There are 336 users in the forums

SWB Ricky Pearsall-WR-Florida; 31st Pick 2024 Draft - NO politics

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I don't know if he was their first choice. I wonder if they would have takenan O lineman or CB if one of the better ones had slipped back to them. The best tackles were off the board and we saw a run on CBs in the few rounds just ahead of the 49ers. I thought something might have been going on when they took nearly the entire time. Maybe a trade. Maybe it was a discussion on whether to go with Pearsall or Legette.

In the end the took Pearsall who they must feel fits their system better. He seems more versatile and has great hands. Some think they wanted Worthy but he's smaller and not as versatile. He fits the Chiefs who have a QB with a stronger arm and a better ability to roll out and keep the play alive. Those are traits that make a speedy receiver more effective. Pearsall may well have had a 2nd round grade by many teams but would he still be around when the Niners pick with 32 picks ahead of them? Doubtful. Kool Ade has a cool name but I didn't see a lot of boards that had him rated in the 1st round. The remaining tackles and guards were borderline 1st/2nd rounders.

There's still the possibility that Aiyuk or Deebo gets traded today. They needed a WR no matter what. We know Deebo is always good for at least 2 or 3 missed games each year because of injuries. They had absolutely nothing after the 2 starters and Jennings who isn't a full time starter. He may leave next year anyway. Before ripping this pick I want to see him play. Maybe he turns into a player like Puka. They have several more picks and those later picks often end up better than the 1st rounders.

I think if Graham Barton fell to #31 he would've been the picked. I also think Wiggins and Worthy were in play too at #31. I think the Chiefs jumped in front of the 9ers to get Worthy. In the end, I think they went with someone who Kyle Shanahan was keeping tabs on throughout the process.

As for Aiyuk and Deebo, seriously doubt they get traded today, Lynch and Shanahan want too much for them. Aiyuk is worth much more than a 2nd round pick and Deebo isn't worth a 2nd round pick, maybe a 3rd. But again, Lynch and Shanahan want more than what we (fans) think is a fair price. If anything I'd like to see them trade Jennings away to move Pearsall up to the #3 on the depth chart. Pearsall is a much better route runner than Jennings is, both are fearless and don't shy away from contact, but the question is how is Pearsall as a run blocker?? Jennings prides himself in run blocking, something Shanahan puts a ton of value in.
We've only got one receiver that can beat man coverage, and that's Aiyuk. When Spags learned he couldn't fool Brock and switched to man coverage the whole second half, we lost. We need two of those guys on the field. Now we do. What's not to like?
Originally posted by pdc20:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by Chance:
Three points of data that excite me:

CJ Stroud seemed kinda devastated we picked Pearsall. Was THE guy he wanted drafted.

Bill Belichick predicted the pick. BB knows this kid and Kyle are a match made in heaven.

Brandon Aiyuk called this pick fire. BA played with him and knows WR skills.

BB predicted the pick!? Really?! Have a link? I'd like to see that

lol, he clearly saw the pick before it was announced that's why they were all laughing
Originally posted by BOI49er:
We've only got one receiver that can beat man coverage, and that's Aiyuk. When Spags learned he couldn't fool Brock and switched to man coverage the whole second half, we lost. We need two of those guys on the field. Now we do. What's not to like?

The pressure coming up the middle we can't stop
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Why do people only remember what Spags did and not the two fumbles the 49ers coughed up. smh

That's what lost the game.
Originally posted by jreff22:

Let's see how things shake out today plenty of quality interior lineman available.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I don't know if he was their first choice. I wonder if they would have takenan O lineman or CB if one of the better ones had slipped back to them. The best tackles were off the board and we saw a run on CBs in the few rounds just ahead of the 49ers. I thought something might have been going on when they took nearly the entire time. Maybe a trade. Maybe it was a discussion on whether to go with Pearsall or Legette.

In the end the took Pearsall who they must feel fits their system better. He seems more versatile and has great hands. Some think they wanted Worthy but he's smaller and not as versatile. He fits the Chiefs who have a QB with a stronger arm and a better ability to roll out and keep the play alive. Those are traits that make a speedy receiver more effective. Pearsall may well have had a 2nd round grade by many teams but would he still be around when the Niners pick with 32 picks ahead of them? Doubtful. Kool Ade has a cool name but I didn't see a lot of boards that had him rated in the 1st round. The remaining tackles and guards were borderline 1st/2nd rounders.

There's still the possibility that Aiyuk or Deebo gets traded today. They needed a WR no matter what. We know Deebo is always good for at least 2 or 3 missed games each year because of injuries. They had absolutely nothing after the 2 starters and Jennings who isn't a full time starter. He may leave next year anyway. Before ripping this pick I want to see him play. Maybe he turns into a player like Puka. They have several more picks and those later picks often end up better than the 1st rounders.

I think if Graham Barton fell to #31 he would've been the picked. I also think Wiggins and Worthy were in play too at #31. I think the Chiefs jumped in front of the 9ers to get Worthy. In the end, I think they went with someone who Kyle Shanahan was keeping tabs on throughout the process.

As for Aiyuk and Deebo, seriously doubt they get traded today, Lynch and Shanahan want too much for them. Aiyuk is worth much more than a 2nd round pick and Deebo isn't worth a 2nd round pick, maybe a 3rd. But again, Lynch and Shanahan want more than what we (fans) think is a fair price. If anything I'd like to see them trade Jennings away to move Pearsall up to the #3 on the depth chart. Pearsall is a much better route runner than Jennings is, both are fearless and don't shy away from contact, but the question is how is Pearsall as a run blocker?? Jennings prides himself in run blocking, something Shanahan puts a ton of value in.
I don't believe Worthy was ever in play he's the exact opposite of a Shannahan WR.
Originally posted by genus49:
Can't say I love the pick but I love the player.

I also said going into this draft and any future drafts that I will not overreact one way or another. I have my preferences like anyone else but end of the day I fully understand draft predictions don't mean jack and the proof will be in the pudding.

Our QB is Mr Irrelevant and our roster is filled with stud players we've landed in the middle rounds. Who cares if the team reached. All I care about is the guys are good players on this team.

Today won't answer that. We'll see once the games start. Just get better. All I ask.
Totally agree. (That's why you're the genus.)
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by DaleGribble:
I don't believe Worthy was ever in play he's the exact opposite of a Shannahan WR.

You sure how about that, Worthy was invited to a top 30 visit and talked to at the Combine. Sure that doesn't mean anything now, but you have to wonder why the Chiefs only jumped up three spots all of a sudden?

I agree with this. Limited route running, no blocking, not great with contested catches, simply not physical at all.

Originally posted by jreff22:

That was a mistake. Interior line play is more dependent on headwork and mistake free teamwork than traits, and that can be fixed outside the first round. The best player available was not an O lineman.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Rathof44:

I agree with this. Limited route running, no blocking, not great with contested catches, simply not physical at all.

I said the same thing, and guess what, no one got the pick right. The only one who Mocked it correctly was Bill Belichick. Shanahan straight up went against the grain, which is another reason I think Worthy would've been the pick, he's never had that type of speed on this offense before. And you think the Chiefs traded up to 28 and didn't consider all the things you've mentioned. They just drafted a WR that can only run straight, you arm chair GM's need to do better.
Purdy to Pearsall gonna wreck this entire league
Originally posted by babarvaart:
We do well with Rickys

That's as good a reason as any….
I said the same thing, and guess what, no one got the pick right. The only one who Mocked it correctly was Bill Belichick. Shanahan straight up went against the grain, which is another reason I think Worthy would've been the pick, he's never had that type of speed on this offense before. And you think the Chiefs traded up to 28 and didn't consider all the things you've mentioned. They just drafted a WR that can only run straight, you arm chair GM's need to do better.

Weird that one of the teams most in need of a field stretching WR passed on him and basically gave him to the Chiefs. All you arm chair GMs need to do better!
Share 49ersWebzone