There are 183 users in the forums

Jacob Cowing-WR-Arizona, 135th Pick, 2024 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
Kyle saw McDaniels motion play, tried to copy it with Deebo and realized it didn't work unless you had elite speed plus elite route running.

I think drafting the 2 WRs is a solution to winning when Deebo gets hurt this year, and winning without Deebo next year.

This is exactly what I brought up during the draft process. It's going to be nice to finally have a WR with real speed that allows Shanahan to exploit the exit/cheat motion against defenses. It's also going to help in the run game with the jet sweep playaction.

This is one of the main reasons I expect Jacob Cowing to get more outside reps at Z.
[ Edited by Heroism on Apr 30, 2024 at 11:53 AM ]
This kid isn't just a speedy receiver because he can run routes and we can see on tape that he is a 4.3-guy (unlike Guerendo) and he has sticky hands.

I thonk Cowing is gonna be what Shanahan thought Danny Gray was gonna be.

We shoud be more excited about this pick
Originally posted by Monsterniner:
This kid isn't just a speedy receiver because he can run routes and we can see on tape that he is a 4.3-guy (unlike Guerendo) and he has sticky hands.

I thonk Cowing is gonna be what Shanahan thought Danny Gray was gonna be.

We shoud be more excited about this pick

Drops have been an issue for him though hes gotten a lot better there. He's got Brandon Lloyd disease where he'll make a spectacular catch one moment and drop a gimme throw the next. I'm hoping he's spending lots of quality time with the Jugs machine.
His snaps will be limited by his ability to run block. Understand he's willing but at his size we'll see how he does in the pros.
Originally posted by mcwoot:
His snaps will be limited by his ability to run block. Understand he's willing but at his size we'll see how he does in the pros.

Got watch. He's got no problem blocking.

kyle loves this stuff

he's blocking DBs not DEs
[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 7, 2024 at 5:30 AM ]
Cowing in the 4th >>>>worthy in the 1st
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I mean we still took a WR in the 1st anyways so not sure why that's important to point out lol
Originally posted by 49ers808:

I mean we still took a WR in the 1st anyways so not sure why that's important to point out lol

Because they're different types of receivers.
Got watch. He's got no problem blocking.

kyle loves this stuff

he's blocking DBs not DEs

In all honesty, that is all he should be blocking. Maybe be the occasional LB obstacle, just be a turnstile.
But it would be horrible play design if he is responsible for the edge.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
In all honesty, that is all he should be blocking. Maybe be the occasional LB obstacle, just be a turnstile.
But it would be horrible play design if he is responsible for the edge.

That's loser behavior. I want him out there blocking NTs otherwise it's nothing to get excited about.

Let me tell you guys a few things. The highlights at Arizona are nothing compared to his highlights at UTEP. This guy was an giant among boys. He was easily the best player in the conference and it wasn't close. I live in El Paso and told you all about Aaron Jones when he got drafted... We get like 1 player every 5 years or so that is just insanely talented. I was hurt emotionally when he transferred to AZ but it clearly got him drafted. We have pretty much 0 QB play here (sorry garret) and opposing defenses knew to stop Cowing and it would be over. This guy will make the roster , he's a good kid and plays hard. Has a knack for the position. Aaron Jones but in WR form. I could not be more stoked that a UTEP Miner is on the 49ers now!!! LFG!!!!!
Originally posted by Stevec9932:
Let me tell you guys a few things. The highlights at Arizona are nothing compared to his highlights at UTEP. This guy was an giant among boys. He was easily the best player in the conference and it wasn't close. I live in El Paso and told you all about Aaron Jones when he got drafted... We get like 1 player every 5 years or so that is just insanely talented. I was hurt emotionally when he transferred to AZ but it clearly got him drafted. We have pretty much 0 QB play here (sorry garret) and opposing defenses knew to stop Cowing and it would be over. This guy will make the roster , he's a good kid and plays hard. Has a knack for the position. Aaron Jones but in WR form. I could not be more stoked that a UTEP Miner is on the 49ers now!!! LFG!!!!!

Like all receivers coming out of college the biggest issues will be his blocking and his ability to get off the line and into his route quickly. If you can't do those 2 things then you'll have trouble getting much playing time.
Good looking wr but needs to add size. I'm guessing they are hoping he hits the weights and gets bigger. Not sure how he'll sniff playing time at WR here. There is a long line.
Originally posted by 49ers808:

Because people wanted Worthy because he's fast. Cowing is a similar prospect who actually has some dog in him, runs better routes imo and cost a 10th of the draft capital. Ricky is a totally different WR than Worthy.

it was never about not taking a WR in the first, it was using a 1st on Worthy.
Originally posted by Stevec9932:

I loved Jones in the draft process! Thanks for the info 😎
Share 49ersWebzone