There are 253 users in the forums

SWB Ricky Pearsall-WR-Florida; 31st Pick 2024 Draft - NO politics

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I don't know if he was their first choice. I wonder if they would have takenan O lineman or CB if one of the better ones had slipped back to them. The best tackles were off the board and we saw a run on CBs in the few rounds just ahead of the 49ers. I thought something might have been going on when they took nearly the entire time. Maybe a trade. Maybe it was a discussion on whether to go with Pearsall or Legette.

In the end the took Pearsall who they must feel fits their system better. He seems more versatile and has great hands. Some think they wanted Worthy but he's smaller and not as versatile. He fits the Chiefs who have a QB with a stronger arm and a better ability to roll out and keep the play alive. Those are traits that make a speedy receiver more effective. Pearsall may well have had a 2nd round grade by many teams but would he still be around when the Niners pick with 32 picks ahead of them? Doubtful. Kool Ade has a cool name but I didn't see a lot of boards that had him rated in the 1st round. The remaining tackles and guards were borderline 1st/2nd rounders.

There's still the possibility that Aiyuk or Deebo gets traded today. They needed a WR no matter what. We know Deebo is always good for at least 2 or 3 missed games each year because of injuries. They had absolutely nothing after the 2 starters and Jennings who isn't a full time starter. He may leave next year anyway. Before ripping this pick I want to see him play. Maybe he turns into a player like Puka. They have several more picks and those later picks often end up better than the 1st rounders.
Three points of data that excite me:

CJ Stroud seemed kinda devastated we picked Pearsall. Was THE guy he wanted drafted.

Bill Belichick predicted the pick. BB knows this kid and Kyle are a match made in heaven.

Brandon Aiyuk called this pick fire. BA played with him and knows WR skills.
Originally posted by Chance:

CJ Stroud seemed kinda devastated we picked Pearsall. Was THE guy he wanted drafted.

Bill Belichick predicted the pick. BB knows this kid and Kyle are a match made in heaven.

BB predicted the pick!? Really?! Have a link? I'd like to see that
I don't really follow the draft since I don't watch college football, but this seems like kind of an odd choice. Reminds me of when Trent Baalke took A.J. Jenkins. Hopefully, this pick will turn out better than that one. The only thing that makes sense is that there is something they REALLY like about his skill set and are looking at him as someone who can fit into that number three position or possibly slide into a number two spot should Samuel or Aiyuk move on, for whatever reason.

Jennings was tendered this year, so I'm guessing that makes him an UFA next year, which may have played into it. It would also suggest that Gray and that kid they got from Michigan last year, whose name escapes me at the moment, aren't viewed as long term answers either. Still, it seems like a tackle would have been more of a consensus pick.
I think shanalynch stuck to their board and stayed true to their process.

They have Stanford & Harvard minds on the offense side of the ball. I think this is part of their process and like it or not they value a players ability to think and move more so than strength and brut force (o-line types).

This philosophy seems to change when you look at what they value on the defense side of the ball.
Holy s**t this guy is 1000x better than AJ Jenkins please don't say that name in comparison.
Originally posted by DaleGribble:
Originally posted by MBNINER90266:
Theres multiple rounds weren't you aware?

Originally posted by theninermaniac:
So many people are overthinking here.

Does he get open? Yes.
Does he get YAC? Yes.
Does he have a diverse route tree? Yes.
Does he have great hands? Yes.
Does he have good size? Yes.
Does he have elite athleticism? Yes.

What exactly are yall complaining about?

Because we have greater needs.
Good thing we have multiple picks.
In the first round?
Theres multiple rounds weren't you aware?

I wasn't aware that the talent level was the same in each. Good to know.
plenty of talent spread through out the draft alot of the 49ers best players were acquired outside of the first round.

lol- exscty! Because we continue to blow first round picks like this one!
blowing first round picks has no bearing on the likes of Kittle,Deebo,Warner & Greenlaws talent level.

Bro, you keep missing my point. The poster above asked why people were complaining and I mentioned it was because we have greater needs, like CB for example, than WR at that spot. There were two good corners sitting there yet we passed. Thanks for the info on additional rounds, but the way this typically works is that guys are better earlier, so it's more of a crapshoot generally later. So we were more assured a better talent at a more needed position. Now do you get it?

Bro, you keep missing my point. The poster above asked why people were complaining and I mentioned it was because we have greater needs, like CB for example, than WR at that spot. There were two good corners sitting there yet we passed. Thanks for the info on additional rounds, but the way this typically works is that guys are better earlier, so it's more of a crapshoot generally later. So we were more assured a better talent at a more needed position. Now do you get
I'm not missing anything the draft from the get go is a crapshoot there's no more assurances the two corners you mention won't be complete busts or that guys taken much later won't be far superior to them now do you get it?

And they absolutely have a valid need at WR whether or not the need at CB is greater is debatable.

Because we've had such great success with our first round reaches. LOL.
One thing that I like about this pick, is that he seems to be well developed for a rookie. A lot of our first round picks seem to be extremely raw players with a ton of upside, this seems to be a guy who can hit the ground running and contribute right away… depending on how fast he can get the playbook down.

i anticipate this isn't good for grey. Lol
  • pdc20
  • Veteran
The more I see some people losing their minds over the freaking 31th pick of the draft, the more I laugh.
Lynch and Shanahan, like it or not, have proved that they were able to build a contender.
Maybe they could have trade down or maybe the Panthers would have drafted Pearsall instead of Legette.
Every year, it's the same thing. "This guy is gonna be a star. This guy is a bust. This is bad value. This is good value".
The reality is that we don't f**king know unless the player is someone like Nick Bosa, Joe Burrow or Myles Garrett.
At least Ricky Pearsall is a good fit for this offense. He's exactly the type of receiver Shanahan likes.
They're giving Brock Purdy another weapon and that's a good thing.
Pearsall seems like our answer to countering the type of defenses that spags & baltimore ran against us. We need a quick, shifty, precise route runner who can get open quickly to keep the ball moving. We only have CMC for that right now.

i view this guy as our Edelman, but more athletic. I'd be surprised if we didn't keep Aiyuk, Deebo, & Pearsall for this upcoming year.

couple them with CMC, Kittle, Jennings, & hopefully a developed Latu - this offense will have depth and extreme versatility.

• pdc20
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:

Originally posted by pdc20:
Originally posted by tankle104:

Yeah, this is why I didn't overreact. He seems to be as good as a WR candidate as anyone at that pick. Didn't think we need a WR but whatever.
Having that coach say you drafted a good wide receiver is a bad thing. He couldn't find a wr if his life depended on it
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Love using 1st round picks on red shirt players

You can do that when you have a loaded roster. Other than the right tackle What other position is a major need immediately for the team?

and even then, there was a big run on tackles before their pick
Pearsall dominated senior bowl week, which is another feather in his cap. I think we got a stud.
Share 49ersWebzone