There are 189 users in the forums

49ers sign QB Josh Dobbs

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by maximusdecimus:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Darnold has this weird combination of incredible physical talent with some of the worst pocket presence ever. Lol

As someone who saw every Vikings game last year because my girl is from MN and a huge Vikings fan, I would have rather kept Darnold. Dobbs couldn't even grasp the Vikings offense when the coaches started putting more on his plate and lost favor there very quick. If purdy goes down and we have to rely on Dobbs, we'll, like I said, I'd have rather kept Darnold.

I dont think anyone prefers Dobbs to Darnold straight up. Its about value and money. The Vikings were rightfully wishing to dish out some cash because they know Darnold is going to be starting some games for them. Even if they move up and get a JJ Mac, its quite likely Darnold gets 6 or 8 starts. He has value to them.

You have to ask yourself, what is the role of our backup QB? What are the expectations? In terms of production, we need them to be capable of coming in for a 4 week period and playing .500 football in case Purdy picks up an injury. Anything beyond that is overkill. If Purdy tears his ACL, it doesnt matter if you have Darnold or Dobbs, the season is done. Hopefully the backup never see the field except in a blowout, and then their value is in the week to week prep. And we know Dobbs in a smart dude. Hes been in a few offenses now. Might have some different takes. Going to be a good guy for Purdy to be around and not be a distraction.

Ultimately Darnold got 10 mil. We chose to spend 10(ish) mil on Floyd who we hope plays a ton of snaps. Do you want a 10mil backup QB and a 2mil starting DE, or a 2 mil backup QB and a 10 mil starting DE?
I like Dobbs
Dobbs is basically who we all hoped Trey Lance would be
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:

Uhh... no?
Originally posted by scooterhd:
Originally posted by maximusdecimus:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Darnold has this weird combination of incredible physical talent with some of the worst pocket presence ever. Lol

As someone who saw every Vikings game last year because my girl is from MN and a huge Vikings fan, I would have rather kept Darnold. Dobbs couldn't even grasp the Vikings offense when the coaches started putting more on his plate and lost favor there very quick. If purdy goes down and we have to rely on Dobbs, we'll, like I said, I'd have rather kept Darnold.

I dont think anyone prefers Dobbs to Darnold straight up. Its about value and money. The Vikings were rightfully wishing to dish out some cash because they know Darnold is going to be starting some games for them. Even if they move up and get a JJ Mac, its quite likely Darnold gets 6 or 8 starts. He has value to them.

You have to ask yourself, what is the role of our backup QB? What are the expectations? In terms of production, we need them to be capable of coming in for a 4 week period and playing .500 football in case Purdy picks up an injury. Anything beyond that is overkill. If Purdy tears his ACL, it doesnt matter if you have Darnold or Dobbs, the season is done. Hopefully the backup never see the field except in a blowout, and then their value is in the week to week prep. And we know Dobbs in a smart dude. Hes been in a few offenses now. Might have some different takes. Going to be a good guy for Purdy to be around and not be a distraction.

Ultimately Darnold got 10 mil. We chose to spend 10(ish) mil on Floyd who we hope plays a ton of snaps. Do you want a 10mil backup QB and a 2mil starting DE, or a 2 mil backup QB and a 10 mil starting DE?

This take is right on. Balancing capital and expectations, the money is certainly better spent on Floyd and revamping the Dline. Dobbs seems like he will be a solid contributor, which is all one can ask.
Originally posted by the_dynasty:

Uhh... no?

at a floor level minimum
  • thl408
Originally posted by 49erFaithfullest:

Uhh... no?

at a floor level minimum

I think in two years Trey will look a lot like Dobbs, based on the rate he's balding.
Originally posted by thl408:

Uhh... no?

at a floor level minimum

I think in two years Trey will look a lot like Dobbs, based on the rate he's balding.

Lol poor Lance
Originally posted by thl408:

Uhh... no?

at a floor level minimum

lol, I like this post

staggering loss of draft capital and Lance isn't even as good as a guy we got for free, no picks required
that shows the folly of taking the project QB as well as I can imagine
now if you want a QB, just stand pat at 12 and see what happens, would have done better than Lance at less cost, the top of the draft is warped, and by that I mean the top 3 picks cost more than they are worth. Moving up 9 spots isn't worth years of ones.
Terms, Dobbs got a 1yr $2.25 million fully guaranteed deal, $1.75m base & $750k signing bonus.
Dobbs is a pretty good backup. He runs around fast and throws accurately.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Dobbs is a pretty good backup. He runs around fast and throws accurately.

This
It's better to bring in that 3rd veteran QB when you know you're going skinny on the unit pass protection.
Share 49ersWebzone