There are 258 users in the forums

49ers 2024 Salary Cap Thread, 2024 Cap Room=$55,944,326 as of 10/5/24

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by kirkscrafford:
AB, facing the inevitable, what happens if Trent retires next year or the year after. There must be some big chunks of dead money?

Good question, I was under the impression that if a player Retires - all the remaining bonus and cap becomes clear.

Any GTD money if forfeited, so if he retired this year he would forfeit his $16.3M that's now fully GTD. But dead money would still exist, the team can go after the signing bonus prorations, idk about the option bonus prorations since they picked up his 2024-2026 option years.

I hope he stays around! I think something that helped him a lot was that year off, even though it wasn't for a good thing, but that rest on his body probably helped a ton. Not many elite players get a physically healthy year off from
The pros midway through his career
posting this incase others haven't seen the update on Darnolds salary cap hit. He counts $5.1M against the cap this season because if likely to hit incentives.

AB can correct me if I'm wrong, if Darnold doesn't earn these, I believe we will get the cap space back next year.
posting this incase others haven't seen the update on Darnolds salary cap hit. He counts $5.1M against the cap this season because if likely to hit incentives.

AB can correct me if I'm wrong, if Darnold doesn't earn these, I believe we will get the cap space back next year.

Correct if Darnold doesn't see the field we get the $1.2M back in 2024.
New article, https://49erscap.com/index.php/2023/04/11/explaining-how-the-49ers-can-sign-their-draft-class-without-creating-additional-cap-room/

is his whole contract a good thing or bad thing?
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:

I don't see anything wrong with Darnold's deal, has up to $7M in incentives, but hopefully he doesn't have to see the field.
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:

I don't see anything wrong with Darnold's deal, has up to $7M in incentives, but hopefully he doesn't have to see the field.

From my perspective.. I don't see how it isn't a good thing.
Most likely he never sees the field and we get back $1.2M because our starter stayed healthy and he didn't earn certain incentives. All while pushing Lance to be better.

or our starter(s) get injured and he fills in (hopefully admirably) and we have to pay him a few more mil next year.

we have two #3 overall picks as QB2/3 right now, that's a pretty cool position to be in, possibly unheard of. Especially when you factor in QB1 as pick 262 hahahah
AB - how likely do you think it is that we do some more contract restructures to clear additional cap space to have during the season and for extensions like Bosa?

also, what do you anticipate happening with CMC contract since he doesn't have any guaranteed money left? Do you think he would restructure to help the team in the short term and lock himself in some money for future seasons?
Most likely he never sees the field and we get back $1.2M because our starter stayed healthy and he didn't earn certain incentives. All while pushing Lance to be better.

or our starter(s) get injured and he fills in (hopefully admirably) and we have to pay him a few more mil next year.

we have two #3 overall picks as QB2/3 right now, that's a pretty cool position to be in, possibly unheard of. Especially when you factor in QB1 as pick 262 hahahah

Exactly.

AB - how likely do you think it is that we do some more contract restructures to clear additional cap space to have during the season and for extensions like Bosa?

also, what do you anticipate happening with CMC contract since he doesn't have any guaranteed money left? Do you think he would restructure to help the team in the short term and lock himself in some money for future seasons?

I don't see many more restructures, maybe 1 more for in season moves, but honestly unless they want to sign someone in FA to a nice sized deal, they'll only need Bosa's extension done to have cap room for in season moves. I think its bargain bin shopping rest of the way in FA unless someone comes really cheaper than we thought he would.

Exactly.

I don't see many more restructures, maybe 1 more for in season moves, but honestly unless they want to sign someone in FA to a nice sized deal, they'll only need Bosa's extension done to have cap room for in season moves. I think its bargain bin shopping rest of the way in FA unless someone comes really cheaper than we thought he would.

Got it. So Bosa's extension doesn't really have an impact on this years salary cap, right? It would impact next season and beyond?

I'm curious how his salary cap hits will be structured. Any thoughts based on our cap situation and previous signing bonuses?

This is purely an example and I'm just choosing easy numbers to use:
Are teams capped on how much a signing bonus can be? For example, say we sign Bosa to a $80M 3 year deal - can we give a $50M signing bonus and give him $10M a year in it over 5 years. Then break the remaining $30M over 3 years? Making it a $20M cap hit?

Someone was telling me that signing bonuses are whatever ownership wants to commit to but I wasn't sure if that was true.

Exactly.

Got it. So Bosa's extension doesn't really have an impact on this years salary cap, right? It would impact next season and beyond?

I'm curious how his salary cap hits will be structured. Any thoughts based on our cap situation and previous signing bonuses?

Are teams capped on how much a signing bonus can be? For example, say we sign Bosa to a $80M 3 year deal - can we give a $50M signing bonus and give him $10M a year in it over 5 years. Then break the remaining $30M over 3 years? Making it a $20M cap hit?

Someone was telling me that signing bonuses are whatever ownership wants to commit to but I wasn't sure if that was true.

There's no real limit to what kind of signing bonus amount you can give out, but teams need to have that cash to payout to the player, cash is different than cap room. Bosa likely gets a $30M-$35M signing bonus.

As for Bosa's deal affecting this year, they'll save money, then in 2024 it'll be lower than his APY, but starting in 2025-beyond it'll be really high.

Exactly.

There's no real limit to what kind of signing bonus amount you can give out, but teams need to have that cash to payout to the player, cash is different than cap room. Bosa likely gets a $30M-$35M signing bonus.

As for Bosa's deal affecting this year, they'll save money, then in 2024 it'll be lower than his APY, but starting in 2025-beyond it'll be really high.

Oh.. so signing bonuses are payed upfront? Then the hit on the cap is just spread out over 5 or so years?

i was looking at signing bonuses as guaranteed money but they get it over a period of time. That makes sense actually, that's why sometimes teams demand some of it back.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Apr 13, 2023 at 11:32 AM ]

Exactly.

Oh.. so signing bonuses are payed upfront? Then the hit on the cap is just spread out over 5 or so years?

i was looking at signing bonuses as guaranteed money but they get it over a period of time. That makes sense actually, that's why sometimes teams demand some of it back.

Correct, signing bonuses are usually paid upfront, unless it's a big bonus, then they have installment payments that the team makes to the player, the player gets the bonus by the end of the league year usually, you'll see top draft picks get this, they won't get their signing bonus all upfront, but they get by the end of the league year.
Correct, signing bonuses are usually paid upfront, unless it's a big bonus, then they have installment payments that the team makes to the player, the player gets the bonus by the end of the league year usually, you'll see top draft picks get this, they won't get their signing bonus all upfront, but they get by the end of the league year.

Hmm very interesting. Do you know they do that sometimes? Is more of just a "cash on hand" thing? Or is it more of a motivation factor?

Whoever drafts that DT Carter from Georgia should DEF do that with him. Hahaha dude doesn't seem motivated at all

Don't have to clear cap space for Bosa. Bosa's extension will actually lower his 2023 cap. They should gain like $13 Million in cap space after his extension. It's why I wanted them to extend him prior to free agency.
Share 49ersWebzone