Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dmax:
Getting rid of Kyle and we have a chance

And replace him with whom??
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by 49erfaninAZ:
Man it's sickening to see how open Aiyuk is.

It is also sickening to see the total confusion on the right side of our OL.

I've always felt that our OL coaching was lacking. I know our coach there has a solid reputation but I never saw the improvement from our guys other than maybe Banks.

Is it a talent issue to you? Or coaching?

The simple answer is, "a little of each," but that is a cop-out. I think it is more likely 60/40, talent/coaching.

I look at Brendel, for example. According to my eye and PFF ratings, he is the same player now that he was last year. Considering his overall background, I would say he has reached his ceiling and we should not expect much growth. Time for a new player. I don't think better coaching will yield much better results.

Banks, OTOH, has not played as well this year as he did last. He finished the year last season #25, IIRC, compared to this season, rated #60 out of 79. Considering his college pedigree, the arrow points to coaching. Keep him but hire a better OL coach.

Burford is a puzzle. Small school 4th round pick switching from OT to OG. He has shown no progress to my eye. Maybe regressed PP. His gaffe on the final play of OT will be talked about for years. (It cost us the Super Bowl, IMO.) Combo of expecting too much from a mid-round player plus ineffective coaching to bring him up to the necessary grade. The fact we brought in Feliciano and he played very well suggests Burford is not the answer but lack of progress suggests a new coach.

McKivitz was a prayer to solve a futurre cap problem. Failure. If anything, he regressed during the season. He doesn't seem to make big mistakes in assignments. He just isn't good enough to do the job. That is probably all you can expect from a 5th round pick. Better coaching might make him better, however, at this point, it is unlikely the incremental increase would make anyone confuse him with Lane Johnson.

IMO, if coaching is only 40% of the problem, it is still time for a more effective coach.

My .02...

We need a new o line coach. Who has Forrester developed?
Originally posted by Wrathman:

Whoever our D line coach is !!!!
Originally posted by HONEYBADGER:
Even though the blocking got screwed up Purdy should have hit that pass, dude was open by 5 yards.

Mahomes wouldn't have missed that.

Ridiculous. Jones was in his lap before he even cocked his arm because of the play fake. Nobody would have hit that.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by Wrathman:

Whoever our D line coach is !!!!
Why not? I couldn't fail twice......right?

San Francisco Bridesmaids
If you believe you have your QB, Your window is always going to be open.
Originally posted by JTB1974:
If you believe you have your QB, Your window is always going to be open.

100%, if you have good reason to believe you have your QB. And the Niners do have good reason.

And to go with that, especially if you believe in your team's football guys running things at the very top, Lynch & Shanahan. This team continues to be very well positioned.
The #49ers can get $40,000,000+ salary cap if…

Post June cuts:
A. Armstead
I. Oliver
C. Mckivitz
D. Jackson
D. Gray

Restructures:
Deebo
Kittle

They will be able to extend Aiyuk, sign Jennings and whatever else they want… They also have 11 draft picks, including a 1st.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
The #49ers can get $40,000,000+ salary cap if…

Post June cuts:
A. Armstead
I. Oliver
C. Mckivitz
D. Jackson
D. Gray

Restructures:
Deebo
Kittle

They will be able to extend Aiyuk, sign Jennings and whatever else they want… They also have 11 draft picks, including a 1st.

They wouldn't do Armstead dirty like that. They might ask him to restructure or get traded before that though…

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Guys.. it's a massive understatement to say it's hard to even write this.. because I'm sickened and heartbroken beyond belief. I emotionally invest myself every year 110% -- sometimes I wish I could not.. But I love this team with my heart and soul and it's been that way since I was a child.

This one hurts the most because it felt like our best chance we've had in decades. I barely slept last night and I feel like sh** this morning..

That said.. I can't wallow or it's going to make everything feel so much worse. The only way I'm going to feel any better in the short term is force myself to think as positively as possible so I can reclaim some sense of hope and optimism, and stay worthy of the term "49er faithful".

PRIORITIES IF I'M GM:

1. GET BETTER PROTECTION FOR PURDY
He made some insane plays with no time and/or while running for his life. He shouldn't have to be doing that all game. We had 2-3 potential touchdowns missed because he had no time to throw.

2. UPGRADE OUR DEPTH EVERYWHERE
The drop-off when a guy like Trent, Deebo, Greenlaw, Hufanga, Kittle, etc go out is super noticeable in key moments. While you can't expect to easily replicate them, you can limit the drop-off some. We can do better at corner than Thomas/Oliver. We can do better at linebacker than Burks, DFF, and Winters. We can do better at a lot of areas.

3. DON'T BLOW EVERYTHING UP, STAY OPTIMISTIC BECAUSE:
* We have a star quarterback who should be entering their prime in these next few years
* If we draft well to fortify our secondary, replace our aging IDL, and protect Purdy, we will be a force still on both sides of the ball
* Young guys like Jayir Brown, Jake Moody, Robert Beal, and maybe even Kinlaw if he returns, should be improved next year and offer greater contribution, and Hufanga will return from injury.
* Regardless of roster turnover, this should remain a perennial playoff team, that gives us a chance every year.

I feel this pain, man!

I'll enjoy working with you this off season on our off season team building plans as always.

But what you outlined so well above, are major philosophical changes. I'm skeptical that ShanaLynch will take a 180 turn here.

Is Kyle going to move from 31st in rushing attempts to middle of the pack? History shows he only does that when his teams are trash.

Is Lynch really going to prioritize the OL? Would he even know how? Which players to target in the draft and FA?

Will ShanaLynch move to an OL skillet and coaching philosophy that emphasizes unit pass protection over run blocking?

Will ShanaLynch bring in other pure receivers opposite Aiyuk and a TE that can actually be a receiving threat to lighten the load on our RB's, TE's and FB's being stuck staying in to pass protect?

Defensively, are ShanaLynch going to give up on trying to win Championships through a DL that is neutralized by holding d/t it being a clear passing league?

Will there be a bigger emphasis on the secondary for talent and scheme?

To date, they've built a successful team going against the NFL grain. They've paid big to a ZWR, TE, LB, PK, RB, FB, 3T, 1T, etc. That's not to say they didn't pay the key positions too in LT, QB, ER, C and CB over 8 off seasons (some success and some big failures).

And Purdy is here now. They've now seen 2 Superbowls end with the EXACT same patterns that cost us in the end, with an average QB and an MVP caliber QB.

Will these 2 factors now be enough for ShanaLynch to switch their entire philosophy and team building strategy? Call me skeptical. But hopeful.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 19, 2024 at 6:14 AM ]
Keep getting younger talent, reload on FAs, sign a dcord that can add something on defense, and trust that Kyle continues to learn.
They don't have any young emerging talent anywhere on the roster outside of safety. Who is emerging on the d line or at LB? All the o line depth is terrible. Who do they have at wr? What young CB do we have any faith in? And why hasn't the special teams coach been fired?
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
Kinda feels like as vets age out, we're in the process of moving from a team with a bad QB and great supporting cast, to a team with a great QB and a bad supporting cast.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
They don't have any young emerging talent anywhere on the roster outside of safety. Who is emerging on the d line or at LB? All the o line depth is terrible. Who do they have at wr? What young CB do we have any faith in? And why hasn't the special teams coach been fired?

Chris Connelly came up big in some moments. Bell is a disaster get rid of him.
Share 49ersWebzone