There are 154 users in the forums

SWB Ricky Pearsall-WR-Florida; 31st Pick 2024 Draft - NO politics

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Cautiously optimistic on this guy. I just can't help having flashbacks of Dante Pettis and how he was he shining at this point too.
Nice.
  • irief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MucketyMuck:
Cautiously optimistic on this guy. I just can't help having flashbacks of Dante Pettis and how he was he shining at this point too.

By all accounts, he seems like he's got more of a Deebo mentality. Being soft doesn't seem like a concern.

Time will tell ultimately but Pearsall has always seemed like someone a lot more locked in, like he had to make to the NFL, there was no other option where Pettis was just a very athletic dude who was good at football but didn't love the grind.

Pettis didn't fail because he sucked. Dude could've easily been as good or possibly better than any of the WRs on the team right now. The talent was there. The dude failed because he wasn't committed to football.

By all accounts, Pearsall eats, sleeps and breathes football.
[ Edited by Heroism on Jun 8, 2024 at 8:31 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Time will tell ultimately but Pearsall has always seemed like someone a lot more locked in, like he had to make to the NFL, there was no other option where Pettis was just a very athletic dude who was good at football but didn't love the grind.

Pearsall and Cowing could both be big surprises. I keep hearing good things about both of them. Stuff like hiw quick they get in and out of routes. Explosiveness. How competitive they are. Toughness. All good traits.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Pettis didn't fail because he sucked. Dude could've easily been as good or possibly better than any of the WRs on the team right now. The talent was there. The dude failed because he wasn't committed to football.

If anything he has that football psycho energy that would put a Bill Belichick over the moon.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/49ers/article/molded-ricky-pearsall-future-49ers-wide-receiver-19454933.php?

"In high school he never went out," said his mom, Erin. "And, honestly, as a mom I was a little bit worried at first: 'Don't you want to go out and hang out with your friends? ' But Ricky had his eyes on the prize. He wasn't easily influenced by parties and the stuff that a lot of teenagers are influenced by. He's always marched to the beat of his own drum."

Pearsall would catch 100 consecutive balls from a JUGS machine, before and after practice, and he would restart when he had a drop. The result: He had six drops on 233 career targets and had the fourth-lowest drop rate in college football last season, when he had career highs in catches (65) and yards (965).

At Arizona State, where Pearsall spent three years before transferring to Florida for his final two seasons, Sun Devils head coach Herm Edwards occasionally had to order Pearsall to not practice.

Edwards, a former NFL cornerback and head coach, raved about Pearsall to 49ers general manager John Lynch while noting his quest for greatness could run him ragged.

"I told John this: You've got to protect him from himself," Edwards said. "Because he's a full-speed guy. He can wear himself down just because of the way he practices and goes about his business. He's so competitive. Every once in a while, you've got to say, 'OK, this is like a half-speed drill. Just slow down.' And there were other times, 'No, man, you're not practicing today. You get a day. You're not doing it.' And it would be, 'Aw, Coach.' "

Pearsall's passion helped transform him from a little-used underclassman — he had 13 catches in his first two seasons at ASU — into the No. 31 pick in the NFL draft. Head coach Kyle Shanahan, a former college wide receiver, said it was obvious in studying Pearsall that his routes were a result of gym-rat hours.

"He's an extremely advanced route runner," said director of player personnel Tariq Ahmad. "There's extremely advanced detail in his routes. Polish. Understanding how to beat man coverage. Understanding the areas in the zone to attack."

Ahmad was also struck by Pearsall's willingness to attack defenders with an aggression that belies his size. Edwards said Pearsall's courage in catching passes over the middle, an area of the field where big hits often await, is a quality that often separates wide receivers in the NFL.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Pearsall and Cowing could both be big surprises. I keep hearing good things about both of them. Stuff like hiw quick they get in and out of routes. Explosiveness. How competitive they are. Toughness. All good traits.

In the past I was skeptical about guys like Aiyuk because of the QB situation and the 49ers not having a QB that was consistently getting the ball out on time, accurately or both. Now I'm very excited to see how Purdy can take advantage of Pearsall's outstanding route running.

And not just Pearsall because Cowing is also an amazing route runner and its something that both these guys emphasize a ton. They're both noted film junkies and have shown tremendous improvement throughout their college careers.

Purdy's going to have someone open somewhere on the field at all times.
I held the same reservations, but I look at how other elite football players talk about Pearsall. Hearing CJ Stroud talk about about him the way he did has me pretty excited. I don't recall Pettis getting that kind of praise, so I too, am cautiously optimistic
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

If anything he has that football psycho energy that would put a Bill Belichick over the moon.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/49ers/article/molded-ricky-pearsall-future-49ers-wide-receiver-19454933.php?

"In high school he never went out," said his mom, Erin. "And, honestly, as a mom I was a little bit worried at first: 'Don't you want to go out and hang out with your friends? ' But Ricky had his eyes on the prize. He wasn't easily influenced by parties and the stuff that a lot of teenagers are influenced by. He's always marched to the beat of his own drum."

Pearsall would catch 100 consecutive balls from a JUGS machine, before and after practice, and he would restart when he had a drop. The result: He had six drops on 233 career targets and had the fourth-lowest drop rate in college football last season, when he had career highs in catches (65) and yards (965).

At Arizona State, where Pearsall spent three years before transferring to Florida for his final two seasons, Sun Devils head coach Herm Edwards occasionally had to order Pearsall to not practice.

Edwards, a former NFL cornerback and head coach, raved about Pearsall to 49ers general manager John Lynch while noting his quest for greatness could run him ragged.

"I told John this: You've got to protect him from himself," Edwards said. "Because he's a full-speed guy. He can wear himself down just because of the way he practices and goes about his business. He's so competitive. Every once in a while, you've got to say, 'OK, this is like a half-speed drill. Just slow down.' And there were other times, 'No, man, you're not practicing today. You get a day. You're not doing it.' And it would be, 'Aw, Coach.' "

Pearsall's passion helped transform him from a little-used underclassman — he had 13 catches in his first two seasons at ASU — into the No. 31 pick in the NFL draft. Head coach Kyle Shanahan, a former college wide receiver, said it was obvious in studying Pearsall that his routes were a result of gym-rat hours.

"He's an extremely advanced route runner," said director of player personnel Tariq Ahmad. "There's extremely advanced detail in his routes. Polish. Understanding how to beat man coverage. Understanding the areas in the zone to attack."

Ahmad was also struck by Pearsall's willingness to attack defenders with an aggression that belies his size. Edwards said Pearsall's courage in catching passes over the middle, an area of the field where big hits often await, is a quality that often separates wide receivers in the NFL.

Pearsall reminds me a bit of Jerry with his work ethic and mindset. I would have loved for Pearsall to be coached by Jerry, but Jerry is with his son and Jim at the Charger's facility.

But it would be great of Pearsall would be Brock's Jerry Rice 2.0. We shall see.

Gotta have some dog to play in the NFL and Pettis has a little too much p***y cat.

Slick Rick has that dog in him.

Dude is so filthy with the head fakes. He's very Cooper Kupp-esque in that regard.
For those fans old enough to have seen Jerry Rice in his prime they know that it was his precise route running and attention to detail that made him great along with his stamina. His training allowed him to play at the same tempo in the 4th quarter as he did in the first. He wasn't the fastest or the biggest. Just the best.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Jun 8, 2024 at 10:50 AM ]
  • JMC52
  • Veteran
Nice.
In the past I was skeptical about guys like Aiyuk because of the QB situation and the 49ers not having a QB that was consistently getting the ball out on time, accurately or both. Now I'm very excited to see how Purdy can take advantage of Pearsall's outstanding route running.

And not just Pearsall because Cowing is also an amazing route runner and its something that both these guys emphasize a ton. They're both noted film junkies and have shown tremendous improvement throughout their college careers.

Purdy's going to have someone open somewhere on the field at all times.

💥
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
For those fans old enough to have seen Jerry Rice in his prime they know that it was his precise route running and attention to detail that made him great along with his stamina. His training allowed him to play at the same tempo in the 4th quarter as he did in the first. He wasn't the fastest or the biggest. Just the best.

Yep, he still looks great too.
Share 49ersWebzone