN once we get there again, and I hope soon. We MUST redeem ourselves. I will NEVER rest until we win #6

We can't lose it every time we're there. At one time we were undefeated in Super Bowls. We're just going through some tough luck when we've gotten there that's all. It sucks I know. I'm pretty dissapointed. On the other hand the worm WILL TURN once we get there again, and I hope soon. We MUST redeem ourselves. I will NEVER rest until we win #6
Originally posted by RonnieLott:
Our window is still open but it is a long way back.

We need luck with injuries and luck with plain old luck.

Iinjuries is always the question. We must develop healthier and nastier backups
I think they need to focus on day 2, if they can trade out of 31 and up from their late 3/4s to end up with four picks between 40-70 and four between 90-134. That should be 3-5 major contributors, while maintaining cap flexibility.

Specifically Offensive Line. yes they can make any Guard that fits in the system work, but they need to find a great Guard that can fit in.
Then find another one, G/C/T. I think they need to improve 2 OL positions.

Then a cover corner, who can alter the route. I do not care about his run D, just not a liability. Maybe two bites at this.

Then a shifty+speedy WR(maybe RB[too]). A guy who is the opposite of their beat you down mentality. Not a deep threat specifically, but raw speed on crossers, jet sweeps, and post/corner routes. And needs to be willing to at least get in the way blocking.

Then a 6'2ish 320ish anchor, that can collapse the pocket. Allowing AA to play DE again in situations.
Then take another bite at a speed rusher.

5th, 6th, and 7th rounders are easy enough to come by with how much talent the niners have.
Thinking positively, SF has cap issues because they have a roster loaded with talent. This is a better problem than not having anybody who's pro bowl caliber. The bad news is the bill is coming due on this roster and we have some players that maybe we'd like to move on from while others who are free agents we want to keep.

if I had my way:
- keep Aiyuk (connection with Purdy)
- keep Chase Young
- trade Deebo
- trade Armstead or Hargrave
- keep Jennings
- Darnold gone

I like Armstead as he's a great space eater in the middle but he's injury prone now whereas Hargrave is healthier. Personally I think it's easier to find a replacement for a DT than a DE. When I saw the film from the SB and how Deebo was just destroyed I think his best is in the past. Also, there were a large number of times where Deebo just quit on routes. Like freakin just stopped. In the Super Bowl! That's not a winner. Problem is, everyone else sees it too.

If we have to trade Aiyuk then so be it. It is what it is. Hopefully we can find some replacements. It will be difficult to keep this run going but ultimately it will come down to how well we can draft and replace talent. The Chiefs are still great because they've been able to find great talent in the draft.

It's odd people are still talking about Brock as a game manager and I think it's time to forget those people. What? Purdy lost against Mahomes in OT in the Super Bowl and therefore he's just another QB? I don't buy it. How many times has Allen lost to Mahomes? Burrow? I would like Purdy to take more shots downfield but that will come with experience. Keep in mind Brock hasn't had a full offseason workout program yet.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Feb 17, 2024 at 4:08 PM ]
I don't think we will ever be that healthy at the end of the year again, that was insane. That said, to keep the window open we need to be smart with who we pay and who we replace next year. I want to keep Aiyuk but it's gonna make Deebo or Kittle trade options. There is no way they're investing 60m on three players who aren't QBs. Best case is we keep Aiyuk and Kittle, hopefully unload Deebo for a 1st if anyone will bite and invest that 1st on an Olineman or a lockdown corner. The chiefs have proven that as long as your back end is elite, your front 7 don't have to be the best. We can have both if we get another stud DB
Share 49ersWebzone