• Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
If NY liked this guy, I like this guy. Haha I think he has a lot of potential and I like that he's a talented pass blocker. We seem to have focused on talented run blockers with decent pass blocking in the past.

this guy and his versatility should really help solidify that side of the line. I also noticed that mckivitz was much better when he was next to a guard not named Burford. So I'm optimistic.

im really hoping the Michigan center we signed can become a good center for us. Brendel just isn't a great option.

I never have high hopes for guys who are projected highly and go undrafted in comparison to guys who went under the radar the whole draft process and sign on as a UDFA. Teams spend alot more time evaluating them and took him off their board for some collective reasoning

I get this take. I actually expect Nick Zakelj to push for that center spot before Nugent.

Well I don't expect nugent to do it this year. I meant more of get developed and take over, build up our pipeline of o line prospects - which I think has been crap.

then again, oline depth across the league has been sub par the last few years.

Definitely a fact. Fingers crossed that our depth can make a jump this year and that we can get 2 good starters out of this group (Puni, Kingston, Zakelj, Nugent). Three would make it a slam dunk, upgrading the middle of the OL.

We will really need some of those guys to step up next year. We will most likely be looking for both a RG/LG after this season.

someone will over pay banks and then we will find out if puni and another young guy can step up.

Im hoping the 2025 starters at guard are already on the roster. It would show we can draft and develop some quality starters. Best case scenario, we are drafting guys for depth and to push the foursome of Nugent, Zakelj, Puni, and Kingston as well as getting two tackles.

Are there any great offensive lines that are developed instead of bought or drafted high? Seems like the best OL we had recently (under Harbaugh) was full of first rounders, same for the Cowboys and others that pop in my mind.
Originally posted by All22:
If NY liked this guy, I like this guy. Haha I think he has a lot of potential and I like that he's a talented pass blocker. We seem to have focused on talented run blockers with decent pass blocking in the past.

this guy and his versatility should really help solidify that side of the line. I also noticed that mckivitz was much better when he was next to a guard not named Burford. So I'm optimistic.

im really hoping the Michigan center we signed can become a good center for us. Brendel just isn't a great option.

I never have high hopes for guys who are projected highly and go undrafted in comparison to guys who went under the radar the whole draft process and sign on as a UDFA. Teams spend alot more time evaluating them and took him off their board for some collective reasoning

I get this take. I actually expect Nick Zakelj to push for that center spot before Nugent.

Well I don't expect nugent to do it this year. I meant more of get developed and take over, build up our pipeline of o line prospects - which I think has been crap.

Definitely a fact. Fingers crossed that our depth can make a jump this year and that we can get 2 good starters out of this group (Puni, Kingston, Zakelj, Nugent). Three would make it a slam dunk, upgrading the middle of the OL.

We will really need some of those guys to step up next year. We will most likely be looking for both a RG/LG after this season.

someone will over pay banks and then we will find out if puni and another young guy can step up.

Im hoping the 2025 starters at guard are already on the roster. It would show we can draft and develop some quality starters. Best case scenario, we are drafting guys for depth and to push the foursome of Nugent, Zakelj, Puni, and Kingston as well as getting two tackles.

Are there any great offensive lines that are developed instead of bought or drafted high? Seems like the best OL we had recently (under Harbaugh) was full of first rounders, same for the Cowboys and others that pop in my mind.

Our glory years O lines were a mixed bag. I think only Harris Barton was a 1st round pick. The great Cowboys and Denver teams of the 90s were a mixed bag too. There is no one path.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I commend ShanaLynch for forcing Puni on Foerster!

[question]How do you think OL Dominic Puni has been handling his first training camp?
[Foerster]"Awesome. As good as one of the better rookies. I'm not ready to crown him yet as far as one of the better rookies, but he is one of the better rookies. Right after we drafted him, the video guy said that he called right away when he got his iPad, they'd sent them out as we get the kid signed. He said, 'where do I get all of coaches teaching meetings?' We record everything. He wanted every single meeting. By the time he showed up for rookie minicamp, which I think was two weeks after the Draft, he'd watched all of my install meetings from Phase One, Phase Two, and everything we'd done to that point. He'd watched them all. And he answers every question right. He is a very intelligent kid. Doesn't say a word. Very, very smart. Very tough. Strong. And he doesn't sway. He is just steady Eddie. But he works extremely hard and he's very diligent. I don't think I've had an offensive lineman – I know I couldn't sit through all those meetings – He grabbed them and ate them up. So good for him."
Puni at RG and Feliciano at C. "Ohhhhhh….. It's happening Andy, it's happening!!!!!" - 40 year old virgin
Originally posted by elguapo:
Puni at RG and Feliciano at C. "Ohhhhhh….. It's happening Andy, it's happening!!!!!" - 40 year old virgin

This has been my hope since the draft but I'm still not convinced Foerster will bench Brendel, he has a crush on him lol.
Originally posted by All22:

True but with free agency you can't have that and everything else.
Originally posted by illinois9er:

This has been my hope since the draft but I'm still not convinced Foerster will bench Brendel, he has a crush on him lol.

Very true. All our coaches favor lesser veterans than better rookies for a while before starting them
I think he's the real deal. Hopefully the starter at RG. Feliciano at C. Trent Williams ends his holdout. That fixes up our offensive line really quick.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I think he's the real deal. Hopefully the starter at RG. Feliciano at C. Trent Williams ends his holdout. That fixes up our offensive line really quick.

For sure. Banks has been solid at times when not injured. Especially next to Trent. McKivitz will be the weakest link

For sure. Banks has been solid at times when not injured. Especially next to Trent. McKivitz will be the weakest link

Yeah of that group McKivitz would be the only weak link. We could help him with some chip blocks. The others don't need help.
He makes big blocks and wins games.

Strong first showing
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
He makes big blocks and wins games.

Agree. He's a keeper.
it was kinda weird to see the left side as the more dominant looking running side in preseason.....
Share 49ersWebzone