There are 121 users in the forums

Did Eddie D Sell His Soul to the Devil for 5 Rings?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by RiceOwensStokes:
Just before the last Super Bowl Jed York was doing an interview and he said something along the lines of "if the 49ers don't win it, it's not the end of the world, we'll be fine" wtf kind of statement is that???? Eddie D would've never

What he said was this:

"I felt more pressure the first two. I know what it's like to lose a Super Bowl. I'm still alive. It didn't kill me. I think that's the altitude I feel I'm taking."

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/super-bowl-2024/exclusive-49ers-owner-jed-york-super-bowl/3447330/?os=vbkn42t...&ref=app

This hardly indicates he doesn't care about winning. Of course he cares. He just also knows that at that point, the week before the Super Bowl, he has zero control over how the game will play out, so why have it impact your mental health so greatly? This also doesn't prevent him from making changes in the offseason win or lose the SB. Thankfully he's not that impulsive anymore. If the 49ers ever bottom out with Shanahan he may make a change. We're not close to that occurring right now.

I can agree with this, Jed grew up on the field so I would never say any owner doesn't CARE about winning the super bowl. Jed was a kid on the field for all those super bowls from my understanding.

I'm just pointing out that for whatever reason we can't close the deal. The owners don't seem to be concerned about that.

What would Eddie have done if his team lossed 2-3 super bowls in a row?
no amount of money or crazy contracts would change the out comes in those games.. what don't you get ?
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Oct 17, 2024 at 1:16 PM ]
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Just before the last Super Bowl Jed York was doing an interview and he said something along the lines of "if the 49ers don't win it, it's not the end of the world, we'll be fine" wtf kind of statement is that???? Eddie D would've never

What he said was this:

"I felt more pressure the first two. I know what it's like to lose a Super Bowl. I'm still alive. It didn't kill me. I think that's the altitude I feel I'm taking."

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/super-bowl-2024/exclusive-49ers-owner-jed-york-super-bowl/3447330/?os=vbkn42t...&ref=app

This hardly indicates he doesn't care about winning. Of course he cares. He just also knows that at that point, the week before the Super Bowl, he has zero control over how the game will play out, so why have it impact your mental health so greatly? This also doesn't prevent him from making changes in the offseason win or lose the SB. Thankfully he's not that impulsive anymore. If the 49ers ever bottom out with Shanahan he may make a change. We're not close to that occurring right now.

I can agree with this, Jed grew up on the field so I would never say any owner doesn't CARE about winning the super bowl. Jed was a kid on the field for all those super bowls from my understanding.

I'm just pointing out that for whatever reason we can't close the deal. The owners don't seem to be concerned about that.

no amount money or crazy contracts would change the out comes in those games.. what don't you get ?

It's frustrating that they haven't been able to win but they got there. You don't even have a chance to win if you don't get there first. Once you're in the SB anything can happen. It's not like the WS or NBA where it's a 7 game series. One bad game or one or two bad breaks and you lose. Back in the 80s the gap between NFC and AFC teams was huge. It was pretty much accepted that whoever won the NFC title would win the SB. The NFC won 15 out of 16 beginning in 1982. All but 3 were by 10 points or more. Now the AFC is a little stronger but the gap in talent is nowhere near what it was in the 80s. We aren't seeing those big blowout wins like the Niners, Cowboys, Redskins and Bears had.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Oct 17, 2024 at 1:28 PM ]

What he said was this:

He'd probably be on his 20th coach by now unless he got lucky and hit the jackpot like he did with Walsh. He had a good coach in Seifert but ran him away just like he did with Walsh. I know Eddie is a God to some of you but its hard to say how successful he would have been without a goat QB. How would he have handled the salary cap erar? How would he have handled looking for a franchise QB after Young retired? We don't know.
Originally posted by miked1978:

What he said was this:

He'd probably be on his 20th coach by now unless he got lucky and hit the jackpot like he did with Walsh. He had a good coach in Seifert but ran him away just like he did with Walsh. I know Eddie is a God to some of you but its hard to say how successful he would have been without a goat QB. How would he have handled the salary cap erar? How would he have handled looking for a franchise QB after Young retired? We don't know.

I'm confident Eddie would have figured it out. Look at how he hired a forward thinker like himself in Walsh. Walsh had a contingency plan for everything including Joe Montana (Young) because Eddie wouldn't spare any resource as long as the team was successful. We never had to finish a NFCCG without a QB because these guys kept the QB cupboard full at all times and they didn't have to learn that the hard way.

Eddie D was just different, he was playing chess while everyone else was playing checkers.
Originally posted by miked1978:

What he said was this:

I'm confident Eddie would have figured it out. Look at how he hired a forward thinker like himself in Walsh. Walsh had a contingency plan for everything including Joe Montana (Young) because Eddie wouldn't spare any resource as long as the team was successful. We never had to finish a NFCCG without a QB because these guys kept the QB cupboard full at all times and they didn't have to learn that the hard way.

Eddie D was just different, he was playing chess while everyone else was playing checkers.
Stop with the BS make Believe that Eddie would have done this would've done that lol

, Eddie made the biggest mistake ever and got himself banned and removed from being a owner
Stop with the BS make Believe that Eddie would have done this would've done that lol

, Eddie made the biggest mistake ever and got himself banned and removed from being a owner

The conjecture about what Eddie could or would have done in a completely different era of the NFL is one thing, but I think the rose colored takes about what actually did happen are even worse. I can't tell if it's ignorance or dishonesty.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Oct 17, 2024 at 3:09 PM ]

What he said was this:

If it was a fan saying this I wouldn't have a problem, we have no control on the outcome of these games so we shouldn't get too bent out of shape over it. But IMO this is a terrible statement to make when you're the owner. If the 49ers can't get over the hump, he should be doing everything in his power to make sure they do. Bang on the table and ask Kyle and John wtf is it going to have to take to bring a championship back to Santa Clara? How many blank checks do I need to write?! That's what the Broncos did after getting blown out in 2013, that's what Eddie D did after getting eliminated by the Cowboys in back to back years, it just doesn't seem like Jed has that same mindset. But I get it, it's not my money so who am I to say how it should be spent, right? Not trying to be a dick, just how I feel about the whole situation

and to answer another question, yes most of these owners don't care about winning it all. These owners have never been more wealthy than they've been for the last 13-14 years and winning as little to do with it. See Mark Davis
[ Edited by RiceOwensStokes on Oct 17, 2024 at 3:12 PM ]

What he said was this:

If it was a fan saying this I wouldn't have a problem, we have no control on the outcome of these games so we shouldn't get too bent out of shape over it. But IMO this is a terrible statement to make when you're the owner. If the 49ers can't get over the hump, he should be doing everything in his power to make sure they do. Bang on the table and ask Kyle and John wtf is it going to have to take to bring a championship back to Santa Clara? How many blank checks do I need to write?! That's what the Broncos did after getting blown out in 2013, that's what Eddie D did after getting eliminated by the Cowboys in back to back years, it just doesn't seem like Jed has that same mindset. But I get it, it's not my money so who am I to say how it should be spent, right? Not trying to be a dick, just how I feel about the whole situation

and to answer another question, yes most of these owners don't care about winning it all. These owners have never been more wealthy than they've been for the last 13-14 years and winning as little to do with it. See Mark Davis

You keep dismissing the context of him saying this as the team is heading into the Super Bowl. What exactly can an owner do in that week to change the outcome of the game? Should he demand specific plays be run? Should he cut some guys? Should he tell the coach he has to play certain players? No - if he's a good owner he's simply forced to watch and hope at that point.

As for the rest of the year, he's written the blank checks. He can't do what Eddie did in spending infinitely, but he has spent whatever asked. It's truly a ridiculous amount of guaranteed money, both in extensions and free agents. You're suggesting he hasn't, which is absurd. He's let his football guys he's hired do their jobs without meddling. This is what you want the owner to do.

What will "banging the table" do to improve the 49ers situation? There's no available coach who is clearly better, and there's no available QB that is clearly better. This is a trap by fans like yourself. You know damn well that as soon as Jed says anything at all you'll skewer him and tell him to just STFU.
[ Edited by captveg on Oct 17, 2024 at 3:59 PM ]
None of that changes the fact that he managed it and they won 5 super bowls on his watch.

The Cowboys won a bunch of SBs with Jerry Jones. Do you think he's the reason they won or was it Jimmy Johnson and the team he put together and coached?

Owners are replaceable. There's always another ego-driven rich guy to sign checks. Someone like Walsh, a transcendent figure that changed the game forever, is irreplaceable and Eddie ran him out of the organization.

Swap Eddie out with Robert Kraft or Dan Rooney, owners that had the good sense to stay out of the way of their incredibly successful coaches and organizations and I could see Walsh sticking around a lot longer and maybe the 49ers don't lose a close NFCCG to the Giants and end up three peating with a stacked roster. Maybe they don't get completely dominated by Mike Holmgren for years. I think Walsh would have been looking for a more suitable replacement for Young a lot earlier and wouldn't have allowed the roster to start aging and thinning out so rapidly. I also don't think he would have ever traded Charles Haley to the Cowboys.

Walsh would say many years later, he still loved coaching, he still loved the grind and working with players, he just got burned out on all the other nonsense.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The Cowboys won a bunch of SBs with Jerry Jones. Do you think he's the reason they won or was it Jimmy Johnson and the team he put together and coached?

Owners are replaceable. There's always another ego-driven rich guy to sign checks. Someone like Walsh, a transcendent figure that changed the game forever, is irreplaceable and Eddie ran him out of the organization.

Swap Eddie out with Robert Kraft or Dan Rooney, owners that had the good sense to stay out of the way of their incredibly successful coaches and organizations and I could see Walsh sticking around a lot longer and maybe the 49ers don't lose a close NFCCG to the Giants and end up three peating with a stacked roster. Maybe they don't get completely dominated by Mike Holmgren for years. I think Walsh would have been looking for a more suitable replacement for Young a lot earlier and wouldn't have allowed the roster to start aging and thinning out so rapidly. I also don't think he would have ever traded Charles Haley to the Cowboys.

Walsh would say many years later, he still loved coaching, he still loved the grind and working with players, he just got burned out on all the other nonsense.

Jerry earned his gold jacket. he hired Jimmy. they were on the team together in Arkansas. i can't say i know for sure the FO roles. but they had what is in some circles considered the greatest trade of all time. that kick started their dynasty. they would have won 4 straight SBs, but for our 94 team.

• DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

The conjecture about what Eddie could or would have done in a completely different era of the NFL is one thing, but I think the rose colored takes about what actually did happen are even worse. I can't tell if it's ignorance or dishonesty.

It's reality. For your ilk, it's a way to justify the mediocrity of the current team. You use nonsense to excuse the current state of affairs in Santa Clara. Team lost 2 SBs in 5 years. Your retort….EddieD would've fared the same. Get out of here with that nonsense. The dude was 5/5 in Superbowls, and had the audacity to fire 2 head coaches that won multiple rings for him, then still hired a guy that took the team to the NFCC game his first season. And YES, part of that success was during the salary cap era. You just can't stomach it because it emphasizes how far from grace this franchise has fallen. We're no different than the Cowboys. Jerry Jones is a joke for NFL fans because he took a proud franchise and turned it into a meme for the rest of the league. We're right there with them, except we've added 3 SB losses to the tally. The sad part is you ppl celebrate those 3 losses like it was a huge accomplishment. Why ? Because 31 other teams didn't have the HONOR of LOSING 3 Super Bowls like we did. What nonsense
Originally posted by DrEll:
It's reality. For your ilk, it's a way to justify the mediocrity of the current team. You use nonsense to excuse the current state of affairs in Santa Clara. Team lost 2 SBs in 5 years. Your retort….EddieD would've fared the same. Get out of here with that nonsense. The dude was 5/5 in Superbowls, and had the audacity to fire 2 head coaches that won multiple rings for him, then still hired a guy that took the team to the NFCC game his first season. And YES, part of that success was during the salary cap era. You just can't stomach it because it emphasizes how far from grace this franchise has fallen. We're no different than the Cowboys. Jerry Jones is a joke for NFL fans because he took a proud franchise and turned it into a meme for the rest of the league. We're right there with them, except we've added 3 SB losses to the tally. The sad part is you ppl celebrate those 3 losses like it was a huge accomplishment. Why ? Because 31 other teams didn't have the HONOR of LOSING 3 Super Bowls like we did. What nonsense

I have never argued Eddie D would have fared the same as the York ownership. I can't stand them. I don't celebrate SB losses either.

You are incapable of making sound football-based, and honest, arguments.

You whine and cry because the end result in a few seasons wasn't to your liking, and you never get close to the reasons why it actually happened that way. You also have a b*****dized view of what actually happened with the 80s-90s Niners. An easy example from this often regurgitated screed of yours is that Eddie D fired Bill Walsh.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Oct 17, 2024 at 5:56 PM ]
Originally posted by DrEll:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Still making up s**t I see, lol
Share 49ersWebzone