LISTEN: Patriots Preview With WEEI's Nick "Fitzy” & CMC's Germany Trip →

There are 257 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS at LOS ANGELES RAMS - 2024 Season Game 3

Shop Find 49ers gear online

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS at LOS ANGELES RAMS - 2024 Season Game 3

Originally posted by DrEll:
Originally posted by ninerfaninnorcal:
Originally posted by goatroppolo:
My only criticism on play calling was the 3rd and inches where he didn't run QB sneak. Other than that brock should have only had 2 incomplete passes if the damn WR's could catch. The pass game was dominating and honestly the rams were shutting down the run.

playing bell is a whole other discussion

It may be your only criticism but Shanahan not running a QB sneak on 3rd and inches is why he keeps losing with these big leads - he fails to put teams away. A QB sneak gives you a first down and most likely a TD. It was the same in the super bowl. He failed to put that game away as well.

And then you are relying as a result on 55 yard field goals at the end of the game.

why did he use our last TO before the half with 38 seconds to go? Keep going and keep that TO. Instead he let the defense regroup without Trent Williams and we had fumble and no points.

It is these small things that lead to missed points that lead to all these blown leads.

With his poor coaching decisions, Shanahan finds ways to keep these games close.

Yep. It's these small decisions that everyone ignores that end up biting us in the ass. Even in week 1, one of the final drives we had the ball inside the 5. It was 4th and a yard. Our running game was on fire. Kyle should do for it. At the minimum he kills off 2.5 minutes off the clock. At the maximum he gets the TD and it becomes a 20 point insurmountable lead. Instead he turtles up kicks the FG…team is up by 16, but Jets still playing hard thinking 2 TDs to tie. Now in hindsight it works out and we win, but more often than not in Kyle's head coaching career these kinds of things bite him in the ass. He's just not a good coach. He doesn't have the instincts to call a good game or play to the rhythm. He's an excellent offensive play caller though.

I love you people get into X's and O's like you actually know ANYTHING about calling an NFL game. "Shanahan not running a QB sneak...." Oh, you absolutely know for sure it would've worked? Can I get tonight's lottery numbers please?
Originally posted by raywm3:
I love you people get into X's and O's like you actually know ANYTHING about calling an NFL game. "Shanahan not running a QB sneak...." Oh, you absolutely know for sure it would've worked? Can I get tonight's lottery numbers please?

I mean it worked every other time and it was literally 3rd and a few inches. It has a high probability of working tbh
even if jimmy G sneaks would be won this game?
I don't understand the constant Kyle hate. All I've heard is Kyle this and Kyle that. Ronnie Bell catches that ball that hits him right in the hands, we're not having this discussion. We actually defend a high school level fake punt, we're not having this discussion. But the biggest thing for me is, why is Sorensen not getting absolutely blown up for his sorry ass excuse of a defensive scheme? Man, if you want to blame Kyle for anything, blame him for staffing decisions but he called a winning game plan, as he pretty much always does.
Originally posted by raywm3:
I don't understand the constant Kyle hate. All I've heard is Kyle this and Kyle that. Ronnie Bell catches that ball that hits him right in the hands, we're not having this discussion. We actually defend a high school level fake punt, we're not having this discussion. But the biggest thing for me is, why is Sorensen not getting absolutely blown up for his sorry ass excuse of a defensive scheme? Man, if you want to blame Kyle for anything, blame him for staffing decisions but he called a winning game plan, as he pretty much always does.

Fair enough. I will blame him for the embarrassing defense. He does have time to straighten that mess out. The sooner the better. He should also take care of the abysmal ST also. I don't blame Kyle for everything. But he is the head coach. The entire team is his responsibility, like it or not
I don't hate Kyle at all, but he SAF isn't above legitimate criticism. Who chose to put RB on the roster? Who chose to elevate NS to DC?

Kyle the GM hurts himself as much, if not more so, than his coaching blunders, because it is many of the players and coaches he chooses who f**k up (when it's not directly his fault).
Originally posted by PA49ersfan:
Fair enough. I will blame him for the embarrassing defense. He does have time to straighten that mess out. The sooner the better. He should also take care of the abysmal ST also. I don't blame Kyle for everything. But he is the head coach. The entire team is his responsibility, like it or not

It really is and people really don't wanna put any blame on him
  • titan
  • Veteran
ST was bad. Our DL got dominated by the Rams OL in the running game.
You hate to see a loss like that. The game was there to be won. Defense is going to have to start playing better. Losing Demeco Ryans was huge, bigger than losing Saleh. if for no other reason than we were able to replace Saleh and not miss a beat. Haven't shown we can replace Ryans yet. Some of the beat reporters were saying that the defensive line looked better this year. Can't say that has been particularly evident. Hargraves doesn't seem like he's produced much given all the money we paid him, and they still can't find anybody to help Bosa off the edge. Stafford had a lot of time to throw.

Jennings' game was a reminder of why I was surprised the team was able to sign him to an extension. He could be a legit #2 on just about any team in the league, and a borderline #1 on several others. I thought for sure he would leave for bigger money. Glad he stuck around. Especially since Aiyuk's big payday doesn't seem to have helped him hold on to the ball when it counts. I like Aiyuk but I'm not sure he's worth what they paid him. Be interesting to see what Pearsall can bring to the table when he returns.

Mooney giveth and Mooney taketh away. Hated to see him miss that kick but the team had plenty of other missteps, so I won't place the burden on him.

I really like Jordan Mason as a runner. It will be great to get McCaffery back, but even better to know we have a pounder who can help take the load off when he returns. I don't pretend to know all of the ins-and-outs of playing RB in the NFL, but it sure seemed obvious to me that Mason has deserved more carries ever since he got here. He said in the pre-season that he wasn't on the same page as Turner the first couple of years so that probably had a lot to do with it.

Brock and Fred are studs, no two ways about it.
Originally posted by titan:
ST was bad. Our DL got dominated by the Rams OL in the running game.
Defense lost the game imo. No pass rush with the grave digger taking plays off in the final minutes. Corners getting burned with no safety help because the qb had too much time. ST takes close 2nd place for the loss…every time we have a ST play I'm just hoping for something terrible not to happen. Only silver lining is Purdy was awesome and so was Jennings. Just need to get healthy and hope to sneak into the playoffs. Need a sweep on Seattle.

Babysitting crap players, why? Lol
Any studies on how many trick plays (FAKE PUNTS) the Niners get sucked into? Seems like they have this happen to them more than any other team.
Originally posted by JimA49ers:
Any studies on how many trick plays (FAKE PUNTS) the Niners get sucked into? Seems like they have this happen to them more than any other team.

Maybe it's because they rarely run those plays themselves.
Originally posted by DrEll:
Yep. It's these small decisions that everyone ignores that end up biting us in the ass. Even in week 1, one of the final drives we had the ball inside the 5. It was 4th and a yard. Our running game was on fire. Kyle should do for it. At the minimum he kills off 2.5 minutes off the clock. At the maximum he gets the TD and it becomes a 20 point insurmountable lead. Instead he turtles up kicks the FG…team is up by 16, but Jets still playing hard thinking 2 TDs to tie. Now in hindsight it works out and we win, but more often than not in Kyle's head coaching career these kinds of things bite him in the ass. He's just not a good coach. He doesn't have the instincts to call a good game or play to the rhythm. He's an excellent offensive play caller though.

You are right! I remember this too against the Jets. Kicked the fg which kept it a 2 possession game and gave the other team hope. I wanted him to go for the td.
Originally posted by JimA49ers:

Meanwhile we have a kicker that can run that we spent a high draft pick on and have not called a single fake. Not one....
Share 49ersWebzone