There are 140 users in the forums

49ers DC Nick Sorensen

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I wonder what Sorenson has up his sleeve? Maybe they'll go back to Ryan's scheme? The secondary played well but you can tell the LB and dbs were confused at times with the coverages assignments and that led to a lot of 3rd down conversions. I hope him and Staley shore that up plus play the run better.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Yeah, some C3 with long CB's outside and 1 really rangy FS. That's how I read into that as well.

I don't think that's their intention. It seems more that they're trying to add some of the elements that KC and Baltimore did to counter motions and reduced splits(aka Shanny offenses) with blitzes, cover 0 and simulated pressures. I think they want a safety that can play some man in those situations, and that's not really Brown or Hufanga.

I do expect to see more 5-man fronts next season although not necessarily 5 DL like Wilks tried to do. Both Saleh and DeMeco sprinkled in some bear fronts when necessary before they left where they'd put the SLB or the WLB on the line.

Ahhh, maybe that's what it is. Thanks!

I think the Julian Blackmon interest lends credence to the theory I mentioned. He's a former corner and has ability to man up in certain situations. I went back and looked at his draft profile:

While Blackmon displayed some inconsistencies in recognition and ball tracking in his first season at safety, the move clearly gives him his best chance to become a pro. The former cornerback has soft hands and carryover route-anticipation that should allow him to match against tight ends as a pro. He can play split safety, big nickel or help support the run as a down safety. His field recognition and angles to the football are still behind from his new position, but he should keep getting better. His December knee injury will push him down the draft board, but he has the traits and talent to make it in the league.
[ Edited by Heroism on Mar 22, 2024 at 7:46 PM ]
Yeah, some C3 with long CB's outside and 1 really rangy FS. That's how I read into that as well.

I don't think that's their intention. It seems more that they're trying to add some of the elements that KC and Baltimore did to counter motions and reduced splits(aka Shanny offenses) with blitzes, cover 0 and simulated pressures. I think they want a safety that can play some man in those situations, and that's not really Brown or Hufanga.

I do expect to see more 5-man fronts next season although not necessarily 5 DL like Wilks tried to do. Both Saleh and DeMeco sprinkled in some bear fronts when necessary before they left where they'd put the SLB or the WLB on the line.

Ahhh, maybe that's what it is. Thanks!

I think the Julian Blackmon interest lends credence to the theory I mentioned. He's a former corner and has ability to man up in certain situations. I went back and looked at his draft profile:

While Blackmon displayed some inconsistencies in recognition and ball tracking in his first season at safety, the move clearly gives him his best chance to become a pro. The former cornerback has soft hands and carryover route-anticipation that should allow him to match against tight ends as a pro. He can play split safety, big nickel or help support the run as a down safety. His field recognition and angles to the football are still behind from his new position, but he should keep getting better. His December knee injury will push him down the draft board, but he has the traits and talent to make it in the league.

That's a quality find. I can see what you mean now. And it makes sense.
"I just love where he's at from a football mind," Shanahan said of Sorensen. "Our players love him. He's been talking to our team every Thursday, doing the ball [emphasis] meetings. Our players are used to him, and it's a great opportunity for him. We're happy to put him in this position."

Sorensen previously has been a special teams coordinator in Jacksonville and a defensive backs coach in Seattle. He also played defensive back in the NFL for 10 years, spending time with the Dolphins, Rams, Jaguars and Browns.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/kyle-shanahan-was-sold-on-nick-sorensen-as-defensive-coordinator-from-the-start

I liked having read (reminded) about that again.

After learning under Ryans/Wilks and being around the league for many years as player/staff, I can't help but think the D could be stingy and real scary good again. He has an impressive resume.
  • thl408
Originally posted by pillageDatazz:
"I just love where he's at from a football mind," Shanahan said of Sorensen. "Our players love him. He's been talking to our team every Thursday, doing the ball [emphasis] meetings. Our players are used to him, and it's a great opportunity for him. We're happy to put him in this position."

Sorensen previously has been a special teams coordinator in Jacksonville and a defensive backs coach in Seattle. He also played defensive back in the NFL for 10 years, spending time with the Dolphins, Rams, Jaguars and Browns.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/kyle-shanahan-was-sold-on-nick-sorensen-as-defensive-coordinator-from-the-start

After learning under Ryans/Wilks and being around the league for many years as player/staff, I can't help but think the D could be stingy and real scary good again. He has an impressive resume.

Since Sorenson is from a defensiveback background I hope that side of the ball continues to improve. Wilks (DB background) seemed to have a disconnect with the LBs and it showed in the run game, outside of its personnel issues (lack of a stout run stuffing DT). This could be where Staley comes in (Fangio employed Staley as LB coach). There will most likely be growing pains as Sorenson takes on playcalling duties. Thus far, Kyle has gotten it right with his two previous rookie DCs.
There's a profile of him on the Athletic too - I knew nothing about him, but am cautiously optimistic now.

Pete Carroll predicted he would be a DC one day back when he worked for him in Seattle. Not a bad endorsement.
Originally posted by Digger:
There's a profile of him on the Athletic too - I knew nothing about him, but am cautiously optimistic now.

Pete Carroll predicted he would be a DC one day back when he worked for him in Seattle. Not a bad endorsement.

Originally posted by thl408:
Since Sorenson is from a defensive back background I hope that side of the ball continues to improve. Wilks (DB background) seemed to have a disconnect with the LBs and it showed in the run game, outside of its personnel issues (lack of a stout run stuffing DT). This could be where Staley comes in (Fangio employed Staley as LB coach). There will most likely be growing pains as Sorenson takes on playcalling duties. Thus far, Kyle has gotten it right with his two previous rookie DCs.

Man I can't wait to see how it all works out on the field, feeling kinda stoked about it

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39901788/49ers-defense-new-coaches-nick-sorensen-brandon-staley

True. Carrol is a DB guy too. Seattle always has a solid DBs. Hopefully he absorbed all that knowledge. It's important in this passing league the dbs are good and work together.
  • thl408

Since Sorenson is from a defensive back background I hope that side of the ball continues to improve. Wilks (DB background) seemed to have a disconnect with the LBs and it showed in the run game, outside of its personnel issues (lack of a stout run stuffing DT). This could be where Staley comes in (Fangio employed Staley as LB coach). There will most likely be growing pains as Sorenson takes on playcalling duties. Thus far, Kyle has gotten it right with his two previous rookie DCs.

Man I can't wait to see how it all works out on the field, feeling kinda stoked about it

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39901788/49ers-defense-new-coaches-nick-sorensen-brandon-staley

It's a bit of an experiment with Sorensen being a rookie DC and Brandon Staley bringing in new concepts that has not been in the defensive meeting rooms the past few seasons. From a coverage standpoint, it's similar, but from a defensive front standpoint, very different. How does it all mesh? What part of the defense is Lynch talking about when he refers to 'continue to add layers'? Outside of Jay'ir Brown, this is a fairly veteran defense. They should be able to handle a lot conceptually, but at some point, adding many layers can cross over to being overly complicated.

"Brandon is a really intelligent guy," Lynch said. "I think Brandon gives us an ability to just continue to add layers to who we are and what we do without compromising the integrity of who we are."

• thl408
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Not as catchy, but whatever works.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Since Sorenson is from a defensiveback background I hope that side of the ball continues to improve. Wilks (DB background) seemed to have a disconnect with the LBs and it showed in the run game, outside of its personnel issues (lack of a stout run stuffing DT). This could be where Staley comes in (Fangio employed Staley as LB coach). There will most likely be growing pains as Sorenson takes on playcalling duties. Thus far, Kyle has gotten it right with his two previous rookie DCs.

Its going to be an interesting defense for sure. As others have mentioned, I'm also agreeing that Kyle wants to do something that Spagnuolo and Balrimore do in their defenses. The Pete Carroll cover 3 pattern matching zone blitz defense isn't easy to teach if you don't have a lot of experience in it. As you or somebody else said, you have to integrate the DB and linebacker play, almost like a 4-1-6 nickel/dime defense with run blitzing and simulated pressures to screw up the run blocking on run downs.
[ Edited by Giedi on May 11, 2024 at 5:19 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone