There are 135 users in the forums

SWB Ricky Pearsall-WR-Florida; 31st Pick 2024 Draft - NO politics

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Man.. I don't hate Pearsall by any means, but I still can't get over passing on Frazier and JPJ there. Receiver was the absolute last position we needed. Imagine how nice it would be to have our C of the future and an easy replacement for Brendel who struggles with getting blown up on a wkly basis and/or killing a drive with a bad penalty.

I did give Ricky the gold helmet grade and knew Kyle would love him, but never thought he would go this high. Graded him a top 64 talent. I figured we would target him in round two.

All I can say is I hope it somehow ultimately works out for us..

probably already has worked out..... If Pearsall is a top 64 player in that draft.

We all know Pearsall was annual Deebo is hurt, and BA might hold out insurance. That was the smart pick...if....Pearsall is a top 64 talent.

Grabbing Green, and Puni in round 2 and 3...is probably better then C, Pearsall, and some other CB in 3...

So if... Pearsall is worth a 1 or 2....it is hard to argue Pearsall, Green and Puni was a terrible alternative to center, Pearsall and some other CB 1, 2 and 3.

Even if somehow Pearsall slipped to the 3rd round...if the dude is a top 64 guy...a center, Green and Pearsall is probably roughly equal to Pearsall, Green and Puni.

Fair point, I'm just saying we might've gotten even more collective value with Frazier + Green + Puni but that still remains to be seen. We knew Burford needed to be replaced, but I was also hoping we would prep for Brendel's decline and Banks potential departure.
Man.. I don't hate Pearsall by any means, but I still can't get over passing on Frazier and JPJ there. Receiver was the absolute last position we needed. Imagine how nice it would be to have our C of the future and an easy replacement for Brendel who struggles with getting blown up on a wkly basis and/or killing a drive with a bad penalty.

I did give Ricky the gold helmet grade and knew Kyle would love him, but never thought he would go this high. Graded him a top 64 talent. I figured we would target him in round two.

All I can say is I hope it somehow ultimately works out for us..

probably already has worked out..... If Pearsall is a top 64 player in that draft.

We all know Pearsall was annual Deebo is hurt, and BA might hold out insurance. That was the smart pick...if....Pearsall is a top 64 talent.

Grabbing Green, and Puni in round 2 and 3...is probably better then C, Pearsall, and some other CB in 3...

So if... Pearsall is worth a 1 or 2....it is hard to argue Pearsall, Green and Puni was a terrible alternative to center, Pearsall and some other CB 1, 2 and 3.

Even if somehow Pearsall slipped to the 3rd round...if the dude is a top 64 guy...a center, Green and Pearsall is probably roughly equal to Pearsall, Green and Puni.

Fair point, I'm just saying we might've gotten even more collective value with Frazier + Green + Puni but that still remains to be seen. We knew Burford needed to be replaced, but I was also hoping we would prep for Brendel's decline and Banks potential departure.

gotcha.....

I don't know amigo...for decades the common wisdom was you did not take guards and centers in the first round....then it started to change as guards started to get draft more often in the first.

I saw a study done on Centers taken in the first round that looked at the year 2000 or so onwards....that painted a really clear picture when it comes to centers.

If you think a guy is a 1st round talent at the center spot....it is as close to a sure thing as you get in the draft. I forget the numbers, but it was something like 98% that guy is going to 160-180 games ( I forget the exact number...but remember thinking 10 years). There was one guy that only hit like 140 games due to injury... ALL of them signed at least a second contract, and they accounted for 70-ish% of the pro-bowl roster spots at center.

So it is hard to argue the logic AGAINST a late first round center....the bust rate might be zero at this point since there has only been like 10-15 dudes taken in the first round.....

only Pearsall can make him being drafted in the first round not a regret...so hard to get super upset about a dude who is still a mystery, but you would think a team that takes kickers and punters would not have a reason to draft a center when it seems incredibly safe (from a draft bust point of view) to take one in the first....heck the dude even touches the ball :OP

I am still extremely high on Nugent and hope he is the answer...anyway.....let's hope Pearsall is as good as we all wish he can be, but the way things ended up we got 3 guys at WR we really do not want to take off the field as it is...
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by zeppfan1:
Originally posted by BP13:
looking forward to seeing this guy hopefully inject some life into the team. Seems like he's got some swagger and he's a fresh take for this team, might be able to execute in the red zone.

Would be wild if he isn't used because you know Kyle .. .
Is that wild or on-brand?

Completely the latter It's wild because I thought the Pearsall, Cowing, Puni, and Guerendo picks were about evolving the offense, getting more man beating guys, and countering the way defenses were defending us.

I highly suspect, that most teams do not have super deep plans to "evolve" the offense year 1 of a rookie class....when they are talking about what AT BEST would be the 4th and 5th string WRs, and the 4th string RB

We have nothing going on in the redzone. It's clear we can still move the ball and get yardage. This season looks totally different if just half our field goals are touchdowns. We don't need these guys to be our top options right now. But definitely need guys that can get open and loosen up what's happening when we are in scoring position.

what IRKS me in all of this....

We went full contingency plan in all of this....we said..ok...we draft these TEs last year, we draft WRs, we draft RBs....good deal...we stacked depth at needed positions because we know our starters are not always 16 games a year kind of dudes....

and it all fails.... starters go down....

Purdy carried the offense throwing to the 3rd string WR, a TE that wandered in off the street and a RB we found in a box of Cracker-Jax

Ok...I better just stop....I am about start ranting again.... I am over the chase the dudes who touch the ball stuff. We got a QB that fixes the need for top flight talent at every skill position....they need to protect this QB like the season hangs in the balance. If he goes down...again.... we got issues.

We went full contingency plan in all of this....we said..ok...we draft these TEs last year, we draft WRs, we draft RBs....good deal...we stacked depth at needed positions because we know our starters are not always 16 games a year kind of dudes....

Purdy carried the offense throwing to the 3rd string WR, a TE that wandered in off the street and a RB we found in a box of Cracker-Jax

Ok...I better just stop....I am about start ranting again.... I am over the chase the dudes who touch the ball stuff. We got a QB that fixes the need for top flight talent at every skill position....they need to protect this QB like the season hangs in the balance. If he goes down...again.... we got issues.

Totally agree. Id build it from the inside out as well. We can get elite from LG-C-RG in a hurry in one draft. We'd still have Trent so that's basically an elite OL in one draft. You can get competition for McKivitz and even if he were to win, you could work around him at RT. We are so close but so far because of mindset/priority.

Totally agree. Id build it from the inside out as well. We can get elite from LG-C-RG in a hurry in one draft. We'd still have Trent so that's basically an elite OL in one draft. You can get competition for McKivitz and even if he were to win, you could work around him at RT. We are so close but so far because of mindset/priority.

We missed that boat the last draft.
Look, dudes, I hear you, but take your grievances about the pick elsewhere. What I want to know is Slick Rick a go or no?
[ Edited by fropwns on Oct 14, 2024 at 12:06 PM ]

If slick Rick turns out to be a good WR, who cares. Draft good players not just positional needs.

I mean they also needed CB/RG and took that in the next two rds…overall I'd say we got a pretty good rookie draft class, guys making plays on a Super Bowl roster. That's a positive
We got a stud rookie RG, both our rookie DBs got INTs and our rookie RB ended the game last week…that's good, not bad last I checked
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:

i wonder what this dude's role is gonna be

special teams? lol
[ Edited by D0PEMAN on Oct 14, 2024 at 1:51 PM ]
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:

special teams? lol

I would imagine he's going to be on a snap count.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

special teams? lol

We only need him on 3rd and short and in the red zone. Just get open vs. man coverage.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

special teams? lol

I would imagine he's going to be on a snap count.

the fan in me is hoping kyle will use him as a secret weapon to unleash on the chiefs

the realist in me believes he's just a breather dude for when deebo is tired
Share 49ersWebzone