There are 196 users in the forums

Jacob Cowing-WR-Arizona, 135th Pick, 2024 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by tankle104:

that is funny...I was just typing how this guy reminds me of Steve Smith
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Cowing was a steal. Period. Senior Bowl standout, 13 touchdowns this past season. He can run the entire route tree. Sure, he's not a contested catch guy cause of his size.. But he shouldn't have to be, due to his speed, route running, quickness, and Kyle scheming for him.

The 49er WRs are good, really good...but they had very defined sweet spots....

49ers just added guys that excel in different areas. We got a dude who can take the top off the defense, and a dude who is one of the better slant guys in recent memory.

Some players pan out, some players don't but the 49er tried to add a Wayne crebet and a Steve smith to the roster....I like the mindset, it is not more and more and more of the same from the offense, they are getting dudes who can do different things.

These guys are a bit more blue chip at what they do well... than most prospects. Both of these dudes are man beaters, and both throttle up and down REALLY well against the zone. They are going to hold passing windows open longer then dudes that just plow right though a zone...smart....they understand football.

I like it...I really do...Defenses are going to prepare for a ton of stuff, as good as 17 yard crossing patterns have been for the 49ers, teams are going to have to prep for more stuff when these guys get up to speed

Also, when we lose a player to injury, we don't lose the effectiveness to our offense.This offense feels so much more dynamic with the players added in this draft. Yeah, I wish we got that stud tackle, but a consolation is that we got guys that can get open in a hurry. Purdy is gonna cook next year.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
He's tiny. Kyle would have to hide him off the line.

So this is what happens when Peters is gone? This kind of draft???

And you're judging this draft because YOU don't like it yet none of these guys or the guys YOU like drafted played a down in the NFL yet🙄 yet it was Peters who lived Ambry Thomas but he's such a great player right?

I like some of the players (like the RB, George Michael, and the safety).. but imo, I would rather go all out fixing our glaring issues... draft multiple interior lineman and tackles early on.. and let the best one win the job.

That would make me feel more comfortable going into the season... ESPECIALLY knowing we have depth, is case we get injuries on our oline during the season.

Edit- look at the Tomlin and the Steelers..

3 Olinemen so far in this draft... picked two early on, with their 1st and 2nd round picks.

Steelers took many of the players we should have been targeting
Dude was geeked to be a Niner.

[ Edited by Heroism on Apr 27, 2024 at 10:33 PM ]
Low to the ground, super fast and quick with the cuts, now you see me / now you don't, a lot of DBs ankles broken off some
Originally posted by zeppfan1:
Bell/Gray
Yep I agree the writing is on the Wall in permanent ink

Exactly this is a great pick speed kills look at K.C. Worthy ,Hollywood Brown speed for days
Originally posted by Dirtydonedirtcheap69:

And you're judging this draft because YOU don't like it yet none of these guys or the guys YOU like drafted played a down in the NFL yet🙄 yet it was Peters who lived Ambry Thomas but he's such a great player right?

I like some of the players (like the RB, George Michael, and the safety).. but imo, I would rather go all out fixing our glaring issues... draft multiple interior lineman and tackles early on.. and let the best one win the job.

That would make me feel more comfortable going into the season... ESPECIALLY knowing we have depth, is case we get injuries on our oline during the season.

3 Olinemen so far in this draft... picked two early on, with their 1st and 2nd round picks.

Steelers took many of the players we should have been targeting

How do you know we weren't? They drafted well before us.

Great strategy, draft multiple interior lineman and tackles early on. So let's use our 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th round on interior OL and OT's. Screw BPA, just start throwing picks at the wall if they've played OL. Then since we only carry 9 OL on the 53, we can cut half our early draft picks. The top elite tackles were gone by our pick. Mckivitz isn't terrible, he's 27 and it was his first year starting, Burford is 23 years old, Banks is 26 and just getting started. These kids can get better. Puni I like a ton, I think he's our starter next year when Feliciano is done. Don't get me wrong, would I have liked to upgrade our RT? For sure, but you don't just pick players cus you have a need. I really liked our first 6 picks. This was our best draft in 10-15 years imo
Originally posted by jrouter4949:

Exactly this is a great pick speed kills look at K.C. Worthy ,Hollywood Brown speed for days

You NEED a speedy reliable player to help open up defenses. I keep saying it but that's why we struggled against KC and BAL. We didn't have anyone who could get open fast enough - deebo and Aiyuk aren't known for their quick cuts. Neither is jennings, as much as I love him.

im hoping that Pearsall or this guy can be our edelman. I think Pearsall is going to be huge for opening up our offense to another level.

Kyle saw McDaniels motion play, tried to copy it with Deebo and realized it didn't work unless you had elite speed plus elite route running.

I think drafting the 2 WRs is a solution to winning when Deebo gets hurt this year, and winning without Deebo next year.
[ Edited by flynhayn15 on Apr 28, 2024 at 11:00 AM ]
Originally posted by bmvanthiel:
Drafted 2 WRs and 1 olineman after 4 rounds. Wouldnt have ever guessed thats how it was going to play out.

We dont draft positions.
"I have a two-year-old little boy that a lot of people didn't know. To be able to talk about that and brag about him, it's kind of special," Cowing said. "I have priorities at certain times during the day; I have school in the morning then I have football and I have being a dad at the end of the day. I have two and a half years on my belt, so I think I got it down pat pretty good."

While being closer to his son influenced his decision to return to Arizona, Cowing says representing the Wildcats has extra meaning.

"That's one of my dream schools so being able to represent this school in a good manner and play under the lights, it's super special to me and my family. I'm just super excited to be able to be able to play a Tucson," Cowing said. "Coach Fisch is just a positive energetic person. He's always trying to look out for his players. He has your back… Everything you could think about a good person and a good man, that's coach Fisch."

https://www.12news.com/article/sports/college/arizona-footballs-jacob-cowing-balancing-life-as-student-athlete-dad/

JM: You're one of the best route runners in the class. What are some things you do to work on that aspect of your game?

Jacob Cowing: I love to do sand workouts. That plays a big role in my ability as a route-runner. I think those sand workouts are the reason behind my excellent change of direction. I can change and contort my body as needed when running routes.

I get my feet in certain places that allow me to come out of my breaks with ease. Those sandpit workouts translate to the field in that regard. It leads to on-field explosion for me. If I can be quick in the sand, I can definitely be quick on the field.That's one thing I use to improve as a route-running technician. I'm always working on getting my hips lower as well. Feet placement is a big one too. I can always continue to get better with my feet. That's how you create separation.

JM: Does Jacob Cowing have a favorite route to run?

Jacob Cowing: I would probably say a post-corner or a choice route. I like those a lot. Those are probably my top two routes. With that post-corner, I can threaten you vertically. They think I'm trying to take the top off. Being able to sell the post, they're going to overplay it. That's when I snap across underneath them for a big 25-yard play, or maybe even an explosive touchdown.

With that choice route, I can break inside, outside, or I can sit it down. There are so many different things I can do with a good choice route. That opens up my game a little bit more. If it's man coverage, it's difficult for the defensive back to understand what my intentions are. They have a tough time deciphering where I'm planning to go.

https://www.thedraftnetwork.com/2024/03/11/jacob-cowing-nfl-draft-interview

After hauling in 69 passes for 1,354 yards and seven touchdowns at UTEP last season, Cowing has proven he can produce in any place with any offense. He has also learned what he believes is the biggest factor for making a successful slot receiver.

"Honestly, it's coverage recognition," Cowing said. "With the slot position, you have to understand coverages. There's times where, if I'm on go-ball, and the linebacker is lined up kind of wide, I've gotten good at dipping my shoulder so he doesn't knock me off my route. And that's something you have to see and be good at in order to get past that second level — you have to be able to [know where defenders are going] to not mess up that timing."

Cowing credits all the hours he has logged in the film room for the adeptness in play-recognition. But he wasn't always so prepared: His film room habits were born out of being humbled early on at the college level.

"It really set in my first fall camp at UTEP," Cowing said. "I showed up to that first practice and I thought it was regular football like high school, but I got a reality check real quick. I was confused at my first practice; everyone is fast, everyone is smart, everyone knows what they're doing. That's when I made it a priority to learn play recognition, and I've spent countless hours watching film with coaches, quarterbacks, receivers, anyone who will watch film with me."

Cowing took his game to the next level as a junior in 2021, but not just mentally — physically, too. As a slot player, he knew the importance of play speed: separation, yards after the catch, elusiveness. So he worked on and improved an area of his game many say you can't teach.

"Number one thing in that Year 2 offseason was trying to get my speed up," Cowing said. "During the offseason, my old track coach at my high school told me if I have time to come back to the track he'll help me get fast. During that whole time I was just on the track running every day, and that's what helped me get my speed to where it is right now."

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-arizona-wildcats-wr-jacob-cowing-star-slot-receiver-in-the-making
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
"I have a two-year-old little boy that a lot of people didn't know. To be able to talk about that and brag about him, it's kind of special," Cowing said. "I have priorities at certain times during the day; I have school in the morning then I have football and I have being a dad at the end of the day. I have two and a half years on my belt, so I think I got it down pat pretty good."

While being closer to his son influenced his decision to return to Arizona, Cowing says representing the Wildcats has extra meaning.

"That's one of my dream schools so being able to represent this school in a good manner and play under the lights, it's super special to me and my family. I'm just super excited to be able to be able to play a Tucson," Cowing said. "Coach Fisch is just a positive energetic person. He's always trying to look out for his players. He has your back… Everything you could think about a good person and a good man, that's coach Fisch."

https://www.12news.com/article/sports/college/arizona-footballs-jacob-cowing-balancing-life-as-student-athlete-dad/

JM: You're one of the best route runners in the class. What are some things you do to work on that aspect of your game?

Jacob Cowing: I love to do sand workouts. That plays a big role in my ability as a route-runner. I think those sand workouts are the reason behind my excellent change of direction. I can change and contort my body as needed when running routes.

I get my feet in certain places that allow me to come out of my breaks with ease. Those sandpit workouts translate to the field in that regard. It leads to on-field explosion for me. If I can be quick in the sand, I can definitely be quick on the field.That's one thing I use to improve as a route-running technician. I'm always working on getting my hips lower as well. Feet placement is a big one too. I can always continue to get better with my feet. That's how you create separation.

JM: Does Jacob Cowing have a favorite route to run?

Jacob Cowing: I would probably say a post-corner or a choice route. I like those a lot. Those are probably my top two routes. With that post-corner, I can threaten you vertically. They think I'm trying to take the top off. Being able to sell the post, they're going to overplay it. That's when I snap across underneath them for a big 25-yard play, or maybe even an explosive touchdown.

With that choice route, I can break inside, outside, or I can sit it down. There are so many different things I can do with a good choice route. That opens up my game a little bit more. If it's man coverage, it's difficult for the defensive back to understand what my intentions are. They have a tough time deciphering where I'm planning to go.

https://www.thedraftnetwork.com/2024/03/11/jacob-cowing-nfl-draft-interview

After hauling in 69 passes for 1,354 yards and seven touchdowns at UTEP last season, Cowing has proven he can produce in any place with any offense. He has also learned what he believes is the biggest factor for making a successful slot receiver.

"Honestly, it's coverage recognition," Cowing said. "With the slot position, you have to understand coverages. There's times where, if I'm on go-ball, and the linebacker is lined up kind of wide, I've gotten good at dipping my shoulder so he doesn't knock me off my route. And that's something you have to see and be good at in order to get past that second level — you have to be able to [know where defenders are going] to not mess up that timing."

Cowing credits all the hours he has logged in the film room for the adeptness in play-recognition. But he wasn't always so prepared: His film room habits were born out of being humbled early on at the college level.

"It really set in my first fall camp at UTEP," Cowing said. "I showed up to that first practice and I thought it was regular football like high school, but I got a reality check real quick. I was confused at my first practice; everyone is fast, everyone is smart, everyone knows what they're doing. That's when I made it a priority to learn play recognition, and I've spent countless hours watching film with coaches, quarterbacks, receivers, anyone who will watch film with me."

Cowing took his game to the next level as a junior in 2021, but not just mentally — physically, too. As a slot player, he knew the importance of play speed: separation, yards after the catch, elusiveness. So he worked on and improved an area of his game many say you can't teach.

"Number one thing in that Year 2 offseason was trying to get my speed up," Cowing said. "During the offseason, my old track coach at my high school told me if I have time to come back to the track he'll help me get fast. During that whole time I was just on the track running every day, and that's what helped me get my speed to where it is right now."

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-arizona-wildcats-wr-jacob-cowing-star-slot-receiver-in-the-making

Amazing stuff. EXACTLY what I love to hear out of a young player. Man I think we got two excellent prospects at WR in this draft.

also pretty crazy that he's one of, if not the best route runner, In a DEEP WR draft. I'm guessing he fell because of his size but I'm loving the idea of these two a lot guys we grabbed.
Ray Ray replacement and hope he can earn his bones on STs. No doubt Kyle will eventually draw up some gadget plays for him (probably not much in year 1) but I have concerns his size will limit his ability to "gatorade block" in the run game and that will keep him off the field for meaningful snaps.
Share 49ersWebzone