LISTEN: Kansas City Week With Carrington Harrison →

There are 208 users in the forums

2024 Training camp news/highlights

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by genus49:
Can we not worry about the Chiefs draft picks before any real games are played?

I personally liked Kingsley and wish we drafted him but let's pump the breaks. We'll see how the kid is doing once real games start. It's training camp and I'm not sure if the Chiefs even got pads on yet. We have Moore out there at LT right now, pretty sure none of us want him starting during the real games.

My concern is our guys. If they play great that's all I care about.

For real - our backups are getting first team reps today too but that doesn't change the fact that they're trash, especially that guy we have in place of Trent. Lol
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I personally liked Kingsley and wish we drafted him but let's pump the breaks. We'll see how the kid is doing once real games start. It's training camp and I'm not sure if the Chiefs even got pads on yet. We have Moore out there at LT right now, pretty sure none of us want him starting during the real games.

I, for one, can see us meeting them again in the playoffs this upcoming season.
  • Koldo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:

I, for one, can see us losing to them again in the playoffs this upcoming season.

Fixed

We're just talking man. Currently we have our career backup LT taking all the 1st string reps (who has never been good) and will be forced to pay a 36 yr old Trent whatever he wants. One because he's awesome and two because we never bring in legit competition or have any sort of plan there.

I don't care if Kinsley is gonna be great or not. They at least invested there and know you can't pay everyone massive money when you're paying a QB (among others).

It's frustrating man. Instead of legit investing in one of the most important positions on offensive (OT) they continuously ignore it and instead blow a bunch of picks at freaking RB.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
We're just talking man. Currently we have our career backup LT taking all the 1st string reps (who has never been good) and will be forced to pay a 36 yr old Trent whatever he wants. One because he's awesome and two because we never bring in legit competition or have any sort of plan there.

I don't care if Kinsley is gonna be great or not. They at least invested there and know you can't pay everyone massive money when you're paying a QB (among others).

It's frustrating man. Instead of legit investing in one of the most important positions on offensive (OT) they continuously ignore it and instead blow a bunch of picks at freaking RB.

My thoughts also. Not going after the best talent for the o line is getting old. How do you trade with Kansas City and let them take the best tackle on the board?
We're only 14 days away from the first pre season game and then only one month away from the opener. It seems like the SB just ended. Damn.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Yah I'm starting to feel this way too, they didn't even have to trade up and they could've selected Jackson Powers-Johnson, Blake Fisher, Roger Rosengarten or Kingsley Suamataia. I wanted them to take Kingsley or Zach Frazier, I also really wanted them to upgrade at Center.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by northoakland510:

My thoughts also. Not going after the best talent for the o line is getting old. How do you trade with Kansas City and let them take the best tackle on the board?

Yeah, having Kingsley would have been great. I am comparing the scouting profiles of Kingsley and Dominick, and possibly the ShanaLynch thinking was that Kingsley and Dominick were similar and ShanaLynch were ok with losing out on Kingsley and getting Dominick because (a) they still have Trent Williams (b) right guard was a bigger weakness (c) Dominick could also - possibly - play left tackle should something unforeseen happen to Trent (d) they (more like Chris Foerster) also likes Jalen Moore at left tackle if Trent cant go.

Kingsley vs Puni comparison (just reading from the scouting reports) -- Puni seems a bit faster and more agile than Kingsley, Kingsley is a bit stronger, which helps in the KC gap blocking more. Kyle runs the outside zone more than KC (I think) so a bigger Kingsley is better for KC, and a more agile Puni is better for the 49ers.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
What was your initial plan if you look at the two guard situations? You mentioned Feliciano and Puni, that leaves OL Spencer Burford as your apparent first stringer. How do you look at that right now as far as what you want to see?
"Yeah, you can tell it's great. It's hard. It's not like we're going to be able to just, I think say, 'This job belongs to, Jon, or this job belongs to Spencer, or this job belongs to Puni or whoever.' By the time this all shakes out, who knows may be the right or left guard at the position. I think Banks is set. That right guard spot, I'm not going to say it's like a wide open competition, but it's going to be interesting to see because there's three good players all, with different things that they do well, and different dynamics to the whole thing. Do you really want, even if Puni is the best player, is that the guy? Do you want him out there, opening day, Monday Night Football against the Jets? If he's the best player you do, but those are bright lights. Whereas opposed to Spence and Jon, who have done it. So there's that whole dynamic. And then it's just who's playing best, who's playing well. You have to look at Jon Feliciano as an aging player to say what's best for him, in regard to trying to make it to, hopefully there's a Week, 18, 19, 20. If there are those weeks at the end of the year, then how do you get him there and what does that look like this time of year and into the season? Same thing with Spence and Puni, it's all the same. So it's a kind of a fluid situation right now. And that's good to have. Unfortunately, there's not as much time to develop guys or have a competition, but I think it's good.
So it looks like Chris is going to give Burford the start at right guard, and he'll see if Feliciano and Puni can beat him out in preseason. Reading in between the lines of Chris' statement - Feliciano is old and with that experience - he probably wants Feliciano more at center, he wants to develop Puni, but there isn't much time and he thinks he needs another year for Puni to beat out Burford. Burford has a leg up on Puni because of experience, but the lead over Puni isn't very big.

It's frustrating Tbh, but we'll see how It all plays out.

Looking like Suamataia is taking all the 1st team reps at LT in KC…

They have no one else. He was splitting with Morris initially
Originally posted by Sickaa:

It's frustrating Tbh, but we'll see how It all plays out.

WHY would Shanny do that, it'll be an ANSWER that he does not want.. he only wants to win because of his offensive play calling ONLY... and he wants ALL the credits..
Originally posted by Giedi:
Yeah, having Kingsley would have been great. I am comparing the scouting profiles of Kingsley and Dominick, and possibly the ShanaLynch thinking was that Kingsley and Dominick were similar and ShanaLynch were ok with losing out on Kingsley and getting Dominick because (a) they still have Trent Williams (b) right guard was a bigger weakness (c) Dominick could also - possibly - play left tackle should something unforeseen happen to Trent (d) they (more like Chris Foerster) also likes Jalen Moore at left tackle if Trent cant go.

Kingsley vs Puni comparison (just reading from the scouting reports) -- Puni seems a bit faster and more agile than Kingsley, Kingsley is a bit stronger, which helps in the KC gap blocking more. Kyle runs the outside zone more than KC (I think) so a bigger Kingsley is better for KC, and a more agile Puni is better for the 49ers.

One guy is a OT the other is a OG in the NFL
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

Hey man starting reps for a rookie LT on a super bowling winning team is still impressive. If they didn't think he could handle it, they could have brought someone else in.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

Hey man starting reps for a rookie LT on a super bowling winning team is still impressive. If they didn't think he could handle it, they could have brought someone else in.

Meh. Will see
Share 49ersWebzone