There are 108 users in the forums

Did Eddie D Sell His Soul to the Devil for 5 Rings?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by RiceOwensStokes:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Nothing you said, proves the Yorks don't care about winning Super Bowls. What Jed York said (if he actually did), is what a lot of people say about sports, it's about being humble if they don't win it. But while we're talking about this, why not post the actual words York said, I feel like you took things outta context. I don't remember him saying that at all.

I don't remember the exact words, I just remember listening to the interview right before the Super Bowl. Just do a quick google/youtube search and you'll find it. FYI Jed York and his parents are the Owners of the team, they aren't just "a lot of people" you'd hope for your OWNER to be a lot more passionate about a championship as if the world was on the line.

Are you serious!!! WTF do you want Jed York to say, "I'm gonna be so f**kin pissed off if we lose, we gotta win this or I'm gonna lose my f**kin mind"? He can't say that either why, because like you said he's an OWNER. Billion dollar people keep their composure and don't lose their s**t.

Umm yes? Or just refuse to do the interview until the team wins. Some of the greatest owners ever were CRAZY for their teams, Eddie D destroyed suites and fought opposing fans if the 49ers lost, George Steinbrenner was INSANE for the Yankees.

OK so some owners do lose their minds. lol

But again, point out where the Yorks don't care about losing Super Bowls. All you could do is prove that owners lose their minds, so all owners should do that? Bob Craft owner of the Patriots won more Super Bowls than the 49ers, why doesn't he act like Eddie D to show fans he cares?

Again, the 49ers went to three Super Bowls since the Yorks took over, how many have Cincy, Arizona, Jacksonville and so on have gone to? Yorks have done everything in their power to try and win one. Like Phoenix49er mentioned, they paid out millions of dollars in contracts to coaches who didn't last 1-3 seasons.

So you got that the Yorks don't care about winning Super Bowls off that one little line?

It's like that saying my dad use to tell me, "When you do good nobody remembers, when you do bad, nobody forgets".
OK so some owners do lose their minds. lol

But again, point out where the Yorks don't care about losing Super Bowls. All you could do is prove that owners lose their minds, so all owners should do that? Bob Craft owner of the Patriots won more Super Bowls than the 49ers, why doesn't he act like Eddie D to show fans he cares?

Again, the 49ers went to three Super Bowls since the Yorks took over, how many have Cincy, Arizona, Jacksonville and so on have gone to? Yorks have done everything in their power to try and win one. Like Phoenix49er mentioned, they paid out millions of dollars in contracts to coaches who didn't last 1-3 seasons.

So you got that the Yorks don't care about winning Super Bowls off that one little line?

It's like that saying my dad use to tell me, "When you do good nobody remembers, when you do bad, nobody forgets".

Jed doesn't have nearly as much T as old Eddie. but not much we can really do on that front. he's pretty good as an owner all things considered
Like I said, I don't think the Yorks want to be terrible. They don't want half empty stadiums and banners flying over it, while tv and podcasts rant how they're the worst ownership in sports every other week. It's a bad look and embarrassing on their part. But they're perfectly complacent with just being "good enough" to be a competitive/respected ball club, just not interested in being the best as long as they get their praise

Their team has been to three straight conferences championships, if they don't want to win, what does that say about nearly every other owner in football?

What do you want Jed to do? Get into screaming matches with Shanahan like his uncle did with Walsh, eventually driving Walsh out of the organization? You want him to throw s**t into the walls, make a lot of ridiculous demands, play GM like Jerry Jones in Dallas?

The best thing any ownership can do in the modern NFL is hire good people, sign the checks and get the hell out of the way. And in that regard, Jed is doing what he needs to do.

Eddie was great at spending money at a time when spending money created a competitive advantage but he had some bad character traits that also caused him to get in his own way too often. Had Walsh been paired up with a more low key owner like Kraft or the Steelers ownership then we're probably talking about a Quest for Seven or Eight right now.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Their team has been to three straight conferences championships, if they don't want to win, what does that say about nearly every other owner in football?

What do you want Jed to do? Get into screaming matches with Shanahan like his uncle did with Walsh, eventually driving Walsh out of the organization? You want him to throw s**t into the walls, make a lot of ridiculous demands, play GM like Jerry Jones in Dallas?

The best thing any ownership can do in the modern NFL is hire good people, sign the checks and get the hell out of the way. And in that regard, Jed is doing what he needs to do.

Eddie was ideal imo. he would apply what is known as organizational pressure. Walsh would be despondent after Ls. now maybe that's just Walsh's personality. but it's also Eddie having a high standard once we started winning. that intense high standard, it's like the saying that's how you get diamonds. pressure. i think KS knows he has the job in hand even without a SB for an extended period. with Eddie i'm not so sure. it's not about firing Walsh, but it is about giving proper motivation to get that thing over the line.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Eddie was ideal imo. he would apply what is known as organizational pressure. Walsh would be despondent after Ls. now maybe that's just Walsh's personality. but it's also Eddie having a high standard once we started winning. that intense high standard, it's like the saying that's how you get diamonds. pressure. i think KS knows he has the job in hand even without a SB for an extended period. with Eddie i'm not so sure. it's not about firing Walsh, but it is about giving proper motivation to get that thing over the line.

You can have high standards without starting fights constantly that third parties need to go and break up. Walsh was the 49ers dynasty. Once he was gone the franchise was coasting on the fumes of what he had left in place. And no amount of Eddie money or screaming was going to change that.

Walsh even bailed out the organization once more by bringing in Jeff Garcia when Young's concussion issues became severe.

He was one of the greatest football minds of all time. He didn't just change the franchise, he changed football. Eddie should have been kissing that guy's ass instead of wearing him down to the point where Walsh got burned out on coaching the team.
To think that an owner doesn't care about winning a SB is nonsense. If their main reason for owning the team is money it would be beneficial if they won. The value of the team increases along with revenue from merchandise sales.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
That's like saying did the Patriots sell there soul for 6 rings?

No they had Tom Brady!

Tom Brady was a fan of Eddie D back in the 80's.

Eddie D was a GOD! This is why we haven't won since.
Eddie D knew what it took to win and there is nothing he wouldn't do to win.

Let's be honest, if the Rams didn't turn down Bill Walsh, its very likely that Eddie isn't remembered for anything more than being a hothead that couldn't win a SB.

Walsh was the primary reason for why the 49ers ever had a successful run in the first place. He was a legendary coach that helped build and coach a legendary roster and continually came up with future HOFers.

Without Walsh, it's unlikely that the 49ers would have had any sustained success and Eddie kept picking fights with that guy and finally drove him from out of his job and at the age of 59. It's possible that Bill might have coached the team for another decade without Eddie constantly chirping at him all the time.

You're probably right. Fans shouldn't forget that he hired Joe Thomas as his first GM who proceeded to make a couple terrible trades giving up multiple draft picks for OJ. He realized that he made a mistake and lucked out when he hired Walsh. Bill had some bay area roots at San Jose State and was coaching at Stanford just a few miles down the road. He was eager for a chance to coach in the NFL after being passed over in Cincinnati.

But the fact of the matter is that he did hire Walsh, plus he won two super bowls without Walsh.

To me there is a connection between the greatest owner - Eddie D and the greatest coach - Bill Walsh of all time. They were a match made in heaven.

Our current owners are clueless when it comes to reaching the top of the mountain, just guessing every year and then right when we get near the top we come tumbling down. Eddie D sat at the top of the mountain all alone!

He was willing to do what others weren't willing to do; Pay more, Work Harder, Hire the right people and manage them and their ego's, and cut corners. The man was addicted to success like no other. The closest thing to him was BB & Kraft (see; deflate gate, sign stealing, ect.), willing to do whatever it takes.

Meanwhile the York's are more interested in Santa Clara City politics than super bowls.
Originally posted by DrEll:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by English:
So, gents, how would Eddie have got around the salary cap?

There was a salary cap when Eddie D won his last super bowl. He brought in Deon Sanders one of the biggest free agent moves of all time.

That's how Eddie D would have handled the salary cap.

Everything he did was first class, top of the line.
You don't know your history, and it's why you are having a hard time now

is that right?

Anytime you prop up the 80s/90s teams and make the current iteration look bad, some of these guys take offense. What you said is perfectly right. The players of that era would openly celebrate EddieD. He changed the mentality of this franchise. First class flights. Private hotel suites. Winning mentality for the team. God forbid you hold Jed or Kyle accountable. These guys will jump down your throat. Kinda pathetic what this fanbase has become

Thank you sir!

PR spin means nothing to the true faithful that witnessed the greatness.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

He knew how to manage people, if he was here he could have managed Harbaugh like no one else could have.
He knew how to manage people, if he was here he could have managed Harbaugh like no one else could have.

The only difference between Jed and Harbaugh and Eddie and Bill Walsh is that in one of those you had a Carmen Policy to break up the constant fights.

And even then things got weird between Policy and Eddie towards the end as Eddie was reportedly upset that Policy was being too carefree with signing bonuses and spending too much money. Feeling like he was being pushed out of the organization by Eddie, Policy left and ended up joining up with the new Browns investment group.

The only difference between Jed and Harbaugh and Eddie and Bill Walsh is that in one of those you had a Carmen Policy to break up the constant fights.

And even then things got weird between Policy and Eddie towards the end as Eddie was reportedly upset that Policy was being too carefree with signing bonuses and spending too much money. Feeling like he was being pushed out of the organization by Eddie, Policy left and ended up joining up with the new Browns investment group.

None of that changes the fact that he managed it and they won 5 super bowls on his watch.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
To think that an owner doesn't care about winning a SB is nonsense. If their main reason for owning the team is money it would be beneficial if they won. The value of the team increases along with revenue from merchandise sales.

EXACTLY!!!!!!

EXACTLY!!!!!!

Washington/Raiders???
[ Edited by glorydayz on Oct 17, 2024 at 12:04 PM ]
Just before the last Super Bowl Jed York was doing an interview and he said something along the lines of "if the 49ers don't win it, it's not the end of the world, we'll be fine" wtf kind of statement is that???? Eddie D would've never

What he said was this:

"I felt more pressure the first two. I know what it's like to lose a Super Bowl. I'm still alive. It didn't kill me. I think that's the altitude I feel I'm taking."

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/super-bowl-2024/exclusive-49ers-owner-jed-york-super-bowl/3447330/?os=vbkn42t...&ref=app

This hardly indicates he doesn't care about winning. Of course he cares. He just also knows that at that point, the week before the Super Bowl, he has zero control over how the game will play out, so why have it impact your mental health so greatly? This also doesn't prevent him from making changes in the offseason win or lose the SB. Thankfully he's not that impulsive anymore. If the 49ers ever bottom out with Shanahan he may make a change. We're not close to that occurring right now.
[ Edited by captveg on Oct 17, 2024 at 12:39 PM ]
Originally posted by captveg:
Just before the last Super Bowl Jed York was doing an interview and he said something along the lines of "if the 49ers don't win it, it's not the end of the world, we'll be fine" wtf kind of statement is that???? Eddie D would've never

What he said was this:

"I felt more pressure the first two. I know what it's like to lose a Super Bowl. I'm still alive. It didn't kill me. I think that's the altitude I feel I'm taking."

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/super-bowl-2024/exclusive-49ers-owner-jed-york-super-bowl/3447330/?os=vbkn42t...&ref=app

This hardly indicates he doesn't care about winning. Of course he cares. He just also knows that at that point, the week before the Super Bowl, he has zero control over how the game will play out, so why have it impact your mental health so greatly? This also doesn't prevent him from making changes in the offseason win or lose the SB. Thankfully he's not that impulsive anymore. If the 49ers ever bottom out with Shanahan he may make a change. We're not close to that occurring right now.

I can agree with this, Jed grew up on the field so I would never say any owner doesn't CARE about winning the super bowl. Jed was a kid on the field for all those super bowls from my understanding.

I'm just pointing out that for whatever reason we can't close the deal. The owners don't seem to be concerned about that.

What would Eddie have done if his team lossed 2-3 super bowls in a row?
Share 49ersWebzone