LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 176 users in the forums

2024 Training camp news/highlights

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by tankle104:

It was a congratulations on the contract handshake!

Would be great if they get it done! I started to lose faith it was going to happen, hopefully I was wrong!
Originally posted by Giedi:
Definitely, losing 3 first round picks hurts. Having said that, they got a gem of a QB in Brock Purdy - ironically - dead last in the draft. In Hindsight, I'd definitely trade three first round picks for Brock.

I just wish they could use that great personnel evaluation talent they have to their advantage, vs misfiring so much in the first rounds.
well Peters is gone and we probably had our best draft in a long time on paper.. coincidence ?
same for us. Lol Aiyuk said he thought the deal was done early in the off season. Def cost us more by not closing the deal then
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Definitely, losing 3 first round picks hurts. Having said that, they got a gem of a QB in Brock Purdy - ironically - dead last in the draft. In Hindsight, I'd definitely trade three first round picks for Brock.

I just wish they could use that great personnel evaluation talent they have to their advantage, vs misfiring so much in the first rounds.
well Peters is gone and we probably had our best draft in a long time on paper.. coincidence ?

I think John Lynch is one smart dude. I've always felt most (not all) of his mistakes were on Kyle. Who knows, maybe Peters too.

John should have total control.
same for us. Lol Aiyuk said he thought the deal was done early in the off season. Def cost us more by not closing the deal then

Right, If he was on the open market, Or if we acted like it.

See one smart dude above.
[ Edited by BOI49er on Aug 1, 2024 at 12:26 PM ]

What did he say about Peter's?
Originally posted by BOI49er:

I think John Lynch is one smart dude. I've always felt most (not all) of his mistakes were on Kyle. Who knows, maybe Peters too.

Agreed. Some of the bigggest gaffes seem to be with KS, which if I recall was a similar issue when Mike used to get involved with the draft.
I will say that it looks like Peter's had a great 1st draft and offseason on paper
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

No, I don't think it's coincidence. I think QB is the hardest position to evaluate, and how they got Brock, which was more luck than skill - bodes well for our Personnel office that is missing Adam Peters. Just going back to how Brock was scouted, ranked, and finally chosen - I think - is how the 49ers have approached the 2024 without Adam Peters. They mention a lot more collaboration in the lower round picks (that got Brock), and I think they have finally implemented that collaboration with the higher round picks. I was hoping the Isaac Guerendo pick would have been an Offensive Lineman pick - So I think Kyle still has a lot of say in the draft.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

The Justin Jefferson deal threw a monkey wrench in the whole contract process. Just like, I think, the Trey Lance deal screwed up the QB draft class for 2021.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

A big part of the draft is luck. But both John and Kyle learn, I think, from each draft failure. They have been getting better each year, in my opinion. I think they *better get better each year* because they will be drafting in the late twenties and early thirties year in and year out, if all things go well with Purdy.

No way Aiyuk was going to sign early his only leverage was to wait until the majority of wrs were extended. That's exactly what he and his agent have done.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

What did he say about Peter's?
nothing, just noting a decent draft and Peter's is also gone.

Like another Poster said, A lot key positions have worked out for us so it's does allow us to draft better.

A big part of the draft is luck. But both John and Kyle learn, I think, from each draft failure. They have been getting better each year, in my opinion. I think they *better get better each year* because they will be drafting in the late twenties and early thirties year in and year out, if all things go well with Purdy.

Mike Holmgren was a great OC for us, and a great HC for Green Bay. He wasn't satisfied. He wanted player control, quit, and joined the Seahawks to get that control, and fell on his sword. They took player control away from him, and only then did he win another SB.

Coaching and personnel control are two different skill sets, and it is unusual for a coaching mind to be top notch in player evaluation too. The aptitude has to be there to benefit from the experience. We all thought Belichick was the exception, until he lost Brady. That dude wanted to dump Brady years ago for Garoppolo.

Kyle has a Great coaching brain.
[ Edited by BOI49er on Aug 1, 2024 at 1:39 PM ]
Originally posted by Izyniner:

No way Aiyuk was going to sign early his only leverage was to wait until the majority of wrs were extended. That's exactly what he and his agent have done.

Aiyuk said it himself - there where a couple times early in the off season where I thought they had a deal done and was getting ready for the signing/press conference.

they must of been really close and then something came up a few times that delayed it, then other WRs started signing and the market exploded. Then Aiyuk wanted more cause the market went up and up. Now we are were we are.

people seem to forget that at the end of the season, Aiyuk was looking at approx $23M a year deal as market value at the time.
Originally posted by Izyniner:

Aiyuk said it himself - there where a couple times early in the off season where I thought they had a deal done and was getting ready for the signing/press conference.

they must of been really close and then something came up a few times that delayed it, then other WRs started signing and the market exploded. Then Aiyuk wanted more cause the market went up and up. Now we are were we are.

people seem to forget that at the end of the season, Aiyuk was looking at approx $23M a year deal as market value at the time.

It makes more sense to me that Aiyuk delayed it knowing the market because everyone expected it. But who knows
Share 49ersWebzone