There are 307 users in the forums

SWB Ricky Pearsall-WR-Florida; 31st Pick 2024 Draft - NO politics

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I'm glad that some teams have the balls to take a stand. I don't know any other business where the employees can keep asking for 50-100% pay increases. KC let Hill go rather than pay him a huge amount. It sure hurt them didn't it. Two SB wins without him. Hill was much more of a threat than Aiyuk. With a good QB and good play caller a team can win without great receivers. The Niners have both in Brock and Kyle.

Revenue sharing. They aren't simply the "employees." They're the main ticket.

I'd rather they be getting the money than greedy a$$ owners seeking public funding for new plush stadiums.

The revenue is the revenue. Someone has to get the money.

Those greedy owners are paying those players we love so much. They're the ones building the stadiums. You could say the same about any big corporation. The guys at the top are making way more than the employees. The real difference is employees at other types of businesses don't have agents negotiating their salaries. If they're union they have negotiators but that merely sets a framework for all employees.

Athletes have been playing it both ways for years now. They say it's a game until it comes time to get paid. Then it's a business. It's just not run like any normal business.
I'm glad that some teams have the balls to take a stand. I don't know any other business where the employees can keep asking for 50-100% pay increases. KC let Hill go rather than pay him a huge amount. It sure hurt them didn't it. Two SB wins without him. Hill was much more of a threat than Aiyuk. With a good QB and good play caller a team can win without great receivers. The Niners have both in Brock and Kyle.

I'd rather they be getting the money than greedy a$$ owners seeking public funding for new plush stadiums.

Those greedy owners are paying those players we love so much. They're the ones building the stadiums. You could say the same about any big corporation. The guys at the top are making way more than the employees. The real difference is employees at other types of businesses don't have agents negotiating their salaries. If they're union they have negotiators but that merely sets a framework for all employees.

Athletes have been playing it both ways for years now. They say it's a game until it comes time to get paid. Then it's a business. It's just not run like any normal business.

To be fair, it is, more often than not, tax payers building some of these big ass stadiums with the owners contributing to the cause.
Originally posted by fropwns:

To be fair, it is, more often than not, tax payers building some of these big ass stadiums with the owners contributing to the cause.

Not so much anymore. Tax payers are more reluctant to finance these stadiums. Owners are also realizing that it's worth it to them to own the stadium. That raises the value of the team considerably and alllows them to rake in revenue from other events.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Salaries are a cost of doing business. That cost is passed on to the consumer (fans). Players getting the money (along with other costs) leads to higher ticket prices to help run the teams, stadiums (plush or no), etc.

Players getting (more) money DOES NOT lead to higher ticket prices,...lol.

This is a LIE.

The "big wigs" are maximizing the money. The players simply argue for their piece of the pie. Their percentage of revenue sharing is actually LESS than it was years ago. They used to get a 50% cut. It's been as low as 47% in recent CBAs, and is now 48%.

If the revenue gets cut in half somehow,...the salaries automatically get cut in half as well. That's how revenue sharing works.

The NFL as a corporation are the ones driving the prices higher. The players play.

So the anger is misdirected, and exactly why this is a hard concept to grasp is beyond me.
[ Edited by random49er on Aug 8, 2024 at 4:13 PM ]
Bottom line is WR's aren't worth $30 mil a year.
And with the salary cap they can't afford it.
Instead they need to trade for inexpensive draft picks and draft well
[ Edited by maxsmart on Aug 9, 2024 at 12:32 AM ]
  • 91til
  • Veteran
Originally posted by maxsmart:
With the salary cap they need to trade for draft picks and draft well

Idk the lions, eagles and dolphins, just off the top of my head, all have WRs making near that and good competitive teams around them lol
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 91til:
Originally posted by maxsmart:
With the salary cap they need to trade for draft picks and draft well

Idk the lions, eagles and dolphins, just off the top of my head, all have WRs making near that and good competitive teams around them lol

Yup, the WR market has exploded. You can't put that genie back in the bottle. The market is what the market is.
Originally posted by TD49ers:
Maybe but what about the fans. Who can afford going to a football game anymore? TV is next.

football game tickets are expensive because theres a lot of demand and it is inelastic. there are only 8 home games a season for a football team, so someone will buy tickets at high prices no matter the price (so to speak). very loyal fans or people with good amount of money can easily account for most of the stadium capacity

its easier than ever to travel nowadays and a lot of people go to football games for social media clout. globalism is a thing.

sports that have 80 home games (baseball) it's much easier to get tix, almost trivial and they're way cheaper.
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
Originally posted by TD49ers:
Maybe but what about the fans. Who can afford going to a football game anymore? TV is next.

football game tickets are expensive because theres a lot of demand and it is inelastic. there are only 8 home games a season for a football team, so someone will buy tickets at high prices no matter the price (so to speak). very loyal fans or people with good amount of money can easily account for most of the stadium capacity

its easier than ever to travel nowadays and a lot of people go to football games for social media clout. globalism is a thing.

sports that have 80 home games (baseball) it's much easier to get tix, almost trivial and they're way cheaper.

Correct. I live in DC and my best friend is Dolphins season ticket holder. He has 4 season tickets and flies from DC to Miami for every home game. I go twice a year just to go.
Originally posted by fropwns:

Not so much anymore. Tax payers are more reluctant to finance these stadiums. Owners are also realizing that it's worth it to them to own the stadium. That raises the value of the team considerably and alllows them to rake in revenue from other events.

Not so fast.

https://apnews.com/article/kansas-city-chiefs-new-stadium-royals-0bc5f4e1ea6a9387a0a34df23a1488e5

Salaries are a cost of doing business. That cost is passed on to the consumer (fans). Players getting the money (along with other costs) leads to higher ticket prices to help run the teams, stadiums (plush or no), etc.

This is a LIE.

The "big wigs" are maximizing the money. The players simply argue for their piece of the pie. Their percentage of revenue sharing is actually LESS than it was years ago. They used to get a 50% cut. It's been as low as 47% in recent CBAs, and is now 48%.

If the revenue gets cut in half somehow,...the salaries automatically get cut in half as well. That's how revenue sharing works.

The NFL as a corporation are the ones driving the prices higher. The players play.

So the anger is misdirected, and exactly why this is a hard concept to grasp is beyond me.
It's not a lie.. it's how everything is and why everything is getting more expensive (items gets more expensive/Customer pays for it)

Player gets paid more and more
salary cap starts suffocating teams because players are getting more expensive.
Owners complain they can't build teams due to the small cap and expensive players
NFL says well if there was more revenue, we can raise the cap
Owners and NFL charge more to watch games
Cap increases
fans pay for it
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Aug 8, 2024 at 9:34 PM ]
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
It's not a lie.. it's how everything is and why everything is getting more expensive (items gets more expensive/Customer pays for it)

Owners complain they can't build teams due to the small cap and expensive players
Cap increases
fans pay for it

That's....how the market works. If going to the games gets too expensive, and everyone stops going, they'll lower the price.

That hasn't happened yet
Originally posted by frenchmov:

Cap increases
fans pay for it

That's....how the market works. If going to the games gets too expensive, and everyone stops going, they'll lower the price.

That hasn't happened yet
the face value doesn't get lower now days, they just stop raising the price.

Cap increases
fans pay for it

You just said it, it is not the players, it is the NFL and owners just wanting more money.
These increases would happen whether the players get their cut or not.
Then the NFL lies to players about the revenue and medical concerns, while just leaving retired players out to dry.

This is the test, if the players agreed to just a 20% share, would prices drop 50%?

This is a LIE.

Cap increases
fans pay for it

Umm lol no
Share 49ersWebzone