There are 472 users in the forums

SWB Ricky Pearsall-WR-Florida; 31st Pick 2024 Draft - NO politics

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
It's not a lie.. it's how everything is and why everything is getting more expensive (items gets more expensive/Customer pays for it)

Player gets paid more and more
salary cap starts suffocating teams because players are getting more expensive.
Owners complain they can't build teams due to the small cap and expensive players
NFL says well if there was more revenue, we can raise the cap
Owners and NFL charge more to watch games
Cap increases
fans pay for it

You just said it, it is not the players, it is the NFL and owners just wanting more money.
These increases would happen whether the players get their cut or not.
Then the NFL lies to players about the revenue and medical concerns, while just leaving retired players out to dry.

This is the test, if the players agreed to just a 20% share, would prices drop 50%?
what.. how is it not the players when they hold out for more money which starts a snowball effect of increasement throughout the league. Cost will never go down. so teams have to raise prices to stay competitive

If there was no increase in revenue, there is no way you can build teams with with what the players cost today at a 1994 salary cap
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Salaries are a cost of doing business. That cost is passed on to the consumer (fans). Players getting the money (along with other costs) leads to higher ticket prices to help run the teams, stadiums (plush or no), etc.

Players getting (more) money DOES NOT lead to higher ticket prices,...lol.

This is a LIE.

The "big wigs" are maximizing the money. The players simply argue for their piece of the pie. Their percentage of revenue sharing is actually LESS than it was years ago. They used to get a 50% cut. It's been as low as 47% in recent CBAs, and is now 48%.

If the revenue gets cut in half somehow,...the salaries automatically get cut in half as well. That's how revenue sharing works.

The NFL as a corporation are the ones driving the prices higher. The players play.

So the anger is misdirected, and exactly why this is a hard concept to grasp is beyond me.

I had this conversation with Bus Cook once (family friend), he was Brett Farve's agent. He was in that orbit a long time, there is so much in the CBA that is legacy stuff from 50+ years ago that keeps getting renewed because it is in the owners best interest. So there is alot of cost protections that really are not needed in today's NFL. He gave an example of an owner who had to take out a personal loan to pay a signing bonus probably in the 50s or 60s...it was some low loooowww number by today's standards like it might have been a couple hundred thousand...I really do not remember the amount might have been 10s of thousands...just that it was low. I think it was Paul Brown or some old school guy like that. When the owners go into CBA negotiations, they still have the lowest common denominator mindset, and rules and regulations still get repeated based on financial situations that don't really exist with the billionaires that own clubs today. in the 90s the owners were still talking about that loan as a potential what if. That is why there is still shielded money, and unsharable money even in today's NFL. When we get price hikes it is normally on that extra money not shared with other teams, and the players....ie stuff that fans absorb when they visit a stadium.

Cash on hand, and signing bonus or guaranteed money could very well drive cost hikes, all that stuff gets put in escrow...even a billionaire is going to notice a $100m dollars sitting in escrow before it gets sent out to players, and owners that will not operate in the red, would have to change their profit model to keep revenue up to compete with teams and owners that have no issue tossing out large amounts of guaranteed money and recouping it some distant day down the road. So in general ....yeah....I agree...it is an owner thing, but also....they have to compete and they don't all have the same personal revenue pool to pull from....so it might not be greed in every case, they have to put out a consumable product or they can fall behind their competitors.
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Salaries are a cost of doing business. That cost is passed on to the consumer (fans). Players getting the money (along with other costs) leads to higher ticket prices to help run the teams, stadiums (plush or no), etc.

This is a LIE.

The "big wigs" are maximizing the money. The players simply argue for their piece of the pie. Their percentage of revenue sharing is actually LESS than it was years ago. They used to get a 50% cut. It's been as low as 47% in recent CBAs, and is now 48%.

If the revenue gets cut in half somehow,...the salaries automatically get cut in half as well. That's how revenue sharing works.

The NFL as a corporation are the ones driving the prices higher. The players play.

So the anger is misdirected, and exactly why this is a hard concept to grasp is beyond me.

I had this conversation with Bus Cook once (family friend), he was Brett Farve's agent. He was in that orbit a long time, there is so much in the CBA that is legacy stuff from 50+ years ago that keeps getting renewed because it is in the owners best interest. So there is alot of cost protections that really are not needed in today's NFL. He gave an example of an owner who had to take out a personal loan to pay a signing bonus probably in the 50s or 60s...it was some low loooowww number by today's standards like it might have been a couple hundred thousand...I really do not remember the amount might have been 10s of thousands...just that it was low. I think it was Paul Brown or some old school guy like that. When the owners go into CBA negotiations, they still have the lowest common denominator mindset, and rules and regulations still get repeated based on financial situations that don't really exist with the billionaires that own clubs today. in the 90s the owners were still talking about that loan as a potential what if. That is why there is still shielded money, and unsharable money even in today's NFL. When we get price hikes it is normally on that extra money not shared with other teams, and the players....ie stuff that fans absorb when they visit a stadium.

Cash on hand, and signing bonus or guaranteed money could very well drive cost hikes, all that stuff gets put in escrow...even a billionaire is going to notice a $100m dollars sitting in escrow before it gets sent out to players, and owners that will not operate in the red, would have to change their profit model to keep revenue up to compete with teams and owners that have no issue tossing out large amounts of guaranteed money and recouping it some distant day down the road. So in general ....yeah....I agree...it is an owner thing, but also....they have to compete and they don't all have the same personal revenue pool to pull from....so it might not be greed in every case, they have to put out a consumable product or they can fall behind their competitors.

That old saying, it takes money to make money.
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:

This is a LIE.

It's not a lie.. it's how everything is and why everything is getting more expensive (items gets more expensive/Customer pays for it)

Owners complain they can't build teams due to the small cap and expensive players
Cap increases
fans pay for it

Umm lol no

In the end the fans will always pay one way or another. Owners get richer. Players becoming multi millionaires. Fans struggle to make ends meet. Yet those fans are the ones making the sport popular and keep paying more for tickets. More for cable. More for streaming. You don't see many families attending football like you do in baseball. At $200 or more it's hard to bring your wife and 2 kids. You are looking at a $1000 outing when you add food, parking and gas. The average family can't afford this. Season ticket holders sometimes share the games with another person to help defer the cost. More and more you see corporations buying blocks of season tickets and giving them to employees or customers. It's starting to look like the NBA where the good seats are occupied by celebrities trying to be seen.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Aug 9, 2024 at 8:30 AM ]
  • pd24
  • Veteran
I came to see how he has been doing and don't know what I am reading. Lol
Originally posted by pd24:

He went from being the #2 starter to not playing this season, lol
Sounds like he is still not practicing. Having Aiyuk sign will help out here as well since Pearsall has been an absolute zero for us so far. I have faith in his skillset but not his durability. He definitely looks the part on film from college but his durability is was what a lot of people were concerned about.
Originally posted by pd24:
he's holding in
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:

This is a LIE.

Cap increases
fans pay for it

Umm lol no

In the end the fans will always pay one way or another. Owners get richer. Players becoming multi millionaires. Fans struggle to make ends meet. Yet those fans are the ones making the sport popular and keep paying more for tickets. More for cable. More for streaming. You don't see many families attending football like you do in baseball. At $200 or more it's hard to bring your wife and 2 kids. You are looking at a $1000 outing when you add food, parking and gas. The average family can't afford this. Season ticket holders sometimes share the games with another person to help defer the cost. More and more you see corporations buying blocks of season tickets and giving them to employees or customers. It's starting to look like the NBA where the good seats are occupied by celebrities trying to be seen.

The Mrs and I paid about $1000 total (tickets, hotel, food, drink) for the Cards game in Phoenix last season. Had good seats (met Purdy's poppa and Kittles lady), but still was pricey for 3 hours of entertainment. My first ever experience watching a game with other Niners fans, and our section was thick thick with Niners fans so a memory I will have forever and probably worth it, but still a hard pill to swallow for our income justified cause it was my birthday present.
[ Edited by WINiner on Aug 14, 2024 at 10:45 PM ]
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Sounds like he is still not practicing. Having Aiyuk sign will help out here as well since Pearsall has been an absolute zero for us so far. I have faith in his skillset but not his durability. He definitely looks the part on film from college but his durability is was what a lot of people were concerned about.

Same, Tbh I recall reading Kyle went to John and Parag about Aiyuk last week?

Sounds like he got enough of a look at this years team and with Pearsall being banged up all friggin camp so far and said to them yeah we need Brandon, so figure it out lol

Originally posted by Cisco0623:

Sounds like he got enough of a look at this years team and with Pearsall being banged up all friggin camp so far and said to them yeah we need Brandon, so figure it out lol

Yea, he hasn't made anyone feel like we could move on from BA thats for sure.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

Yea, he hasn't made anyone feel like we could move on from BA thats for sure.
Not giving into BAs demands is proof enough or BA would have been signed a long time ago
Hope the guy can get on the field soon, valuable time ticking away
Man this is looking like a rough pick so far. Has he even made consecutive practices?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Man this is looking like a rough pick so far. Has he even made consecutive practices?

I don't want to talk about.
Share 49ersWebzone