There are 111 users in the forums

Starting Free Safety?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
IMO it's Ji'Ayir Brown at FS, and Talanoa Hufanga at SS this season, with Malik Mustapha & George Odum as primary backups, I think Mustapha was a pick for the future, since I don't see the 49ers giving Hufanga top Safety money, they didn't sign one in FA do what those players wanted, there's a reason Justin Simmons is still a FA, asking price is likely way too high.

I see the same. They just aren't paying safeties. Ideally, I'd like to have both and given how cool the safety market is, I don't think it's a stretch unless we are outbidded.
With Huf it's gonna come down to his post injury form. With the safety market not high right now there might be more of a discount with him than the other FAs.
Originally posted by mcwoot:
Cooper Dejean

He's more valuable as a slot.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
IMO it's Ji'Ayir Brown at FS, and Talanoa Hufanga at SS this season, with Malik Mustapha & George Odum as primary backups, I think Mustapha was a pick for the future, since I don't see the 49ers giving Hufanga top Safety money, they didn't sign one in FA do what those players wanted, there's a reason Justin Simmons is still a FA, asking price is likely way too high.

I agree this is likely how this plays out. And, I have always like Hawkins. He made some big plays at the end of the year.

Side note, I'm interested to see what happens sith some of the fringe DBs like Womack this season.
Just like the guard position, the Niners don't invest a lot of money or draft capital at the safety position. If the Niners don't think Brown can handle it, look for them to sign a vet FA just like they did with Gipson a couple of seasons ago. Wish they wouldn't do this crap every single year, but the Niners are nothing if not consistent in how they do things.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Just like the guard position, the Niners don't invest a lot of money or draft capital at the safety position. If the Niners don't think Brown can handle it, look for them to sign a vet FA just like they did with Gipson a couple of seasons ago. Wish they wouldn't do this crap every single year, but the Niners are nothing if not consistent in how they do things.

Exactly but we gotta cut corners somewhere. And safety and guard are the prime positions this regime uses to cut costs.
I saw this guys comp is Bob Sanders. If he can play like him then we did well and it shows our commitment to fixing the run game. Agree we will need a center fielder for that single high look.
Lynch may just have to put down the gold jacket and put on the helmet
Originally posted by mitpdub:
I saw this guys comp is Bob Sanders. If he can play like him then we did well and it shows our commitment to fixing the run game. Agree we will need a center fielder for that single high look.
Bob Sanders without the injuries would be tremendous. I have said that he reminds me more so of Donte Whitner. That would also be tremendous value if he ends up being comparable to him.
Share 49ersWebzone