LISTEN: Kansas City Week With Carrington Harrison →

There are 253 users in the forums

How would you want to finish the season if you know your not winning the super bowl?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How would you want to finish the season if you know your not winning the super bowl?

Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Heroism:
These responses show me why we are ok with Kyle's super bowl record as well as why we are ok with trading away B.A for an unknown draft pick.

you're free to be a Jacksonville Jaguars' fan.
He really has no clue does he lol

Nah, I'm a real 49ers fan.

Eddie D, Candlestick, 5 rings, Bill Walsh 49ers fan.

This new 2nd place celebration mentality is the "no clue" version of the faithful. But you are right, I really have no clue what its like to celebrate 2nd place.
You're actually in the same celebratory boat as every 49er fan

Not true, the die hards that understand the history would never settle for second place.

Nor would we settle for second place as being "successful". There is no one shoe fits all when it comes to Niner fans.
lol, very well true. Only one way out and it's not being a fan anymore. So you are settling with being in 2nd place
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Jul 16, 2024 at 12:27 PM ]
I apologize if your message wasn't directed at me.
[ Edited by Heroism on Jul 16, 2024 at 12:56 PM ]
These responses show me why we are ok with Kyle's super bowl record as well as why we are ok with trading away B.A for an unknown draft pick.

This new 2nd place celebration mentality is the "no clue" version of the faithful. But you are right, I really have no clue what its like to celebrate 2nd place.

Not true, the die hards that understand the history would never settle for second place.

Nor would we settle for second place as being "successful". There is no one shoe fits all when it comes to Niner fans.

This. I have a 49ers/Ravens Superbowl T shirt, wore it the day before the game. Haven't worn it since.
This is a loser question.

If I know we're not winning the SB and you're giving me the choice I would take the #1 overall pick and hope we nail the picks to help us win a SB. That's the goal.

The problem with the question is two fold - obviously we don't know what would happen. You can't win the SB if you're not IN the SB. So if you told me you can make the SB but are not guaranteed to win it, then obviously I'm taking that every year.

Second part is if you're bad enough to own the #1 pick that means something REALLY sh*tty went bad. Probably some key injuries which hurt the team long term and when you go through a s**t season like that it wears on you and likely also requires changes that hurt the team.

So do I want to see the team suck enough to own #1 overall? Of course not.
Originally posted by thl408:
Every season there are two winners: the SB winner, and the #1 overall pick winner.

LOL
i'd rather be entertained ALL SEASON and MOST OF POST than not at all. you know Kyle and John will more often than not miss on the 1st rounder anyway.
Originally posted by JimA49ers:

This. I have a 49ers/Ravens Superbowl T shirt, wore it the day before the game. Haven't worn it since.

Was at the game. Got a t shirt the day before. NEVER worn it haha.
Wow I can't believe how many 2nd place participation trophy fans there are. f**k the SB if you can't win it. Especially since we are 0 for the last 3 in just 11 years.

Draymond shares similar sentiments, "I'd rather not make the playoffs" - Draymond Green on why losing in the NBA Finals is the 'absolute 'worst'."
Originally posted by 49erKing:
Wow I can't believe how many 2nd place participation trophy fans there are. f**k the SB if you can't win it. Especially since we are 0 for the last 3 in just 11 years.

Draymond shares similar sentiments, "I'd rather not make the playoffs" - Draymond Green on why losing in the NBA Finals is the 'absolute 'worst'."
lol, imagine wanting to be the other options ^^

Draymond Green is a player, not a fan.

As a fan can you honestly tell me you enjoy the season more when we end up with the #1 overall pick, middle of the tier draft slot or make it to the SB but lose?

I know I certainly got a lot more enjoyment and happy memories/days out of the 2012/2019/2023 seasons than 2004/2016 or even 2014.

In no way does it indicate people are ok with 2nd place. It's simply people preferring not to watch their team suck all season long.
Never settle for 2nd place or just making the playoffs. That fly a division championships flag ot fans that wear division or conference championship shirts. i on'y bought SB gear when they won. I don't celebrate coming in 2nd.

Having said that it's obviously necessary to get there before you can win it. Nothing wrong with rooting for that and getting excited when they do. Getting there is an accomplishment worthy of some note but it's not the big enchilada.
so enjoy the journey, or snap you fingers and wake up with a SB ring? I've enjoyed the journey, and part of it is the heartbreak and watching the team get back up again and give it another shot. Watching a non competitive/rebuilding team isn't as fun as the thrill of a playoff contender. They'll get to the top, just be patient and enjoy the ride
I think of it as a team can build upon success. Tanking for the 1st rounder, I just don't respect.

Also, I am with boast in that I would prefer to be entertained all season. After all, NFL football is a game, entertainment... not sport (I always have to remind myself of this when the game feels manipulated).
Share 49ersWebzone