There are 107 users in the forums

49ers sign OT Chris Hubbard

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
As a PFF comparison, McKivitz rated 58 in pass protection last season, and 67 in run blocking.

Hubbard was 68 in pass protection and 64 in run blocking.

Like the two drafted OLs this year, this is another move emphasizing better pass protection.

34th ranked OT last yr. Better than some other guys that people would call better than him.

I would want him to start over McKivitz bc Hubbard didn't allow the MOST sacks last season and among the leaders in pressures…..I would have to say McKivitz allowed a PLETHORA of sacks and pressures

I agree.

I would expect McKivitz to improve this season, especially now with the competition from Hubbard. Hubbard's PP rating is high average though he only played 473 snaps before injury.

Yeah, sometimes I wish Shanahan would wise up and start the better player. Even if it goes against our continuity, the reality is McKivitz is not good.

McKivitz did make some improvement as the season went along, however, only a fool would say he was the answer at the end of the year, and that was clear to everyone.

I applaud the moves the FO made to improve the OL in the draft. I had hoped for more but as Tariq Ahmad recalled, the board did not fall their way. So, they make this move for Hubbard. He is a solid OT.

To your point about playing the best player; I think Shanahan is saying he will play the best player at RT, hence the Hubbard signing. We all know he doesn't like to play rookies so this makes sense.
🏆
Originally posted by Brucey72:
Swing Tackle? He has the starting experience and can't be worse than Moore

If this deal includes any guaranteed money, then yeah I think he's on the 53-man over Jaylon Moore as the Swing Tackle.

But a 1yr $1.375M deal isn't a big deal, he either got a veteran minimum deal, which would actually be worth $1,377,500, but only count $1,152,500 against the cap, if he got $167,500 in bonus money, now if it is a flat $1.375M, he got a $1.21M base & $165K in bonus money, likely a signing bonus.

My gut says he got the league minimum deal so he doesn't count $1.375M against the cap, and he likely got some form of a per game roster bonus, since he was on IR last year, which would lower his cap number more, but the 49ers would need the difference to pay him back this season.
Maybe tie some weights to his balls so he can at least weigh 300 lbs Chris Jones might feast on this guy
As a PFF comparison, McKivitz rated 58 in pass protection last season, and 67 in run blocking.

Like the two drafted OLs this year, this is another move emphasizing better pass protection.

34th ranked OT last yr. Better than some other guys that people would call better than him.

I would want him to start over McKivitz bc Hubbard didn't allow the MOST sacks last season and among the leaders in pressures…..I would have to say McKivitz allowed a PLETHORA of sacks and pressures

I agree.

I would expect McKivitz to improve this season, especially now with the competition from Hubbard. Hubbard's PP rating is high average though he only played 473 snaps before injury.

Yeah, sometimes I wish Shanahan would wise up and start the better player. Even if it goes against our continuity, the reality is McKivitz is not good.

McKivitz did make some improvement as the season went along, however, only a fool would say he was the answer at the end of the year, and that was clear to everyone.

I applaud the moves the FO made to improve the OL in the draft. I had hoped for more but as Tariq Ahmad recalled, the board did not fall their way. So, they make this move for Hubbard. He is a solid OT.

To your point about playing the best player; I think Shanahan is saying he will play the best player at RT, hence the Hubbard signing. We all know he doesn't like to play rookies so this makes sense.

I hope you're right and Shanahan does give him a fair chance to unseat McKivitz. I think Hubbard is better at recognizing stunts and overall a better pass blocker. Not great against power rushers but McKivitz isn't either.

I agree.

I hope you're right and Shanahan does give him a fair chance to unseat McKivitz. I think Hubbard is better at recognizing stunts and overall a better pass blocker. Not great against power rushers but McKivitz isn't either.

saw this
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Honestly looks much better than McKivitz on those highlights. He's going to lose his job. LOL.
Both Hubbard and Zakelj ended the season with a bicep injury, but as far as I can find Hubbard's did not require surgery.
Originally posted by TopDogBerkeley:
Both Hubbard and Zakelj ended the season with a bicep injury, but as far as I can find Hubbard's did not require surgery.

Hopefully Hubbard is healthy, I think he's the Swing Tackle over Jaylon Moore, and Zakelj is cut or PS at best.
This guy could be a difference maker. Could he take McKivitz's starting job?

I agree.

saw this

I hope our coaches know this and the fact that Hubbard can at least pass of a D Lineman to pick up a stunt. I hope he's our starter but I doubt it bc Shanahan
RT1?
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
RT1?

Let's hope so. For those people that keep saying well continuity is very important among offensive lineman, it is BUT when you continuously have one of the worst, if not the very worst starting right tackle in the league you better try somebody that's better than him. That's a lot more important than continuity. He allowed the most sacks as well as the most pressures over the course of the year. Even if he improved in the second half of the season, he still gets exposed way too often to be a starter.

Solid post all the way around.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
RT1?

Nah they just gave McKivitz a $7 mil raise he's not sitting on the bench.
Share 49ersWebzone