LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 171 users in the forums

49ers 2024 Salary Cap Thread, 2024 Cap Room=$55,944,326 as of 10/5/24

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Didn't they already restructure AA? Not sure how smart it is to restructure him again and keep pushing that money down the road. At somepoint it's gonna catch up to them

They did. I'm hoping they can get this done without restructuring Armstead. Id like to have keep longer, but would rather wait until next year. See if his body holds up as it will be year 9. But this works better if we can create space and do the big cap hit for him this year.

If they restructure him again the dead hit is going to even more in the later years and hes currently 29. I hope they don't restructure him, doesn't seem like the right thing to do. But im not a cap guy so who knows lol...
[ Edited by DRCHOWDER on Feb 25, 2023 at 7:05 PM ]
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Didn't they already restructure AA? Not sure how smart it is to restructure him again and keep pushing that money down the road. At somepoint it's gonna catch up to them

They did. I'm hoping they can get this done without restructuring Armstead. Id like to have keep longer, but would rather wait until next year. See if his body holds up as it will be year 9. But this works better if we can create space and do the big cap hit for him this year.

If they restructure him again the dead hit is going to even more in the later years and hes currently 29. I hope they don't restructure him, doesn't seem like the right thing to do. But im not a cap guy so who knows lol...

Correct. That's how they got f**ked with Richburg and Dee Ford. Now AA isn't broke down like them 2 but he'll be on the downside with a major cap hit. Might aswell bite the bullet and pay him now and just extend Ward and CMC.
I'm definitely not sure how it all works but if they can convert some of Armsteads $ into a bonus can we create cap space without the restructure?
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
I'm definitely not sure how it all works but if they can convert some of Armsteads $ into a bonus can we create cap space without the restructure?
That is a restructure.

Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:

Correct. That's how they got f**ked with Richburg and Dee Ford. Now AA isn't broke down like them 2 but he'll be on the downside with a major cap hit. Might aswell bite the bullet and pay him now and just extend Ward and CMC.

Yeah, I'm thinking restructures for CMC, Warner, and the Bosa extension make the most sense. As much as I like AA, I want him playing this year at that cap number. Let us go into 2024 with him only having one more year. Then one of the following can possibly happen-

1) On the off chance, we can have a replacement at DT on a rookie contract.
2) He will be 30 and can possibly be extended for a lower APY than his current number.

I just don't like the idea of so much money being committed to a good but not dominant player as he gets older.
The salaries are so outrageous now that it's getting nearly impossible to keep teams together. I was thinking about this the other day and I came up with some numbers.

In the 60s, the top baseball players were making $100,000 per year. Guys like Mays and Mantle. True all time greats. Football players were making less than that.
You could buy a new Chevy or Ford for about $3100-$3500. Most people were making $200-$300 per week or less. Now let's put them in context with todays sports salaries.

The top players in the 3 major sports are making somewhere between $30 and $40 million per year. That's an increase of 300 to 400 times as much. If cars had increased in price at that rate and salaries had increased at that rate we would have the following.

Those same cars would cost between $930,000 and $1.2 million. That's for a Chevy or a Ford. The average salaries for the working masses would be between $90,000 and $120,000 per week. Obviously those numbers aren't even close to what cars and salaries for the average person are today. It shows how crazy the salary structure for athletes has become. Athletes are becoming multi millionaires or even billionaires while the very people who are responsible for them getting that much often struggle to buy tickets. I have to wonder how long they can sustain this constant salary escalation.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
The salaries are so outrageous now that it's getting nearly impossible to keep teams together. I was thinking about this the other day and I came up with some numbers.

In the 60s, the top baseball players were making $100,000 per year. Guys like Mays and Mantle. True all time greats. Football players were making less than that.
You could buy a new Chevy or Ford for about $3100-$3500. Most people were making $200-$300 per week or less. Now let's put them in context with todays sports salaries.

The top players in the 3 major sports are making somewhere between $30 and $40 million per year. That's an increase of 300 to 400 times as much. If cars had increased in price at that rate and salaries had increased at that rate we would have the following.

Those same cars would cost between $930,000 and $1.2 million. That's for a Chevy or a Ford. The average salaries for the working masses would be between $90,000 and $120,000 per week. Obviously those numbers aren't even close to what cars and salaries for the average person are today. It shows how crazy the salary structure for athletes has become. Athletes are becoming multi millionaires or even billionaires while the very people who are responsible for them getting that much often struggle to buy tickets. I have to wonder how long they can sustain this constant salary escalation.

I'm glad the players are making this money instead of most of it going to the owners. Would be great if this applied to all professional fields though and not just sports.
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:

I'm glad the players are making this money instead of most of it going to the owners. Would be great if this applied to all professional fields though and not just sports.

I don't see the justification in the sky high contracts. Yes I would prefer the money to go to the players rather than the owners or the television companies, but to be honest I think that money is rather dangerous, particularly for young players. Maybe these sports could become slightly more accessible for the average person? Eventually the annual escalation of contracts has got to grind to a halt.

oh by the way, let's not have any of this nonsense about how pro sportsmen only have a few years to earn money then it's over. How many careers can you name where people work for six to eight years and earns enough to cover the rest of their lives? Excluding hookers and cocaine of course.
Originally posted by English:
I don't see the justification in the sky high contracts. Yes I would prefer the money to go to the players rather than the owners or the television companies, but to be honest I think that money is rather dangerous, particularly for young players. Maybe these sports could become slightly more accessible for the average person? Eventually the annual escalation of contracts has got to grind to a halt.

oh by the way, let's not have any of this nonsense about how pro sportsmen only have a few years to earn money then it's over. How many careers can you name where people work for six to eight years and earns enough to cover the rest of their lives? Excluding hookers and cocaine of course.

Sorry just jumping in here…So you don't like capitalism? When you have an elite trait or skill that is valuable, good on them.

You got 15 yr old TikTokers making millions doing stupid dances. Dudes faking resumes becoming politicians so on and so on…at least these guys are busting their ass for a good portion of their life to reach a goal that most never get to. IMO the consumer is the bad guy, not them. We want it so we will pay for it.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Feb 26, 2023 at 10:53 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Sorry just jumping in here…So you don't like capitalism? When you have an elite trait or skill that is valuable, good on them.

You got 15 yr old TikTokers making millions doing stupid dances. Dudes faking resumes becoming politicians so on and so on…at least these guys are busting their ass for a good portion of their life to reach a goal that most never get to. IMO the consumer is the bad guy, not them. We want it so we will pay for it.

Case i point. Manny Machado just signed an 11 year extension for $350 million. I doubt he finishes that without renegotiating and asking for more since contracts are likely to continue rising. After all, there's no way he can possibly live on $31 million per year.

Fans love sports and continue to pay outrageous prices for tickets but eventually it will reach the breaking point. As I pointed out, salaries for most people are barely rising. How many people are going to be able to take their wife and maybe 2 kids to a game when tickets cost over $100 each and food prices add another $100-$150 to the bill. Instead of going to several games per year they might see one. That's not good for building a following among younger fans.

As far as the players having special skills there are many people that have special skills in their field. The difference is people don't pay to see an electrician install wiring or a doctor perform life saving surgery. The highest paid doctors don't even come close to what the top athletes make. Many athletes parlay their fame into another lucrative career after playing. Many get involved in investment companies like Harris Barton did. Some become sales reps based on their name alone.
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:

1. I actually went more went to the players who played before the real money came in. Essentially guys whose careers were played before the 80s. And I hate the proce of tickets. I think about the average person everytime I go to a game. I'm going solo and couldn't fathom taking a family to a game.

Case i point. Manny Machado just signed an 11 year extension for $350 million. I doubt he finishes that without renegotiating and asking for more since contracts are likely to continue rising. After all, there's no way he can possibly live on $31 million per year.

Fans love sports and continue to pay outrageous prices for tickets but eventually it will reach the breaking point. As I pointed out, salaries for most people are barely rising. How many people are going to be able to take their wife and maybe 2 kids to a game when tickets cost over $100 each and food prices add another $100-$150 to the bill. Instead of going to several games per year they might see one. That's not good for building a following among younger fans.

As far as the players having special skills there are many people that have special skills in their field. The difference is people don't pay to see an electrician install wiring or a doctor perform life saving surgery. The highest paid doctors don't even come close to what the top athletes make. Many athletes parlay their fame into another lucrative career after playing. Many get involved in investment companies like Harris Barton did. Some become sales reps based on their name alone.

A huge lump of their cash comes from TV rights not just what a family spends to watch it live. The NFL has created thousands of jobs outside of just athletes. This forum is just one. The 1,000s of pods, free lance writers, beat writers, all the TV shows and what goes into making them, businesses all around the city and near the stadium…it's a massive trickle down affect.

We all complain about s**t being too expensive, yet we still consume everything at a stupid rate. I don't see a breaking point ever. We will never stop consuming.

As far as athletes go…good for them using their ability to make cash. I will never hate on that. I hate the well doctors don't make as much…what's your point? No one told them to be doctors. Go learn to throw a football 70 yards on a dime and you can get paid the same. They chose to be a doctor for their own reasons.
Players don't raise the ticket prices owners do. Players just get a percentage of the pie.

If the players aren't getting the money, than the billionaire owners are and common folk will still struggle to buy tickets. Without the players there is no product and so they should be compensated fairly compared to what the NFL as a whole is raking in. I would start questioning the billionaire owners why ticket prices are so high before blaming it all on the players.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Players don't raise the ticket prices owners do. Players just get a percentage of the pie.

Pretty much that's what the CBA is for. Revenue goes up their piece of the pie goes up. Massive TV deals are why the cap is going up.

ticket prices matter but they're not the biggest contributor as far as revenue goes.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Pretty much that's what the CBA is for. Revenue goes up their piece of the pie goes up. Massive TV deals are why the cap is going up.

ticket prices matter but they're not the biggest contributor as far as revenue goes.

This is a fact. That is solely owner driven. They aren't hurting. The economics of today's NFL ensures that.
Share 49ersWebzone