There are 214 users in the forums

49ers 2024 Salary Cap Thread, 2024 Cap Room=$55,944,326 as of 10/5/24

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Why would one assume they are not doing this for a reason or in an effort to hurt the team from a cap perspective?
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Originally posted by tankle104:
I wonder what the reason for this is. I feel like the team makes moves like this to give them options, Not for an exact reason.

like they can make a move for a big player or two, or they can just let it roll over and help with next year - or a combo of both! I think the team is just giving them options incase a player like CMC opens up again or we just want to carry it into next season.

Absolutely they do. They made that trade up in the draft without knowing what they were going to do once they got to 3. Kind of a strange way to do things, but in the end the finished product speaks for itself.

Well it's a bad move in the draft, IMO. But not during this time of the year. This gives us flexibility to grab someone if they become available or if we have a serious injury. With $40M+, we could have even front loaded Bosa's contract and grab a stud.
Man. I remember when I said the team should restructure AA and was shot down left and right. What a world.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
It equals being mad with all the nonsense bash that's included in your post.

if you really just posted a why with no added bashing, i would gladly fill you in. But you are making this personal

What bashing? Bringing up some bad contracts as examples of why restructuring isn't always awesome? If you call that bashing then you need to calm down man. You clearly can't have a conversation about it and are defensive as all hell.
How do they sign all these big name players and have this much cap room? LOL. The 49ers don't have a cap.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
How do they sign all these big name players and have this much cap room? LOL. The 49ers don't have a cap.

Cash is king - they're taking base salaries and converting it to signing bonuses. This gives them the ability to spread that amount of money over a 4-5 year period, how they see fit, and the player gets the money upfront.

jed has forked out over $100M in cash this off season
We have never done this. We have never gone all in to sign (probably) expensive vets after FA to enhance a roster, since ....1994?

What on earth.

What could possibly be the reason behind this surge in confidence?

Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Why would one assume they are not doing this for a reason or in an effort to hurt the team from a cap perspective?

I'm assuming they're doing it to bring someone in (fingers crossed)….if it's just to clear a bunch of cap space right now and do nothing with it. Personally I don't get it.
Cash is king - they're taking base salaries and converting it to signing bonuses. This gives them the ability to spread that amount of money over a 4-5 year period, how they see fit, and the player gets the money upfront.

Kittle said they didn't do that with his contract actually. I don't think they did it with AA either (or anyone else), they added voided years to spend out the cap hit, which basically just adds more DM in the future. Unless they extended AA and Kittle by then.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Sep 9, 2023 at 11:08 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Kittle said they didn't do that with his contract actually.

I saw that! Lol it confused me. I wonder if he was messing with them cause I've followed the transactions online and everything says it did do that. (Signing bonus restructure). AB said the NFLPA website said it was a signing bonus conversion too.

i wonder if kittle was messing around or if there is more to it that we are missing.

I saw that! Lol it confused me. I wonder if he was messing with them cause I've followed the transactions online and everything says it did do that. (Signing bonus restructure). AB said the NFLPA website said it was a signing bonus conversion too.

i wonder if kittle was messing around or if there is more to it that we are missing.

Looks like they added voided yrs, spreading out their cap hits and adding years worth of DM if guys aren't extended…at least that's how I read it (could be wrong).
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Sep 9, 2023 at 11:10 AM ]

Looks like they added voided yrs, spreading out their cap hits and adding years worth of DM if guys aren't extended…at least that's how I read it (could be wrong).
Yeah, I thought it was when you convert it to signing bonus and add void years - the player gets the money upfront? That's how I've always read it to be.

maybe the void years payouts are different? I don't see why players would agree to get millions later though, honestly. Especially with todays inflation.

maybe they are doing the team a huge solid? But I doubt it. I think these guys are getting cash upfront, but I'm really not sure
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
You are definitely making it personal

In no way does it hurt us for this year and next. Just cause you don't understand, doesn't make it a bad move. You're clearly scrolling past all the advantages that's being posted here since the first restructure to bash the team

I'm making it personal after you did… Why do you always have to go that route….it's because YOU take s**t personal in here. Cut it out and have a convo.

it doesn't hurt us this very min, especially if all these guys stay healthy. Looking at AA's restructure…if he doesn't sign an extension, he's gonna be on the books thru 2027 and is only signed thru 2024. 3yrs of DM much like Ford was for not playing on this team. Trent now has a $38M cap hit when he's 38. I'm fine kicking the can down the road as long as there's a reason for doing it today…that's my whole f**king point, what are we doing it for? Are we looking to add someone, if so awesome. If not I don't see the point in doing it right now. There's absolutely no reason for you to turn that into some weird I hate the team b******t.
lol oh i made it personal for you .. yeah right

he's not going to be on the books as 26 and 27 if released, as they are void years with no gtd
Trent has an opt out after this year. he also can retire which would help us

trying hard to make this a thing is not it
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Sep 9, 2023 at 11:14 AM ]
Yeah, I thought it was when you convert it to signing bonus and add void years - the player gets the money upfront? That's how I've always read it to be.

maybe the void years payouts are different? I don't see why players would agree to get millions later though, honestly. Especially with todays inflation.

maybe they are doing the team a huge solid? But I doubt it. I think these guys are getting cash upfront, but I'm really not sure

Honestly that's how I thought it worked too.

Honestly that's how I thought it worked too.

Haha where's AB when we need him.
Share 49ersWebzone