SWB Ricky Pearsall-WR-Florida; 31st Pick 2024 Draft - NO politics

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Hopper:
cOriginally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
An o lineman would have been better

Like who?

JPJ, Frazier, Rosengarten, Kingsley, Paul, Fisher etc.

I get that they would have been considered reaches, but do you think you or I would give a s**t right now if they were starting over Brendal or McK etc? Hell no.

Also to be clear I like Ricky and it's not his fault he got shot. I think he will eventually be a good player. In fact I think his play style and twitchiness is perfect for this offense and Purdy, but it wont matter if he has not time to get him the ball and we have 3 WR I don't see him supplanting anytime soon so it just makes this pick seem dumb to me given the teams SB aspirations.

I wanted a JPJ selection so badly.

Same here. I know he was hurt during pre-season, but he looked very good last week. Nasty cat too.

Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Kingsley has been terrible so yes you would give a sh*t. Rosengarten has also been up and down.

They don't need to draft an OL just to draft one. They need to draft the right guys.

I was for JPJ or Frazier, and in my defense I was vocal about going for a center in the first. Rosengarten has been improving each week imo and if they did draft him or Kingsley we would have all said we get it.

Kingsley in the 2nd would have been fine for me as well btw. Obviously every pick won't pan out, just look at our recent drafts, but they still largely ignored the biggest issue from last two seasons. Thank god Puni is a massive hit.

they could have had Kinsley in the 2nd and said no. They more than likely could have had Rosegarden as well with the smallest trade up in the 2nd. He's been far from amazing and not much better than Colton so far.

JPJ has been hurt & not good this yr, Kinsley was benched, Paul when he's played has been bad, Fisher even worse.

Frazier is the only dude that's looked like a serviceable starter and that's more as a run-blocker than pass protector.

assuming any of those dudes would be massive improvements is a stretch. I'm all for going OL and getting some guys, don't reach just because.

look I wasn't team Ricky. I get it. I wanted OL. Overall assuming anything with these dudes after 4 weeks into their rookie season is pointless. No one has shown they're really a much better pick than the other….

I think you actually agree with me, but don't want to just flat out say they were wiser to take a chance on a top o-line prospect in the first. You know I wanted JPJ or Frazier there. I felt Kingsley and Rosengarten were definitely fair game in round 2. With Ricky we wont really know until next year if that.

I get the balance of the SB roster run vs future sustainability, but I cant justify taking a WR who probably wasn't/isn't going to contribute much even if healthy given our current roster and knowing how suspect the offensive line was in the playoffs. Now plug in JPJ or Frazier vs Brendal (next to Puni mind you) And all Kyle has to do is park Kittle next to McKs**ts lol

Originally posted by DaleGribble:
Frazier and Powers Johnson were both considered day 1 starters.

Yes, they were both considered starters and likely to be pro bowl caliber centers along with Barton. It just made so much sense to me.

Like who?

I get that they would have been considered reaches, but do you think you or I would give a s**t right now if they were starting over Brendal or McK etc? Hell no.

Also to be clear I like Ricky and it's not his fault he got shot. I think he will eventually be a good player. In fact I think his play style and twitchiness is perfect for this offense and Purdy, but it wont matter if he has not time to get him the ball and we have 3 WR I don't see him supplanting anytime soon so it just makes this pick seem dumb to me given the teams SB aspirations.

Same here. I know he was hurt during pre-season, but he looked very good last week. Nasty cat too.

Kingsley has been terrible so yes you would give a sh*t. Rosengarten has also been up and down.

They don't need to draft an OL just to draft one. They need to draft the right guys.

I was for JPJ or Frazier, and in my defense I was vocal about going for a center in the first. Rosengarten has been improving each week imo and if they did draft him or Kingsley we would have all said we get it.

Kingsley in the 2nd would have been fine for me as well btw. Obviously every pick won't pan out, just look at our recent drafts, but they still largely ignored the biggest issue from last two seasons. Thank god Puni is a massive hit.

they could have had Kinsley in the 2nd and said no. They more than likely could have had Rosegarden as well with the smallest trade up in the 2nd. He's been far from amazing and not much better than Colton so far.

JPJ has been hurt & not good this yr, Kinsley was benched, Paul when he's played has been bad, Fisher even worse.

Frazier is the only dude that's looked like a serviceable starter and that's more as a run-blocker than pass protector.

assuming any of those dudes would be massive improvements is a stretch. I'm all for going OL and getting some guys, don't reach just because.

look I wasn't team Ricky. I get it. I wanted OL. Overall assuming anything with these dudes after 4 weeks into their rookie season is pointless. No one has shown they're really a much better pick than the other….

I think you actually agree with me, but don't want to just flat out say they were wiser to take a chance on a top o-line prospect in the first. You know I wanted JPJ or Frazier there. I felt Kingsley and Rosengarten were definitely fair game in round 2. With Ricky we wont really know until next year if that.

I get the balance of the SB roster run vs future sustainability, but I cant justify taking a WR who probably wasn't/isn't going to contribute much even if healthy given our current roster and knowing how suspect the offensive line was in the playoffs. Now plug in JPJ or Frazier vs Brendal (next to Puni mind you) And all Kyle has to do is park Kittle next to McKs**ts lol

Yes, they were both considered starters and likely to be pro bowl caliber centers along with Barton. It just made so much sense to me.

Frazier was a perfect fit bc he is also ideal in our scheme

I think the 49ers don't consider OC worth investing a top draft pick in and I hate it...they keep trying to add interior OL by sifting through the leftovers every year

With the C doing all the line calls I don't know any of those guys would be plug and play with the 9ers.

Erik McCoy in the offseason should be their target.

Secondary has been the biggest issue for the entire tenure of Shanahana and Lynch. That's the position that is killing the team right now more than any other. When the highest pick invested ever was 64 this year you know it's not valued.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Oct 3, 2024 at 12:29 PM ]
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by SFrush:

Powers-Johnson has looked really good.
So many think they should have taken an O lineman but who? The ones that were likely starters were off the board.

Maybe not in Kyle's scheme of zone blocking. Not every lineman can play that style.

Like who?

Same here that's why I was almost positive it wouldn't happen.

So many think they should have taken an O lineman but who? The ones that were likely starters were off the board.

Maybe not in Kyle's scheme of zone blocking. Not every lineman can play that style.
Frazier was absolutely a scheme fit.

Maybe he would have been great but he lasted until the 19th pick in round 2. Do you know if they would have taken him had he fallen to them in round 2. They obviously thought a WR in the first was a bigger need with the possibility of Aiyuk or Deebo being traded in 2025. Maybe they were wrong but it doesn't make any sense to keep whining about it.

Maybe he would have been great but he lasted until the 19th pick in round 2. Do you know if they would have taken him had he fallen to them in round 2. They obviously thought a WR in the first was a bigger need with the possibility of Aiyuk or Deebo being traded in 2025. Maybe they were wrong but it doesn't make any sense to keep whining about it.

I loved those guys too, but had we taken one then, would we have taken Puni at all?

With the C doing all the line calls I don't know any of those guys would be plug and play with the 9ers.

Erik McCoy in the offseason should be their target.

Secondary has been the biggest issue for the entire tenure of Shanahana and Lynch. That's the position that is killing the team right now more than any other. When the highest pick invested ever was 64 this year you know it's not valued.

Good point about Kyle usually not starting rookies often. Brendel still makes mistakes from what i read. I would rather have had the rookie with the higher ceiling learning on the job.

I don't disagree about secondary, but I would argue o-line is more important. The moment we discovered Purdy I wanted to improve the line. I see it as protecting the most important and hard to find investment in Purdy.

Another thought while you bought it to my mind, if we had gone secondary in the first and the player was contributing .... still makes more sense than a WR there.
Originally posted by Murphys1:
I loved those guys too, but had we taken one then, would we have taken Puni at all?
probably not.. too much hindsight going on

looking forward to seeing this guy hopefully inject some life into the team. Seems like he's got some swagger and he's a fresh take for this team, might be able to execute in the red zone.
Originally posted by BP13:
looking forward to seeing this guy hopefully inject some life into the team. Seems like he's got some swagger and he's a fresh take for this team, might be able to execute in the red zone.

Would be wild if he isn't used because you know Kyle .. .
Saves us Ricky lol
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

This. Wouldn't hold my breath at this point. Only WR injuries would force his hand on this.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Is that wild or on-brand?
Share 49ersWebzone