There are 148 users in the forums

49ers sign QB Josh Dobbs

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Leathaface:
I'm not sure you understand. The point I'm making is that if you want to base your opinion on the transactions and decisions of professional teams then you should also go back and see how other professional teams view said player's value. Is that easy enough for you now?

Oh I understand perfectly fine. You're valuing the judgement* of the Jets and Panthers over the 49ers and Vikings and the free agent market in general.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Mar 18, 2024 at 8:27 PM ]
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Oh I understand perfectly fine. You're valuing the judgement* of the Jets and Panthers over the 49ers and Vikings and the free agent market in general.

Have you considered that the 49ers decided Sam Darnold really wasn't that good and not worth the $ he was going to inevitably receive on the open market? They had a full year to evaluate him and saw him in game action as well. They probably felt (and rightfully so) that they could get similar to potentially better production from Dobbs (or someone similar) for a fraction of the cost. This isn't a new idea. Teams successfully move from player to player and find cheaper options that provide similar production all the time.

There is a such thing as a good contract and a bad contract which is why I don't put too much stock in what a player gets in FA in determining how "valuable" they are. Chase Young got 1y 13M. Kinlaw got 1y 7.5M. Those guys got replaced by cheaper options at DE/DT (Floyd, Collins, Elliot) who are all arguably better players.
Have you considered that the 49ers decided Sam Darnold really wasn't that good and not worth the $ he was going to inevitably receive on the open market? They had a full year to evaluate him and saw him in game action as well. They probably felt (and rightfully so) that they could get similar to potentially better production from Dobbs (or someone similar) for a fraction of the cost. This isn't a new idea. Teams successfully move from player to player and find cheaper options that provide similar production all the time.

There is a such thing as a good contract and a bad contract which is why I don't put too much stock in what a player gets in FA in determining how "valuable" they are. Chase Young got 1y 13M. Kinlaw got 1y 7.5M. Those guys got replaced by cheaper options at DE/DT (Floyd, Collins, Elliot) who are all arguably better players.

I'm aware of the 49ers cap and QB situation so I didn't consider that possibility. 10 million is simply too much for us to spend on a backup.

Try this exercise from the Vikings perspective, who just had Dobbs and opted for Darnold with no starting quality QB on the roster. Not to mention the 30 other teams, many of which are looking for quality depth at the position.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
It's a great signing for a guy who is at least as good as Sam Darnold.

In no way/shape or form is he as good as Darnold. If he was, the Vikings wouldn't be giving Darnold $10 million.

Right because the salary a team gives a player is indicative of how good they are .

Darnold is a massive TO machine that looked like absolute dogs**t against the backup Rams.

You can argue that Dobbs in 2023 had more regular season success than Darnold ever has in any year.

Don't forget that Dobbs had zero prep time or TC with the Cardinals or the Vikings.
You don't know what you're talking about

I'm aware of the 49ers cap and QB situation so I didn't consider that possibility. 10 million is simply too much for us to spend on a backup.

Try this exercise from the Vikings perspective, who just had Dobbs and opted for Darnold with no starting quality QB on the roster. Not to mention the 30 other teams, many of which are looking for quality depth at the position.

QBs with starting experience that can also play at a decent level don't get signed for 2mil. That's 3rd string QB money there. This contract isn't indicative on the FA QB market when it comes to backs. Backup QBs with starting experience are getting 4-8-10 mil a year.
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
QBs with starting experience that can also play at a decent level don't get signed for 2mil. That's 3rd string QB money there. This contract isn't indicative on the FA QB market when it comes to backs. Backup QBs with starting experience are getting 4-8-10 mil a year.

Yup. Low end QB2 at best. KS has consistently shown he can maximize a QB's value so I'm hopeful we'll get the best version of him… and I agree with the opinion that he's a high character guy and a positive add to the room from that perspective.
Originally posted by Dirtydonedirtcheap69:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
It's a great signing for a guy who is at least as good as Sam Darnold.

In no way/shape or form is he as good as Darnold. If he was, the Vikings wouldn't be giving Darnold $10 million.

Right because the salary a team gives a player is indicative of how good they are .

Darnold is a massive TO machine that looked like absolute dogs**t against the backup Rams.

You can argue that Dobbs in 2023 had more regular season success than Darnold ever has in any year.

Don't forget that Dobbs had zero prep time or TC with the Cardinals or the Vikings.
You don't know what you're talking about

Thanks for the quality post dirtcheap69. I'm sure your opinion is worth a lot.
[ Edited by Leathaface on Mar 18, 2024 at 10:08 PM ]

Yup. Low end QB2 at best. KS has consistently shown he can maximize a QB's value so I'm hopeful we'll get the best version of him… and I agree with the opinion that he's a high character guy and a positive add to the room from that perspective.

The amount of $ a guy gets in FA is almost irrelevant to their objective value. Moreover each team has a different set of strengths and weaknesses that can make one player more or less valuable to them. If the 49ers felt like Dobbs was a downgrade from Darnold they wouldn't have signed him. He's had a very similar level of success to Darnold in his career and he comes with a much cheaper price tag because he isn't as young and he wasn't drafted #3 overall. With Darnold the idea has always been "what he could be" not "what he is."
Dude could scramble, had some moments here n there and definitely has a firm grip when mastering that clipboard

The amount of $ a guy gets in FA is almost irrelevant to their objective value. Moreover each team has a different set of strengths and weaknesses that can make one player more or less valuable to them. If the 49ers felt like Dobbs was a downgrade from Darnold they wouldn't have signed him. He's had a very similar level of success to Darnold in his career and he comes with a much cheaper price tag because he isn't as young and he wasn't drafted #3 overall. With Darnold the idea has always been "what he could be" not "what he is."

Ya Darnold still has the top QB overall drafted "what if" to him. He's also a got a good attitude. Plenty of starting experience, still young.

I still think he's gonna be a good started somewhere. The arm is there, athletic ability, good attitude. If he can put it all together he can be really solid. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets added to the list of late bloomer QBs .
[ Edited by GoreGoreGore on Mar 18, 2024 at 11:08 PM ]

Not a starter, but at least our qb room got smarter. Won't be surprised if cut, but I favor this over any zach Wilson rumors.
I don't mind this Dobbs pick up...I kinda like it actually.

Dude reminds me of an NBA guy with terrible shot selection....

He can do some things well,but thinks he can pull off stuff he can't actually do.

If the 49ers feed him a diet of what he does well, I bet they can get starter lvl play out of him for at least a few games
He is smart enough to manage the game. Just got to train him to do that instead of playing hero ball
Don't see anything wrong with this
Great value signing that showed good things in his playing time. Next draft Devin Leary to win the 3rd string spot like Brock did
Share 49ersWebzone