There are 126 users in the forums

49ers sign OT Chris Hubbard

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Good backup at Tackle. Starting experience. It will help this team. I still wish we would deal with it in the draft. But I like this move.
Good pick up. Still could use another.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by mcwoot:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Solid back up. They really needed any form of depth at tackle. I can dig it.

We already had a great depth Tackle. Unfortunately he's starting.

He actually been a decent starting RT throughout his career. It's a solid move in May.

That pretty much cost nothing.

Yeah not bad at all
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:

maybe a little competition for Colton during camp. He graded out better than a bunch of OTs that folks would call "better"

He tore a bicep last season. I guess that's better than recovering from a knee/leg injury.

I guess knee and legs are more important than arms for pass protection.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good pick up. Still could use another.

True. Nice start though.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by thl408:

maybe a little competition for Colton during camp. He graded out better than a bunch of OTs that folks would call "better"

He tore a bicep last season. I guess that's better than recovering from a knee/leg injury.

I guess knee and legs are more important than arms for pass protection.

My logic is that there's always a question whether a player will come back to where he was after suffering a season ending leg injury. With a bicep injury, just do a bunch of curls and the bicep will be buff again.
As a PFF comparison, McKivitz rated 58 in pass protection last season, and 67 in run blocking.

Hubbard was 68 in pass protection and 64 in run blocking.

Like the two drafted OLs this year, this is another move emphasizing better pass protection.
Originally posted by dj43:
As a PFF comparison, McKivitz rated 58 in pass protection last season, and 67 in run blocking.

Like the two drafted OLs this year, this is another move emphasizing better pass protection.

34th ranked OT last yr. Better than some other guys that people would call better than him.

34th ranked OT last yr. Better than some other guys that people would call better than him.

I would want him to start over McKivitz bc Hubbard didn't allow the MOST sacks last season and among the leaders in pressures…..I would have to say McKivitz allowed a PLETHORA of sacks and pressures

McKivitz was ranked 47th. Perhaps the larger incremental improvement in PP with Hubbard would offset McKivitz's advantage in run blocking.

Originally posted by elguapo:

I would want him to start over McKivitz bc Hubbard didn't allow the MOST sacks last season and among the leaders in pressures…..I would have to say McKivitz allowed a PLETHORA of sacks and pressures

I agree.

I would expect McKivitz to improve this season, especially now with the competition from Hubbard. Hubbard's PP rating is high average though he only played 473 snaps before injury.
Originally posted by elguapo:

I agree.

I would expect McKivitz to improve this season, especially now with the competition from Hubbard. Hubbard's PP rating is high average though he only played 473 snaps before injury.

Yeah, sometimes I wish Shanahan would wise up and start the better player. Even if it goes against our continuity, the reality is McKivitz is not good.
Can definitely see this guy beating out McKivitz. Im sure this was a signing to upgrade our line in case McKivitz shows no sign of improvement
I knew they would make a move like this when they didn't draft a OT to not play in the first round
Share 49ersWebzone