There are 203 users in the forums

*** 2024-25 Depth Chart, 53-Man Roster, & TC Battles***

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I've been pleasantly surprised with how well Saubert and Tonges have played so far. Tonges in particular has really good hands. I think the last TE spot is between Tonges and Latu. Either they try to salvage Latu and put Tonges on PS or cut Latu altogether.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
I've been pleasantly surprised with how well Saubert and Tonges have played so far. Tonges in particular has really good hands. I think the last TE spot is between Tonges and Latu. Either they try to salvage Latu and put Tonges on PS or cut Latu altogether.

I even like Brayden Willis over Latu.

Kittle
Saubert
Tonges
Willis
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I even like Brayden Willis over Latu.

Kittle
Saubert
Tonges
Willis

I'd flip the order
  1. Kittle
  2. Saubert
  3. Willis
  4. Tonges
The 49ers history suggests that they are willing to release early round picks like Latu when it is clear they don't fit (see Sermon, Davis-Price, Pettis)
[ Edited by hummbabybear_1 on Aug 18, 2024 at 4:04 PM ]
Originally posted by hummbabybear_1:
I'd flip the order
  1. Kittle
  2. Saubert
  3. Willis
  4. Tonges
The 49ers history suggests that they are willing to release early round picks like Latu when it is clear they don't fit (see Sermon, Davis-Price, Pettis)

Agree on the first three. I think they are locks.

Tonges has already been on the PS and he knows the system. Plus I'm biased because I remember him when he was at Cal lol.
Alright.. Here's my guess right now.

QB: PURDY, DOBBS
RB: MCCAFFREY, MITCHELL, MASON, BREIDA, JUICE
WR: SAMUEL, AIYUK, JENNINGS, COWING, PEARSALL, CONLEY
TE: KITTLE, SAUBERT, WILLIS
OL: WILLIAMS, BANKS, BRENDEL, PUNI, MCKIVITZ, FELICIANO, HUBBARD, BURFORD, MOORE

DL: BOSA, FLOYD, GROSS-MATOS, BEAL, HARGRAVE, ELLIOT, COLLINS, GIVENS, ANDERSON, BROWN
LB: WARNER, CAMPBELL, ROBINSON, WINTERS, DFF
CB: WARD, LENOIR, YIADOM, GREEN, LUTER, WOMACK
S: BROWN, HUFANGA, MUSTAPHA, ODOM

ST: MOODY, WISH, PEPPER

IR/PUP: GUERENDO, GREENLAW, AMBRY, KALIA DAVIS
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Aug 19, 2024 at 4:59 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Brock
Dobbs
Mordecai
Allen.
Linebacker last three spots and WLB starter; and last two corner spots are the most interesting to me as far as position battles go. At this point, I feel like the WR room has shaken out to be what it always supposed to be naturally. They could cut Conley to stash on PS but Gray Taylor and Bell have been dreadful.

They will carry three qbs as always and will place Mordecai on PS.

Very few healthy RBs so someone like Guerendo might be put on ir to start the season but no one really important to prevent from going on waivers. Schrader is a ps guy. Breida is a ps guy who can be elevated. With Deebo on the roster I don't think you worry about your #3 RB much.

Safety, I kinda liked the Walker pickup, but they won't carry five so he goes on PS too and then Huf if needed goes to IR

Edge looks very devoid of depth with Drake done. One injury to Floyd or Gros-Matos and we're looking at Barrett in the rotation? Won't be surprised if they pick up another edge vet before the season or in the first few weeks.

TE, either they carry three, or they keep Latu from waivers, or they have Tonges as #4. I think the second option and they give Latu another chance he doesn't really deserve.
Offense: 26

QB: Purdy, Dobbs
RB: McCaffrey, Mitchell, Mason, Schrader
FB: Juszczyk
WR: Deebo, Aiyuk, Jennings, Pearsall, Cowing
TE: Kittle, Saubert, Latu, Willis
OL: Williams, Banks, Brendel, Puni, McKivitz, Moore, Feliciano, Burford, Kingston, Zakelj

Defense: 24

DL: Bosa, Hargrave, Collins, Floyd, Elliott, Gross-Matos, Givens, Beal
LB: Warner, Winters, Campbell, Graham, Robinson, Bethune
CB: Ward, Lenoir, Green, Yiadom, Ya-Sin, Luter
FS: Brown, Odum
SS: Hufanga, Mustapha

Special Teams: 3

PK: Moody
P: Wishnowsky
LS: Pepper

Yes, I still have Latu making it.

I'm not sure on Guerendo, was he put on PUP or do they have to decide if he'll be ready early in the season, IR him now and have him miss the season, or carry him on the 53 then IR him to bring him back when ready?
[ Edited by btthepunk on Aug 19, 2024 at 6:44 PM ]
I think we got the best backup punter in the league. What do we do with that?

Originally posted by btthepunk:

OL: Williams, Banks, Brendel, Puni, McKivitz, Moore, Feliciano, Burford, Kingston, Zakelj

LB: Warner, Winters, Campbell, Graham, Robinson
CB: Ward, Lenoir, Green, Yiadom, Ya-Sin, Luter, Womack

I'm not sure on Guerendo, was he put on PUP or do they have to decide if he'll be ready early in the season, IR him now and have him miss the season, or carry him on the 53 then IR him to bring him back when ready?

I honestly could see Brown and Mustapha being both starters at Safety. If Hufanga is not healthy or ready. They are both athletic, young and instinctive.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

LB: Warner, Winters, Campbell, Graham, Robinson
CB: Ward, Lenoir, Green, Yiadom, Ya-Sin, Luter, Womack

I honestly could see Brown and Mustapha being both starters at Safety. If Hufanga is not healthy or ready. They are both athletic, young and instinctive.

I agree. I feel like Hufanga is going to be ready but if not I see the same.

Trade to some hapless team
  • da209
  • Veteran

Doesn't look bad at all. I believe he's cheaper than Mitch as well. only concern would be the consistency on holding the FG kicks.

Trade him for a 3rd round pick.

I can see the argument where Latu has the possibility of developing into a plus blocking TE. Tonges is unlikely to be claimed by another team if released, whereas Latu is likely to be claimed. Strategically it might be better to develop Latu as part of the 53 and get Tonges to the practice squad.
Share 49ersWebzone